Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just wondered if you had replaced your kit lens yet. I'm looking at a Sigma 17-50 or Sigma 24-70 to replace the kit lens, but that 15mm looks awfully tempting. I can't buy both right now. It's one or the other.
I would probably go with the 17-50. It got a better review here than the DA* 16-50, and you maintain the wide-angle range over the 24-70.

02-10-2013, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Collectiong is a hobby, not an obsession.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
For me there is no place for sentimentality in photographic gear... if they don't get used enough, they get sold.
The operative clause in your entire reply is, "for me."

Many people collect many different things because collecting things has a hobby aspect to it. My wife, for instance, collects Ehrmann needlepoint kits - she makes needlepoint items with new kits, but the old ones are collectible. My father-in-law collects painted lead soldiers. He has 30,000 of them. From time to time he gets together with his friends and plays out historical battles on sand tables with his battalions and divisions, but not with the really good ones. I buy, use for a while and then sell Pentax cameras and lenses. So what if the time I spend buying and selling far exceeds the time I spend using? It is my hobby.

When collecting is a hobby, the studying, comparing, deciding, allocating of scarce hobby money, inventorying, cleaning, exhibiting and (only sometimes) using (only some of) one's collection are aspects of the hobby.

For some of us collecting Pentax lenses is a hobby. For those of us, our personal approach to collecting - which ones we want, what we do with our collections, how much money we invest in our hobby - those are our hobby decisions. They may overlap our photographing hobby. We may not even have a photographing hobby, yet we still come here and read about and post about Pentax. For some of us coming here is the hobby.

We gear buyers from time to time make light of ourselves and our (relatively minor) collecting excesses because we know they are excesses, and we know they are outside what other people classify as a "norm." But our excesses are for the most part harmless. Very, very few of us are so compulsive as to cause ourselves financial distress or ruin - fewer of us perhaps than waste thousands of dollars and countless hours on professional sports season tickets (but those people are considered normal in our society).

I just had a neat offer in the marketplace - the Seller offered to trade any Site Supporter an old Ansel Adams book of little value for whatever Pentax item the Buyer felt would make a good trade. The key to the trade was - I can't tell the Seller what I'm trading. He has to be surprised. I cannot express in words how much fun it was to go through my boot boxes full of old Pentax stuff and consider whether this would be suitable, or would he appreciate that thing. I won't say what I put in the mailing box, but it is useful and It isn't something anyone sees every day. My points are: 1) I have it; 2) It is neat; 3) I wasn't afraid to GIVE IT AWAY!

I've known plenty of people who have or once had "too many 50's." I've never known anyone whose LBA was actually pathological.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #63
Forum Member

I feel better ;-)
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmm. I think there are many manifestations of this syndrome. There are the collectors, the dedicated hobbyists (a shutter count of over 100,000 probably defines the extreme!), the seekers after perfection and the obsessives.

Not sure where I fall in all this, but I stopped when I realised the lenses I was starting to contemplate were all over $1,000 and steeply up from there. A count of the market value of the current collection was a little sobering, but I'm sure it's only temporary, as I've started looking at M9 and 645D ads...

02-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My LBA is triggered by situations I find myself in, and wishing I had a certain speed/focal length or some aspect of a lens I don't own - but would LOVE to have at that exact moment.

I can usually fight LBA if the situation doesn't happen very often, and the flare-up can subside.

This weekend I had a flare-up for an 85mm f/1.4 - of the Sigma variety since I can't find a Pentax one that is reasonable. I needed a lens that was good in low light and had slightly more reach than my 77 Limited. The 85mm f/1.4 is a hole that I have, and it's going to need something soon to fix it.

The only other time LBA flares up is when I want to try a different genre - like Tilt/shift or soft focus or ??????????????????

Right now I am waiting on the Samyang 24mm TS lens.

Ugh. That's enough LBA talk. (for now).
02-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #66
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
When you find out that a lens has been delivered to your house, and you have to keep yourself from leaving work early to go unbox it.
I've never been quite that bad, but hell I know where your coming from.
02-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My LBA is triggered by situations I find myself in, and wishing I had a certain speed/focal length or some aspect of a lens I don't own - but would LOVE to have at ...
Same here. I was hanging from a hillside where zooming with my trusty feet was not an option when I realized the DA15 was too wide and the FA31 was too long for what I wanted...now I keep the DA21 at the ready and it gets plenty of use.
02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One of the symptoms of LBA: When you find out that a lens has been delivered to your house, and you have to keep yourself from leaving work early to go unbox it.
My workplace is in front of the house...
next to the letterbox...
I do this ' wait until lunch' routine

02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Last year was my worst LBA ever. It started with me watching a wedding photography workshop and determining that I "needed" a true marco lens. I was between the 35 and the 100 and I saw a good deal in the marketplace on the 35, so I went for it...15 minutes later (literally), someone posts the 100 and I buy it too. Now one might think that 2 lenses in one night is a real low point, but I didn't stop there. A week with the 100 and I knew I needed another prime, so I bought the 77. These are all needs because I make money off of photography, right? Well, one you have on of the FA limiteds you need to complete the set, so a month later came the 43 and about a month after that was the 31. Two months, 5 lenses.

I was trying to tell myself that I would not buy any more DA lenses, just in case FF happens, but that 15 is looking really good. So does a K5IIs (why not catch some cba?).

Now I just need to figure out how to see what I don't need/use.
02-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I definitely don't suffer from no LBA!
02-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I definitely don't suffer from no LBA!
What you mean you just enjoy it to the full ?
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
No regrets getting the 15mm over a better zoom lens to replace the kit?
Nope; I have the DA 12-24 f4 and the 15 limited + 21 limited; I don't use the zoom anymore, apart in the rare case I need 12 mm.
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #73
Veteran Member

My personal lens kit goes from 12 to 600 :
DA12-24
DA 15 limited
DA 21 limited
FA31 limited
FA43 limited
A 50f1.2
DA70 limited
FA* 85 1.4
DA*200f2.8
DA*300f4
FA*600f4 (+ 1,4 XL converter)
Lot of money in lenses... my LBA will make me spend some additional money to have a DA*WR replacement of the 16-50 (expected for 2013...)