Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
Javier,

The weight is the biggest reason I'm looking to trade this beast in. It's just to heavy to make it a walking around lens, and takes up a lot of room in my bag. I'm probably going to send a care package to Adorama and trade it in along with a bunch of older AF lenses to get the Tamron.

I'll post some pics later.

Shawn
Good move...It is a beast and as a walk around lens, unrealistic..The only thing I do like about the sigma, is that 24mm range..You would not think it would matter much, but I have discovered that even 1mm is huge...

02-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The only thing I do like about the sigma, is that 24mm range..You would not think it would matter much, but I have discovered that even 1mm is huge...
If you find that you need wider, but don't want to weigh your bag down, you can always pick up a wide prime like the DA 21 or an older manual focus 24mm. There is definitely more than one way to skin a fish.

Heather
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If you find that you need wider, but don't want to weigh your bag down, you can always pick up a wide prime like the DA 21 or an older manual focus 24mm. There is definitely more than one way to skin a fish.

Heather
Hi Heather. Thanks for the advice.
I actually have a few choices at my disposal. I have a DA*16-50 F/2.8, The Tamron 18-250, and the Kit 18-55 lens which I think is pretty good. I am not much of a prime person. Frankly, under the conditions that I shoot in, a prime is not the way for me.
02-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I know what you mean, but I do like both. As much as I like the 28-75, I'm leaning towards the Sigma 17-70 at this point. If I were to pick up the 28-75, I could still use my kit lens to cover the 18-27 gap, assuming that I'm happy with it's performance at that range. I should have a better idea of what I want to get after this weekend when I can spend more time with both body and lenses.

Heather

02-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I know what you mean, but I do like both. As much as I like the 28-75, I'm leaning towards the Sigma 17-70 at this point. If I were to pick up the 28-75, I could still use my kit lens to cover the 18-27 gap, assuming that I'm happy with it's performance at that range. I should have a better idea of what I want to get after this weekend when I can spend more time with both body and lenses.

Heather
I should have purchased that sigma 17-70 instead of that brick I got...sigh..I have already spent my play money for the week, so it will need to wait until next..
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I should have purchased that sigma 17-70 instead of that brick I got...sigh..I have already spent my play money for the week, so it will need to wait until next..

Yeah, especially when you can get them for around $300 gently used.

Heather
02-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #37

Just got mine today from egordon, and while it is a fine lens I immediately put it back up for sale. I guess I've become too accustomed to the small ltd primes as I just wasn't expecting how huge the lens would be. I love my 43 ltd so much that I'm pretty much never taking it off, and after forcing myself to take about 50 shots with the tammy 28-75 tonight, I can safely say that I actually preferred having just my 43 on the camera. So, I put mine back up on the forum for sale tonight.
02-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
Igilligan

congrats on the quick sale...

QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
Just got mine today from egordon, and while it is a fine lens I immediately put it back up for sale. I guess I've become too accustomed to the small ltd primes as I just wasn't expecting how huge the lens would be. I love my 43 ltd so much that I'm pretty much never taking it off, and after forcing myself to take about 50 shots with the tammy 28-75 tonight, I can safely say that I actually preferred having just my 43 on the camera. So, I put mine back up on the forum for sale tonight.
I have been using the Vivitar Series 1 105 on my camera for two weeks straight, so I hope the Tamron will seem like a lightweight lens when it shows up tomorrow. But I can see how if you love the 43 and its size and weight it would seem like a monster.
That may be the quickest turn around on a lens I have seen... it was a great deal though.

02-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
Wow, You think the tammy is huge?
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #40

Well, not huge compared to say a canon 24-70 I realize, but huge compared to the limiteds that I had gotten used to without realizing how used to them I'd gotten. Make sense?
02-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Hey, different strokes for different folks...I understand completely. after all, your the one behind the lens..If your not comfortable, how can you compose?
02-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #42
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that was quick txbonds.
I'd been looking for the Tammy for some time on the forum.
Missed out again here...
So had to spend an extra $100 to get one from B&H!
Must be one lens not to let go of...
02-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #43

Yeah, it didn't take me long to decide that while the picture quality was nice, I really just didn't want the lens bulk and for some reason I'm just having a love affair with my 43 limited I guess. I just get the nicest, well rendered and colored and sharp shots of my son using that lens, and the size factor is the biggest bonus.

Now I guess I've just got to start forcing myself to use it for something other than a million shots of my 2 year old because it really is such a nice lens.

Glad I at least tried the Tammy so now I don't have to keep on wondering. I think what this leaves me with is to use the 43 for a while.

I spent a year with nothing but the kit lens and the 70. Ordered a 40, and instantly sold it and ordered a 43. Very smart move for me as I very much prefer the 43.

The 43 started the itch for the 77 and 31, which I found and bought. The 31 wasn't wide enough and I just found the 77 a little too long. Go figure.

After all the rambling, I have the thought to go a year with just the kit lens and 43 to see what happens, but at the same time I'm also thinking a 21 might be nice to try.....................
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #44

How does the 28-75 compare to the Sigma 24-70?

As promised here is an image from a wedding I did for a friend using my Sigma 24-70. This is probably my favorite photo from the entire day. Other than the weight I really like this lens and am struggling with the desire to lug less weight around vs. the fact that I really enjoy using this lens.
Attached Images

02-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
As promised here is an image from a wedding I did for a friend using my Sigma 24-70. This is probably my favorite photo from the entire day. Other than the weight I really like this lens and am struggling with the desire to lug less weight around vs. the fact that I really enjoy using this lens.
If your used to the weight and factoring in that you have an extra 4mm, keep the sigma.