Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What no images?
My weak spot has been Takumars...

I realised I had a problem when I began asking distant acquaintances in foreign countries to negotiate sales for me in foreign currencies just to expedite purchases of unusual lenses - luckily they just ignored me...

I agree with creampuff "You can only use one lens at a time but having too many can dull creativity because too many choices leaves you double minded.
If not, you're just a lens collector who can't shoot for nuts because all those lenses are lying idle and you don't really know how to get the best from them."

02-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LBA techniques

Well I vowed not to buy another lens until I purchase the 31 mm ltd., but then I broke the vow and bought a special new discounted $289 (free freight) Sigma 30 mm 1.4 from B&H to use until I can afford the 31 ltd. So, I really will not buy any other lens until I buy the 31 ltd. The only possible exception is that I am missing a zoom range between my Tamron 17-50 mm and my Tamron 70-300 macro lens. If I run across something that covers the 50-70 mm range in a good quality zoom lens, I might make an exception and buy it before the 31 ltd. The only other thing beside that is the possibility of finding a Pentax A 50mm f 1.7, which I really do not need because I have an Auto Sears 50 mm 2.0,.that is tack sharp.
02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

(spoilsport)

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There is a cure for LBA...
It requires a firm admission that your photography sucks and that new lens will not solve the problem.
Stop daydreaming about what that new lens will do for your photography or trying to make justifications why you need that lens (it was cheap, I need it for that holiday, you can't have too many 50mm lenses, etc.)
Once that hard truth sinks in (if it ever will), you will start to find ways to max out the usage of your existing lenses and your photos will slowly but surely improve. You'll get familiar with the lens and know its ins and outs.
You can only use one lens at a time but having too many can dull creativity because too many choices leaves you double minded.
If not, you're just a lens collector who can't shoot for nuts because all those lenses are lying idle and you don't really know how to get the best from them.
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bah...
I'm fixed LBA wise , it's really easy, buy every lens on an upward trajectory in user ratings and in the end you'll just can't afford to get better lenses on a whim.
So at the moment I have DA15, FA43, FA77, A50 f/1.2 with a massive gap between 15 and 43 which should be fixed by a 30 and a 20 something. But now i'm at the stage with lenses where probably the only thing that will actually fit in there is either a FA*24 f/2 and a FA31 Limited. Thats an easy €1,500. Now you could come back to me and say DA35 f/2.4 and I'd laugh at you or K24 f/2.8 and again I'd laugh at you. Reason being is that to get where I am now, I've gone through these little beauties and i'm now demanding absolute build quality and tactile delight + amazing optics.
Auto Takumar 135 f/3.5
Super Takumar 28 f/3.5, 35 f/3.5, 50 f/1.4, 55 f/1.8, 85 f/1.9, 85 f/1.8
K Series 24 f/2.8, 28 f/3.5, 30 f/2.0, 35 f/3.5, 50 f/1.4, 55 f/1.8, 135 f/2.5
M Series 50 f/1.4, 50 f/4.0 Macro
A Series 50 f/1.7
FA Series 50 f/1.4, 28-70 f/2.8
DA 16-45 f/4.0
Oh and a couple of random Helios, Vivitar 28s and Chinons and I've probably forgotten some as well.
So LBA? easily fixed , at least with Pentax lens anyway - I need 31 and DFA100, FA*200 + Macro and maybe the FA*300 f/2.8 and thats the best part of €10K to €15K and that my friends is an LBA staller right there.

ps Creampuff... All my lens (as in all 4) come out in my bag and all get used regularly.

02-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
So i started in Pentax about 4 years ago with a K10D+Kit Lens and an old M42 50m f1.4 lens when I was a poor student. My buddy got me a Fish Eye one year (which I love), and thats what I had for a couple of years.

After I bought my K-5 about a year and a half ago (which I planned for for a while), I immediately bought a Da40mm LTD due to size/quality/reviews etc (not planned). I got a small windfall from work (ie a couple hundred dollars), and bought a DA* 55mm a year ago (which I also planned for, as I felt I paid my dues with the old SMC 50mm ), I decided I needed just ONE MORE lens to complete what I wanted, and bought the 18-250 (which isn't terribly expensive comparably). Since then I bought a Sigma 28mm f1.8 to shoot indoors without flash (not planned), then promptly got a FA31mm LTD as I fell in love with the focal length (not planned).

Now I'm thinking I NEED a 15mm LTD, to pair with the K-01 I've just been gifted for Christmas and shoot the city/wide scenes I've been thinking of.... or do I simply WANT a 15mm LTD?

Is there any diagnosis for LBA?! I'm guessing this is the wrong place to ask isn't it?
One of the symptoms of LBA: When you find out that a lens has been delivered to your house, and you have to keep yourself from leaving work early to go unbox it.

Or: You pore over Adorama, B&H and KEH used lens listings obsessively, hoping something new pops up. Here is an old thread of mine that demonstrates how that can actually, at times, pay off.

02-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One of the symptoms of LBA: When you find out that a lens has been delivered to your house, and you have to keep yourself from leaving work early to go unbox it.
Oh I solved that one! I just have mine delivered at work.
02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
I think part of it might be boredom. I go here and check the marketplace all the time. I don't plan on buying anything (unless it's sub-$100) but it's just fun to look around.
And when you find something that really "strikes your fancy" then LBA really sets in and you go on a long research and contemplation spree.

Like how I got my 15mm Ltd -- I was initially looking to replace my kit lens with a 16-45 or 17-70. After a lot of looking around, I randomly found the "15mm controls my mind" thread. After that I was sold (I'm sure many others were, too )
No regrets getting the 15mm over a better zoom lens to replace the kit?

02-10-2013, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keeping track of LBA

My set of lenses is relatively small, but I was losing track of my LBA transgressions. Here is a simple chart I drew in MS Powerpoint to show focal lengths, apertures, mounts, etc. I refer to it when deciding what lenses to take with me, and also to help focus future acquisitions.

- Craig
Attached Images

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-10-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Typo.
02-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #54

'tis true that you can only use one lens at a time, but I find it does change the creativity if I take a different lens when I walk the dog on roughly the same route each day.

my LBA started off innocently enough when I bought the 55 1.8 at a local shop with a good selection of used glass. From there it was a short leap to the other M series lenses.

Bought the DA40 for a trip to Vegas, now all of sudden I "need" the DA21 and yet to be bought DA70.
Haven't doubled up on focal length or colour yet, but there is this other 28mm at the shop that would be just that extra bit sharper....

Lucky for me, this is a hobby for my own enjoyment and I don't have to try and justify the return on investment.
02-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #55
Veteran Member

5 50 mm lenses + 4 zooms covering that range... plus 3 additional 55... must be hard to choose a lens when you need domething in the 50 mm range
02-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
5 50 mm lenses + 4 zooms covering that range... plus 3 additional 55... must be hard to choose a lens when you need domething in the 50 mm range
My LBA started with the M 50/1.7 at a bargain price ($15 - who could resist?). Then, I needed just one more lens... and another. I think I'm well covered at 50-55mm! Several of those came in a lot or attached to cameras that I have reconditioned.

Actually, it's not too difficult to choose from the 50's and 55's. Many of the MF lenses have a unique character - aperture, sharpness, bokeh, MFD, or 'fun factor,' etc. I find that I reach for one or two of the set most often.
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I proudly announce that my LBA will be over when I get the DA 21 ( )

I have several kits for different occasions :

- Regular walk-around kit : K-30 + DA 15 + DA 35/2.4 + DA 70 (or 18-55 WR + 50-200 WR for when it's raining)
- Lightweight but high IQ walk-around kit : K-01 + DA 40 XS
- Very lightweight kit : Q + 01 + 03

But when I take the K-01 I find myself sometimes needing something wider for street photography and the DA 15 is a bit too wide for this, so I think the DA 21 would be the perfect add-on to the DA 40, thanks to its very small size.

Also I just bought the FA 43, I didn't really need it, but I was searching for a fast AF prime for shallower DOF. I first headed towards the FA 50 1.4 but I already have the A 50 1.7 and I don't like the 50mm much on APS-C, so I went for the FA 43.
I'm telling myself it's a kind of investment since the price may go up when Pentax releases a FF

The very last lens I will keep wanting will be the FA 31, but I just can't afford it for now.
02-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

(spoilsport)
Actually I don't see an issue with buying lenses per se. In fact I have no hesitation to plonk serious money if a gem like a Voigtlander 125mm Apo-Lanthar shows up. The LBA issue is a complex one. Some people need retail therapy or just need to spend money buying something because it temporarily fills a void in their lives at the expense of utility. People in this predicament don't need another lens, they need therapy... And it gets worse when one becomes overly sentimental over our gear and can't bear to get rid of the old or junk lenses that have been replaced with newer gear. Accumulating lenses is easy enough and it is slippery road to wasting money that might be used for other purposes. LBA can lead to one becoming a collector or hoarder of Pentax gear, not a user of Pentax gear. It takes discipline to overcome LBA but it can be done. I have no qualms to dispose or sell any of my Pentax lenses and have junked all the mediocre and cannot make it legacy lenses as well as sold my FA and DA Limiteds before. For me there is no place for sentimentality in photographic gear... if they don't get used enough, they get sold.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.
02-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
No regrets getting the 15mm over a better zoom lens to replace the kit?
None at all. The 15mm has absolutely amazing flare resistance and color reproduction. Incredibly sharp as well. I kind of want to get rid of the 18-55. It's relatively sharp but the images just come out kind of boring. Color and contrast is very plain. So I always find myself reaching for either my 15mm or M50/1.7, sometimes the 55-300 when I want the tele range. But I never reach for the 18-55, even though I want the range in the middle. Some time soon I'll have to choose between the 16-45 or a 28/35 prime. The FA 31 would be great but I definitely can't afford it.

One of these days... I'll have my perfect lens kit:
DA 15/4
DA 12-24/4
FA 31/1.8
DA 40/2.8
DA* 55/1.4
DA* 50-135/2.8
FA 77/1.8
D FA 100/2.8 Macro
DA* 200/2.8

And the LBA is settling in already
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
None at all. The 15mm has absolutely amazing flare resistance and color reproduction. Incredibly sharp as well. I kind of want to get rid of the 18-55. It's relatively sharp but the images just come out kind of boring. Color and contrast is very plain. So I always find myself reaching for either my 15mm or M50/1.7, sometimes the 55-300 when I want the tele range. But I never reach for the 18-55, even though I want the range in the middle. Some time soon I'll have to choose between the 16-45 or a 28/35 prime. The FA 31 would be great but I definitely can't afford it.

One of these days... I'll have my perfect lens kit:
DA 15/4
DA 12-24/4
FA 31/1.8
DA 40/2.8
DA* 55/1.4
DA* 50-135/2.8
FA 77/1.8
D FA 100/2.8 Macro
DA* 200/2.8

And the LBA is settling in already
I just wondered if you had replaced your kit lens yet. I'm looking at a Sigma 17-50 or Sigma 24-70 to replace the kit lens, but that 15mm looks awfully tempting. I can't buy both right now. It's one or the other.