Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #16

Absolutely worth it!

01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Smoke smell on lenses made of metal and glass usually doesn't last too long (after cleaning all the surfaces) because they don't really absorb it -- the rubber parts might. For things where the smell lingers, seal them in a plastic tub (with a locking lid) with cat litter. Don't put the lenses right in the litter because it is gritty, but fill the bottom with litter and then put a small towel or something and lay the lens on (remove caps, but also include caps in the box if they stink). Rotate them once in a while so all surfaces are exposed. If they are bad, leave them in there a week. (Works on tougher cases like books too.) I use "World's Best Cat Litter" which is made out of corn and not icky as cheap litter. (I don't have a cat and only use it for such projects so lasts forever.)
01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have been able to functionally test each of them and they all perform as they should.

Thanks Docrwm and vonBaloney for the suggestions. I will give the sealed container with litter a try. I won't put them in my lens bag until I get the smell off of them.
01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
I have been able to functionally test each of them and they all perform as they should.

Thanks Docrwm and vonBaloney for the suggestions. I will give the sealed container with litter a try. I won't put them in my lens bag until I get the smell off of them.
Never had much trouble with stink on lenses, it usually wipes off -- it is more bodies with leather, stuff like that. Just clean them well and get them some air is usually all it takes. If you do put them in the box, extend the focus so the barrel is fully exposed (this will often "open up" the rear to air as well), although on some lenses you may want to rotate between infinity and as close as possible so that the rear element is exposed too. Depends on the design. But if they stink you're really probably targeting rubber grips and just residual dirt in the nooks and crannies so it is probably all right on the surface...

01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Link to a comparison test I did of the M28/2.8 with my Vivitar 28/2.8 CF.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/211171-compari...ml#post2232053
01-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some of the Tokina 17/3.5 samples https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/211639-tokina-1...ml#post2237929