Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

F1.2 worth it or not?

Hi,

So I'm wondering if the nikon 50 1.2 is worth it for me, I will tell you a little bit more about how I will be using this lens.

First off, I recently got a new dslr, the canon t4i (no, not a pentax.. sorry! I've always used canon...).
And I'm mostly into videography, so manual focus isn't a problem, in fact, I hate using autofocus even for photos.

I own the 18-55 kit lens, smc takumar 1.4 and helio 44-2 (58mm f2). But I want to sell the SMC takumar 1.4 because it's not in perfect condition, and get a faster lens, so that I can get more depth of field in my youtube videos.
I'm a technology reviewer: WhatTechShow - YouTube (video quality SUCKS, but hey! I'm trying my best to improve! I'm only 15. Also, using the dslr for the first time)

Is a 50mm 1.2 worth it? I'm thinking of getting the Pentax, Olympus or Nikon. But is it a very big difference over 1.4? I mostly do close up product shots, so depth of field and bokeh would be really useful.

NOTE: I'm going to resell the smc takumar 1.4 anyways, I just want to know if I should opt for a different f1.4 or a f1.2 lens. The main goal here is depth of field, but is the extra depth of field worth the price difference??

I'm new to this!

01-05-2013, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what its worth, you are asking about Depth of Field. Slide on over to a DoF Calculator and lets find out...
Select 50mm
Select f1.4
Select about 3 feet - I am going to think that your about 3 feet from what you are shooting for an estimate.
Click on [Calculate] and the number is 0.06 feet
Then ...
Select f1.2
Click on [Calculate] and the number is 0.05 feet
Subtracting the two yields 0.01 feet or 0.12 inches change in the width of the Depth of Field.

That is a lot of money to spend, in order to squeeze the Depth of Field down by 12/100 's of an inch. The question is can you actually see a difference of 12/100's of an inch in the video? Also, is the bokeh going to be any better for the $$$$?

Only you can decide this.....

01-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
I mostly do close up product shots, so depth of field
Maybe I am misunderstanding but you do realize the f/1.2 will give you LESS depth of field then f/1.4, not more. And even if that is your goal there will not be any significant difference in DOF if you are doing product shots.
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am misunderstanding but you do realize the f/1.2 will give you LESS depth of field then f/1.4, not more. And even if that is your goal there will not be any significant difference in DOF if you are doing product shots.

yes, i meant less depth of field ( a more shallow depth of field )

01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

A K or A 50/1.2 is a very good lens optically and incredible in low light. However, it will be in the $350 to $500 range.
01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

yes, i meant less depth of field ( a more shallow depth of field )
Ok, just wanted to make sure. I do lots of product shots and work very hard to get MORE dof not less. I usually shoot at f/11 or above to make sure everything is in focus. But maybe video is different, not my thing. But I still do not think you will see any significant difference at the distances you will be using.

Nice review by the way, very professionally done. You have a future in broadcasting
01-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I don't think that the ability to skinny down the DoF is worth the additional funds, in that the difference in the DoF would not make a noticeable difference to the viewer in terms of highlighting a particular subject area. Remember, 0.12 of an inch would be about the width of a thread in a stitch on the case in your video. In looking at your videos a couple of times is that you have more than sufficient DoF control to highlight the area of the items that you would be interested in pointing out. Overall as jatrax pointed out, a deeper or wider DoF would certainly help in a lot more situations. A thinner DoF would be more useful in a Macro environment.

I remembered a product video that used DoF effectively several times - one somewhat uniquely (my opinion) in a video, was this one around the 1.50 mark...Your product review was very interesting - it kept my attention. Good luck in your future endevours....

01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi,

So I'm wondering if the nikon 50 1.2 is worth it for me, I will tell you a little bit more about how I will be using this lens.

First off, I recently got a new dslr, the canon t4i (no, not a pentax.. sorry! I've always used canon...).
And I'm mostly into videography, so manual focus isn't a problem, in fact, I hate using autofocus even for photos.

I own the 18-55 kit lens, smc takumar 1.4 and helio 44-2 (58mm f2). But I want to sell the SMC takumar 1.4 because it's not in perfect condition, and get a faster lens, so that I can get more depth of field in my youtube videos.
I'm a technology reviewer: WhatTechShow - YouTube (video quality SUCKS, but hey! I'm trying my best to improve! I'm only 15. Also, using the dslr for the first time)

Is a 50mm 1.2 worth it? I'm thinking of getting the Pentax, Olympus or Nikon. But is it a very big difference over 1.4? I mostly do close up product shots, so depth of field and bokeh would be really useful.

NOTE: I'm going to resell the smc takumar 1.4 anyways, I just want to know if I should opt for a different f1.4 or a f1.2 lens. The main goal here is depth of field, but is the extra depth of field worth the price difference??

I'm new to this!
I would not recommend getting a manual focus F1.2 lens as it's really hard to focus properly without focus peaking or a split screen / microprism viewfinder. If you want cooler bokeh, just shoot closer to your subject with an F1.4

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

Hello iNicole.

If you are intrested to see "article" about Pentax A 50 1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 comparison send me PM.

By.

Last edited by p44f; 01-05-2013 at 11:53 PM.
01-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Depends on which f/1.2 lens you mean the nikkor 50mm f/1.2 - still in production, not that great optically. The nikkor 55mm f/1.2- not bad, still fetches a decent price on fleabay. The Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 ASPH - not many of theses were made, and they cost megabucks. I own one and out of 180 50mm lenses it was the 5th most expensive 50mm lens I own.

A word of warning though f/1.2 lenses are not for the inexperienced. Many lenses that are this fast tend not to perform all that well - even when stopped down*.

*There are a few notable exceptions to this rule. the pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 Performs superbly on the Pentax K5IIs - providing shallow DOF at 1/2 and bleeding edge sharpness form f/4~f/8. The Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 ASPH also performs quite well on the D800E - quite remarkable considering the year it was made, it is sharper than the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G at f/5.6

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-05-2013 at 11:57 PM.
01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice videos. Very well done and comprehensive, with good cinematography for what little there is to show!

For the lens question - have you considered the ubiquitous Samyang/Rokinon/etc. 85mm f/1.4 in native Canon mount? (They also make a "cinema" version for Canon) Dirt cheap for the quality it provides, and you could get the same FOV and DOF as a 50/1.2 with the camera a little further from the object. And since it's a current product, you can video review it! Just a suggestion...

Last edited by panoguy; 01-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Nice videos. Very well done and comprehensive, with good cinematography for what little there is to show!

For the lens question - have you considered the ubiquitous Samyang/Rokinon/etc. 85mm f/1.4 in native Canon mount? (They also make a "cinema" version for Canon) Dirt cheap for the quality it provides, and you could get the same FOV and DOF as a 50/1.2 with the camera a little further from the object. And since it's a current product, you can video review it! Just a suggestion...
Agreed - nice video ... and panoguy's Samyang suggestion seems better than faster f1.2 glass IMHO ... J