Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #16

Thanks Heather, I'll check this out.

Shawn

02-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #17

I just read a review claiming some users find this lens to have a "plastic" feel. Does it?
What about comparing it to the feel of the 18-55mm kit lens.
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I should not have looked at this thread. I ordered one for my birthday and it should be here in the next few days from B&H. Unfortunately, I won't get to take possession of it until my birthday arrives so I will have to be PATIENT! I really don't want to have to go through all the firmware and debug - not my forte.

I have been looking forward to this lens for some time now based on all the good reviews here.
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
Syb
Veteran Member

How can a thread like this, about the quality of a lens, go on and on without one single shot to illustrate ones point?

I don't care about the plastic feel -no offense to anybody- if I can see the lens produces razor sharp images.

Aren't there any?

Or do we have a privacy rights (protecting the privacy of the people you portrayed) issue going on here?

Syb

02-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
How can a thread like this, about the quality of a lens, go on and on without one single shot to illustrate ones point?
I don't care about the plastic feel -no offense to anybody- if I can see the lens produces razor sharp images.
Aren't there any?
Seriously? BTW, isn't the generally accepted/expected procedure to post one of these?

The answer may be that so many on this board already have it and have posted so many images from it, stating so when they did, they do not think it is necessary to repeat. Why the OP didn't I can't tell you tho.

You may look @ the full-rez originals under here to your hearts content:
Testing - Pentax K10D - Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 album | m8o | Fotki.com
Notice the IMGP numbers. Yep, that's starting @ shot #11. After realizing "Green Mode" is kinda worthless for the 1st 10 shots, I started getting great results with this lens right off the bat, never having handled an SLR or DSLR before but aware of the concepts to using one.

The only shot with flash there is IMGP0060. Shot 89 & 91 are soft as they're 1/3 sec and 1 sec exposure handheld respectively (yep, 1 sec ; too bad the doggie moved) into a very dark location made light by the exposure length.

And Fotki screws up the EXIF it presents for that lens... everything is 10x the actual focal length.

Then, my next weekend with it:
Father's Day 2007 album | m8o | Fotki.com

Last edited by m8o; 02-19-2008 at 01:10 PM.
02-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Another congrats here too.
I've just done the same - seems no-one wanted to part with this lens when I put my WTB post up, so I went ahead and asked B&H to ship me one. Will also probably make it my stay-on lens, bought specifically for weddings, events, indoors etc.

I thought about the other options a lot too, but with all the good raves about the Tammy, the extra 5mm at the long end, and the reasonable price, I had to go for it! Plus I've already got the DA 16-45 to take care of the more wide angle shots I may need.

That would be my suggestion as a combo, but if you want the wide to portrait range in a single lens, it may have to be the Sigma 17-70, which many have raved about also.
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I have the Sigma 24 - 70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF AutoFocus which is a nice lens and I'm very happy with it's performance, but I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the Sigma and the Tamron. After reading all of the great reviews on the Tamron I'm really tempted to trade in my Sigma for it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Shawn
I just bought this beast three weeks ago while having an LBA attack, and I can tell you I don't like it...Image quality is close to the Tamron, but no cigar...Not to mention it is a heavy beast....
And whats up with the backwards zoom function on this sigma? That annoys me to no end....
p.s. shOW us the pics..
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

*snip*

I myself am looking at either getting the Tamron 17-50 (when it comes out) or a combination of the DA21 + Tamron 28-70. I'm a little torn at the moment as to which one I want to get, as there are definite pluses and minuses to each choice. Later on this week, I'm going to have a couple of days where I'm going to get to spend more time with the camera and kit lens and be able to better evaluate which focal lengths I'm using. If they tend to go more towards the wide end, then that 17-50 would be the obvious choice, but if they're more towards the long end, then the 21 + 28-75 combination would work better.

HTH,
Heather
Heather, have you ever heard of ExposurePlot? It's a great little freeware program that will analyze your photos (jpeg only) as to focal length, aperture, shutter speed or ISO. That's where I found out I like to shoot wider than I thought I did. Even plots them out on a graph for you. Great little tool to have. And it's FREE!!!! The only downside is that it works on jpegs only
ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)

NaCl(might save you a lot of work)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 02-19-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling :(
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I thought about the other options a lot too, but with all the good raves about the Tammy, the extra 5mm at the long end, and the reasonable price, I had to go for it! Plus I've already got the DA 16-45 to take care of the more wide angle shots I may need.

That would be my suggestion as a combo, but if you want the wide to portrait range in a single lens, it may have to be the Sigma 17-70, which many have raved about also.
Actually, I had thought about the 16-45/28-75 combination, as well, but there's a lot of overlap between the lenses. I had also thought about getting the Sigma 17-35/Tamron 28-75 combination, but then I took a look at the reviews for the 17-35 and they seem mixed, so I don't know about that one. I like the range of the Sigma 17-70, but again, the reviews seem to be mixed--some people love it and some people hate it. I know that Pentax is supposed to be coming out with their version of the 17-70 this summer, so I've even thought about waiting until then and seeing if it rates any better than the Sigma version.

The Tamron 17-50 looks so tempting, though and for some of the pics I've seen taken with the C&N bodies, this one is definitely a contender. I know there would be a 20mm gap between it and my 70-210, but I don't know if it would be that big of a deal, as long as I can use my feet to make up the difference. Whenever I do pick up another film body, I may very well pick up a 24mm prime to use with it, along with my 43 and 70-210. This same kit could also work with the K10 if I want to travel extra light.

I would say that at least for today, I'm leaning towards the 17-50, as I think it'll be the best bang for my buck. In the other mounts, Beach Camera has them for $409 brand new, vs. somewhere in the neighborhood of $775 for both the 21 and 28-70 brand new and around $650 for both used. Of course, if I could get over my doubts about the 17-35 and get it and the 28-75 brand new, that would be about $520 for 17-75 coverage or about $470 (or a little less) if I pick up the 28-75 used.

If anybody has any other ideas, I'm still open to them.

Heather
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Heather, have you ever heard of ExposurePlot? It's a great little freeware program that will analyze your photos (jpeg only) as to aperture, shutter speed or ISO. That's where I found out I like to shoot wider than I thought I did. Even plots them out on a graph for you. Great little tool to have. And it's FREE!!!! The only downside is that it works on jpegs only
ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)

NaCl(might save you a lot of work)H2O
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I've downloaded it to my pc and I'm going to use it to evaluate my usage of the 18-55 lens after my 2 days with it later on this week to help me make a decision on what to do.

Heather
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I went to pbase and took a look at some samples from the 17-70 and I'm reconsidering it.
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
It looks pretty sharp to me and I like the fact that it has macro capabilities. I'll still eventually get a dedicated macro lens, but to not have to tote 1 extra lens just for macro when I'm traveling will be a plus. New, I can get it for just under $400, including shipping from B&H, although some Fleabay camera stores have it for a good bit less and have feedback ratings that I'm comfortable with. I've also noticed that used ones around here are priced around $300, which I'll have by the middle of next week.

Maybe someone will eventually come out with a 17-70/2.8, although I'm curious to see how well the Pentax 17-70/4 will do with it's constant aperture against the Sigma version.

At any rate, it sounds like the Sigma 17-70 could be a good compromise in the way of features and price.

I wish I weren't quite so anal about all of this...

Heather
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Here's a couple pics I dug up real quick

02-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here are some photos with the Tammy.
Even the Canikonites love this lens

02-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
HOWTO - Adjusting BF/FF focus... after you have v1.30 firmware

Go here, follow the instructions.

Vietzon.com Forums

I've just left mine at (the Pentax version of) v1.10, seeing as how I don't have any SDM lenses.

If you can't figure it out, you really shouldn't be playing around with the debug menu in the first place.
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #30

Javier,

The weight is the biggest reason I'm looking to trade this beast in. It's just to heavy to make it a walking around lens, and takes up a lot of room in my bag. I'm probably going to send a care package to Adorama and trade it in along with a bunch of older AF lenses to get the Tamron.

I'll post some pics later.

Shawn