Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is the main symptom of LBA that "I just need one more lens"?

So i started in Pentax about 4 years ago with a K10D+Kit Lens and an old M42 50m f1.4 lens when I was a poor student. My buddy got me a Fish Eye one year (which I love), and thats what I had for a couple of years.

After I bought my K-5 about a year and a half ago (which I planned for for a while), I immediately bought a Da40mm LTD due to size/quality/reviews etc (not planned). I got a small windfall from work (ie a couple hundred dollars), and bought a DA* 55mm a year ago (which I also planned for, as I felt I paid my dues with the old SMC 50mm ), I decided I needed just ONE MORE lens to complete what I wanted, and bought the 18-250 (which isn't terribly expensive comparably). Since then I bought a Sigma 28mm f1.8 to shoot indoors without flash (not planned), then promptly got a FA31mm LTD as I fell in love with the focal length (not planned).

Now I'm thinking I NEED a 15mm LTD, to pair with the K-01 I've just been gifted for Christmas and shoot the city/wide scenes I've been thinking of.... or do I simply WANT a 15mm LTD?

Is there any diagnosis for LBA?! I'm guessing this is the wrong place to ask isn't it?

01-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup, seems like it's chronic.

I tried convincing myself that I didn't need a DA 15 ltd either. But once I caved and bought it, it proved to me that I actually did need it. It produces fantastic pictures.
01-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

You got it, and there is no cure for LBA. Every time you get a new lens, you just temporarily relieve the symptoms.
You definitely need a 15 LTD for your K-01.
Now, if I can find a good deal on FA77........here we go again!
01-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #4

Hi, my name is John and I had LBA.
18-55 Stock lens on a used Kx (Nov.2011)
FA 80-320/4.5-5, (Feb.'12) $90
DA35/2.4 (Mar.'12) $210
Pentax-A 50mm/2 (Apr.'12) $35
Pentax-A 50/1.4 (Aug.'12) $155
FA 50/1.4 (Oct.'12) $195
Tamron 17-50/2.8 (Dec.'12) $225
Switched to new k30 (Dec. '13) $499 body only
Pentax FA 100mm/2.8 macro (Jan.'13) $343
Pentax DA*50-135/2.8 (Jan.'13) $770
It all happened so fast.

Last edited by Iksobarg; 01-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.
01-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #5

Ebay and marketplaces are the worst for LBA. In the last year, I've picked up:

DA WR 18-55
DA 55-300
FA 50 1.4
(These three came with the K-7 kit I bought on ebay)

SMC 50mm f/2
Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 (this broke )
Vivitar KA-28-210mm f/2.8
Sigma 400mm f/5.6
(These came with a dual ME Super / Super Program kit I got on ebay)

Vivitar M-70-210mm f/4
Vivitar M mount 135mm f/2.8
Pentax Macro-Takumar M-mount 50mm/F4
DA Limited 40mm/f2.8
DA Limited 21mm/f2.8
These guys I bought singly, like a sucker
LBA is tough, and it's not even 'need one more lens'.... for me it's "I wonder how shooting with that one would feel like...."

I actually have a konica mount 80-200 waiting to get the gear I need to shorten the flange and alter the mount too... I feel your pain!
01-05-2013, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #6

I guess there are three types of LBA:

The first grade of LBA where there is a hole in your lens line-up and you "need" to fill it up (even though you may survive with other lenses with just using them differently). This is based on real need. The least severe grade.

The second grade of LBA where you already "have everything you need" but just want to try other lenses just to know how they behave. Or to fill the tiniest holes in your lens lineup. Not really based on need but for feeling. The medium severe grade.

The third grade of LBA where you want to own the lens just for owning it. Not because you need it or use it, just because you want to own it. This is based on obsession. The most severe grade (which will bankrupt you eventually).

I guess I'm at second grade at the moment. This can also be combined to CBA (camera buying addiction), CBBA (camera bag byuing addiction) or just ABA (accessory buying addiction). Or FLA (forum lurking addiction). These all combined can take all your time and money without you taking any pictures at all. That's ultimately the worst case. I have thought many times going back to first grade but I just can't And I hope I never end up to third grade. That I cannot afford. But when I look at it, last year I got

K-5
DA* 16-50/2.8
Sigma 50-150/2.8
Sigma 10mm/2.8 fisheye
Sigma 28/1.8
DA 35/2.4
Samsung NX10+20mm+30mm
Manfrotto tripod with ball head and panorama head

If I remember correctly, I wrote about year ago in some thread that I will be buying fast sport zoom and long tele and nothing else. Maybe K-5. That really didn't work out. So I'm not promising anything anymore
01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I pretty much had my LBA under control, until I recently bought a K-01.
It came with the 40mm XS.

I was pretty satisfied with my lens collection for the K-5.
But within the past 2 months I've acquired a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, a Promaster (Tamron) 28-105mm, and a Pentax M 135mm f/3.5.
All I need now is an ultra-wide, and maybe a fast long for my Q when it arrives, a good macro would be nice too, and possibly a................

01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do what I do and scavenge thrift stores and/or hunt Internet bargains, ie like B&M camera store sites, etc. ... legacy K fit glass and M42s... an "el cheapo" way to satisfy chronic LBA ... and you may even find a gem or two in the all that junk ... I have, J
01-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

^^^ What Jean said. Yard sales and pawn shops can sometimes yield interesting, and cheap (!) treasures. I once found an old Pentax film camera at a pawn shop- the lens attached was a Pentax F50/1.7. Got the whole thing for less than half the value of the lens alone. I used that 50 for quite a while. A garage sale produced an entire camera bag of stuff, the best of which was a mint Pentax M50/1.7. Free! Played with that stuff for a while, enough to satisfy my need for tinkering anyway. And don't forget Craigslist! Sometimes those are a "wild goose chase", but it's worth checking. Another camera bag of old (but pristine) film stuff, another nice Pentax A50/1.7! That one even had all the owners manuals, including a Pentax booklet of their total lens line-up, circa 1983, that I will not part with ever! (A*300 f2.8 ED IF, oh man! )

Back to your dilemma: You're only at "Level One" right now, I'd say! You started right by already getting the DA*55, and 31 Ltd; add the 15 Ltd to that line-up and you can cover a LOT of situations, a small but powerful kit indeed. I find your particular case of LBA to be minimal at best. Yes, you NEED the 15 Ltd!
01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
I guess there are three types of LBA:

The first grade of LBA where there is a hole in your lens line-up and you "need" to fill it up (even though you may survive with other lenses with just using them differently). This is based on real need. The least severe grade.

The second grade of LBA where you already "have everything you need" but just want to try other lenses just to know how they behave. Or to fill the tiniest holes in your lens lineup. Not really based on need but for feeling. The medium severe grade.

The third grade of LBA where you want to own the lens just for owning it. Not because you need it or use it, just because you want to own it. This is based on obsession. The most severe grade (which will bankrupt you eventually).

There is a fourth, even more lethal, stage, in which you can find yourself browsing reviews of lenses in other systems - comparing Olympus and Panasonic M4/3 pancakes for example - which could make bankruptcy even more imminent. Think of all the camera bodies that little daydream could lead to ...
01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I keep asking myself, "what if I get in this random, unlikely situation, and need a really specific lens for the purpose?". Make do with what I have? No way! Get the lens and the shot.
01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You guy's have it so easy. In the old days, Modern/Popular/Peterson's Photography was how you got LBA. I had everything I needed and felt I wasn't buying another Pentax until they made something to the level of the LX. They didn't, so I was left behind.

Flash forward to my acquisition of my first K-5 and the continued reading of the PF and lo & behold, I purchase the main FA's, the two main DA's, had to have an "A" 1.2, the Tamron 70-200 2.8, two Metz 58's and now I'm going to buy a Really Right Stuff ballhead.

Oh yeah, the FA's had to be all MIJ with the '43 being an old run at number 0914. Had to put everythng in a backpack, so I got a Think Tank Streetwalker HD.
Over $7k in less than a year and still not done.

Last edited by tabl10s; 01-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
01-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #13

My LBA has subsided for now, only because I inherited another LBA-stricken photographer's collection recently.

The guy who taught me all about photography passed away about 3 years ago and his family are now finally able to go through his things and asked me "you still use your Pentax camera? Here, have this box of photography stuff. Scott would have wanted that."

2 bodies, 4 zooms, 3 flashes, filters galore and 2 primes I don't have later and I'm a happy boy. Overjoyed, really, because the equipment means so much .

Getting this reignited my love of photography. Or at least fanned the flames into yet a bigger bonfire!
01-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
Forum Member

Finally a thread for me ;-)
-------------------------------------------------
My name is Peter. I got LBA, CBA and NCLLAI-R (Nikon Complete Lens Line Amnesia Issue - Reversible).

Started November 2012 - went to our Warsaw-Foto-Market that takes place every Sunday at 10:00 AM in the "STODOŁA" (BARN) student's club.

My plan was to buy a not-to-expensive-analog-camera-set for my son as a Christmas gift. He asked for it once - as it looks cool.....

I met my old friend who introduced me to his friends that were into the subject...... and i got:

- MX 80$ (very good condition - much better that K1000 i intended to buy),
- SMC-M 50 mm f/1,7 40$ (very good condition - we need a fast prime - that is obvious),
- Osawa MC 135 mm f/2,8 33$ (unused copy so cheap for such a nice glass - my son uses tele-lenses most often).

Not sure if you are ready to browse through all complicated reasons that led me to adding:
- K-2 85$,
- Hanimex 80-200mm f/4 21$
- SMC-M 50mm f/1,7,
- K1000 with SMC-M 50mm f/2 50$ for a set,
- SMC-M 24-35mm f/3,5 110$ - but the wides I LOVE,
- SMC-M 80-200mm f/4,5 17$ needed service (add some $),
- SMC-M 135mm f/3,5 - exchanged it with my foto-analog friend for a Swiss M53 Dagger from my knives collection in nice condition - total cost 30$.... FOR THIS LENS IN ALMOST PERFECT SHAPE???
- ME - very cheap, but received it in bad condition - is to be sent back..... but the shutter sound is greaTTT!!!!
- so got another Me with SMC-M 50mm f/2, only 50$
- and 150$ for a "stack of primes" SMC-A 35-105mm f/3,5 in Very good condition - truly - who could resist???
- so was the SMC-M 70-150 f/4 that I got for 40$ as a "I'm sorry" deal from a man I got a 80-200 in bad condition....

I'm afraid I started betting on another MX, as mine is in service and I can't live without one by my side....

Should I take some medicines???? Naaaaah....

Guess I should start using all this glass to find out what suits me best - and pass on all remainings.

That's all folks!!

..... got to check the e-bay...... think I saw a nice K-mount prime for a decent price ;-)

P_1
01-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #15

QuoteQuote:
SMC-M 24-35mm f/3,5
I want I want I want! See...didn't take me long! Actually holding out for a wider angle, but hey, I don't have one of those...

With that list, Peter -- are you still (or perhaps more accurately were you) married?