Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tamron 28-75 f2.8... OMG, brilliant

Ordered a DA*16-50, which got lost in the mail... UPS were about as unhelpful as you could be if you were being payed to be horrible. So, I considered it a 'sign', and second time around, I got Adorama to send me a Tamron 28-75 f2.8.

When first used, (as in, first couple of shots) it had a front focus issue wide open at the wide end, on close focusing. After focusing on close distances, then far distances, a couple of times, that's gone for good. Now it's just OMG! The rendering and sharpness of this thing is far beyond what I could have wished for, even wide open.

Gives a real Pentax SMC-M 50 1.7 kind of rendering, which I wasn't expecting. Fantastic colours and contrast. And man, this thing slices pumpkins when you close it down to f4 and onward. Such a different experience, redering wise, to the 18-250. Dare I say, night and day.

Just thought I'd pass on another positive experience.

Cheers.

02-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the club.

I've had mine since I bought my *istD and it has pretty much lived there ever since. I've probably taken 70-75% of my pics with it.
02-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote

Gives a real Pentax SMC-M 50 1.7 kind of rendering, which I wasn't expecting. Fantastic colours and contrast. And man, this thing slices pumpkins when you close it down to f4 and onward. Such a different experience, redering wise, to the 18-250. Dare I say, night and day.

Cheers.

When you say 'rendering', do you mean resolution? I haven't heard the term rendering applied to IQ, (but maybe I haven't been listening.)

02-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
When you say 'rendering', do you mean resolution? I haven't heard the term rendering applied to IQ, (but maybe I haven't been listening.)

How the image looks straight from the camera. The contrast and colours combined... I guess?

02-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Igilligan

Ya hoo.... glad to hear it

Ordered a DA*16-50, which got lost in the mail... UPS were about as unhelpful as you could be if you were being payed to be horrible. So, I considered it a 'sign', and second time around, I got Adorama to send me a Tamron 28-75 f2.8.

When first used, (as in, first couple of shots) it had a front focus issue wide open at the wide end, on close focusing. After focusing on close distances, then far distances, a couple of times, that's gone for good. Now it's just OMG! The rendering and sharpness of this thing is far beyond what I could have wished for, even wide open.

Cheers.
I just ordered this and it shipped out today. Should be here thursday... and I hope to start my own "Man I love this lens" thread.
So the front focus thing just went away after cycling the lens thru the zoom range a few times?

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.
02-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
with a little bit of trickery, it's all good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I just ordered this and it shipped out today. Should be here thursday... and I hope to start my own "Man I love this lens" thread.
So the front focus thing just went away after cycling the lens thru the zoom range a few times?
The plot got a little thicker...

My K10D was actually back focusing (not front focusing) the lens at 28mm, at F2.8. From 30mm onwards, all was well. Mines always been a bit funny with lenses wide open, focusing close, so I got brave.

I retrograded my firmware to v1.10, adjusted the focus offset in the debug menu, then reinstalled v.1.30. Had to set it to +0.6. Now it's 100% perfect at all focusing distances, all apetures and all focal lengths. Just took some more portrait shots just then... dang! just like a real pentax lens. forget what you hear about nervous bokeh, it's as creamy as an SMC M 85mm at the same f stop. Just nothing but great surprises.

Like I said, I think my K10d had been needing the focus adjustment since the get go, but I've always worked around it before. This lens is like having three nice primes. Mind you, I'd always go for the 55mm 1.8 M42, m 50 1.7, or 85 1.8 when I need extra, extra thick bokeh that you just can't quite match in a f2.8 lens.

And it's made in Japan (not China!!). Cool!

So it's all good..
02-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The plot got a little thicker...
I retrograded my firmware to v1.10, adjusted the focus offset in the debug menu, then reinstalled v.1.30. Had to set it to +0.6.
Hey! I've got a question! Where did you learned this trick from ?! Are there any tutorials on the web?! Thanks in advance!

Small edit: Hurra and huzza! I've stumbled upon the solution!

Last edited by Camilsky; 02-19-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: New info
02-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #8

I have the Sigma 24 - 70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF AutoFocus which is a nice lens and I'm very happy with it's performance, but I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the Sigma and the Tamron. After reading all of the great reviews on the Tamron I'm really tempted to trade in my Sigma for it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Shawn

02-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camilsky Quote
Small edit: Hurra and huzza! I've stumbled upon the solution!
Could you, perhaps, post your recently stumbled upon solution?
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding that the firmware can just be writen over if you download the V1.10 to an SD card and then written to the camera. Is that correct? I also heard that the camera was esigned so you couldn't go backwards to older firmware.

the sequesnce to get into the service folder and adjust the lens is found here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/25658-post1.html

BTW, I agree. A great lens in all respects and never gets very far from the camera.
02-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I also found this but I think this is a hacked version of the firmware and don't like the idea of taking that chance:
Vietzon.com Forums

So what did you use to go backwards?
02-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #12

So anyone without back focus and front focus problems should have nothing to worry about with this lens?

Put it on and start shooting?

Mine was shipped this morning from BH. I live in the Arctic so it will take about 10 days to get here

I chose it over the sigma.
02-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Jay, If the lens and body are focusing fine then you have no issue. My Tamron 28-75 is sharp as a tack across the range and I only asked for reference sake. I'm adding some new glass this year and might want this info (but hope not!!)
02-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 24-70 vs Tamron 28-70

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I have the Sigma 24 - 70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF AutoFocus which is a nice lens and I'm very happy with it's performance, but I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the Sigma and the Tamron. After reading all of the great reviews on the Tamron I'm really tempted to trade in my Sigma for it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Shawn

While I don't have either lens, my suggestion would be for you to go to pbase.com and take a look at the sample images from both lenses.
Sigma 24-70
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG ASP DF Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
Tamron 28-70
Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD (IF) Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Also, slrgear.com can be helpful, as well to get some reviews and ratings from other people:
Sigma Lens: Zooms - Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro - SLRgear.com!
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF SP AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
According to those who have posted reviews, it looks like they think that the Tamron is the better lens.

I myself am looking at either getting the Tamron 17-50 (when it comes out) or a combination of the DA21 + Tamron 28-70. I'm a little torn at the moment as to which one I want to get, as there are definite pluses and minuses to each choice. Later on this week, I'm going to have a couple of days where I'm going to get to spend more time with the camera and kit lens and be able to better evaluate which focal lengths I'm using. If they tend to go more towards the wide end, then that 17-50 would be the obvious choice, but if they're more towards the long end, then the 21 + 28-75 combination would work better.

HTH,
Heather
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #15

Congrats on the 28-75 Tammy. I just bought one off the forums here from egordon and should receive it today or tomorrow, so I'm excited to.

I parted with a 31 ltd and 77 ltd for the versatility of a zoom for chasing my toddler around, so I'm hopeful that the reports of renderings similar to pentax glass are true. I did keep my 43 ltd, as that lens is just awesome in so many respects, but I'm hopeful that from f2.8 up the tammy will be a valiant replacement for the other two limiteds.

Cheers and congrats.