Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #61

SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | sigmaphoto.com

Check the bottom of that page. No model listed for Pentax.

Canon, Nikon and Sigma fit only by the looks of it.

01-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | sigmaphoto.com

Check the bottom of that page. No model listed for Pentax.

Canon, Nikon and Sigma fit only by the looks of it.
I think that's an early press release, but eventually it will available for Pentax too. Sigma recently released 35/1.4 for Pentax and I am hopeful that it will continue.
01-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #63
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I think that's an early press release, but eventually it will available for Pentax too. Sigma recently released 35/1.4 for Pentax and I am hopeful that it will continue.
They did?

I recently asked Sigma and their answer was "it's policy to not comment on future product plans".
01-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #64

Yep I can see they have the 35mm listed for Pentax. Will see if they do the same with the 30 and see how much it will cost before I buy the current version.

I have a feeling it will be too much for me!

01-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
They did?

I recently asked Sigma and their answer was "it's policy to not comment on future product plans".
Yes, available for pre-order Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A1 Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras 340109
01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #66

If the 30mm is around that price, its way out of my price range!!
01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Just curious why do you kinda restrict your ISO to 500?
Looking at my friend's K-30, with the K5 sensor in it can handle up to ISO 6400 comfortably, even 12800 i believe.
I know that the K-30 is good at high ISO, but it's not as though it's noise-free at high ISO. Just like any other DSLR I've owned, it's best below ISO 400. Unless I'm going for a particular mood where grain is an asset, then I like my pictures to be as clean as possible. That's one of the main reasons I bought a DSLR!

I shoot high ISO when the situation calls for it, but when I'm shooting people I try to keep the ISO as low as possible since I don't find noise particularly attractive in color pictures of people, especially in the shadowed areas of their skin. I like it when you can take a picture of somebody and see the pattern in their irises and the texture of their hair, skin, and clothing. At high ISO, you loose a lot of the super-fine detail.

I honestly believe most people don't understand that the K-5/K-30/K-01 have been made with high ISO handling in mind because they're coming off compacts and don't understand ISO and other differences between an APS camera and a small-sensored compact.
Are those comments directed at me because I was shooting at ISO 500??? I think that if you look at all those pictures, you'll see that the shutter speed was appropriate for the given situation. So why needlessly go to a higher ISO?

I'm not just coming off compacts. I left compacts years ago because of the weak performance at high ISO. I've owned an Olympus e-410, e-520,Canon t2i, Pentax K-x, and now the K-30 in addition to an Olympus E-P1. But whether you were talking about me or not, I think that buyers of Pentax DSLR's do tend to be more informed than the average buyer of a Canon or Nikon. With Pentax not really being "out there", people usually don't come across it without first doing some research.

Now on the topic of the new 30mm, it would have to be a significant improvement over the old 30mm for me to consider upgrading. It looks like it's supposed to have better edge sharpness, but that's not an issue for how I typically use my 30mm. Anytime I need absolute edge-to-edge sharpness then I probably won't be shooting anywhere near f1.4 anyway, so I can go with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or my Sigma 10-20mm.

01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #68

Edge sharpness not the most important thing for me.

Is there any early indications of price for the new version?
01-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #69
Banned

I haven't the slightest clue of who you are and I didn't refer to you. I didn't know you existed until this post where you thought I was, somehow, speaking directly to you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I know that the K-30 is good at high ISO, but it's not as though it's noise-free at high ISO. Just like any other DSLR I've owned, it's best below ISO 400. Unless I'm going for a particular mood where grain is an asset, then I like my pictures to be as clean as possible. That's one of the main reasons I bought a DSLR!

I shoot high ISO when the situation calls for it, but when I'm shooting people I try to keep the ISO as low as possible since I don't find noise particularly attractive in color pictures of people, especially in the shadowed areas of their skin. I like it when you can take a picture of somebody and see the pattern in their irises and the texture of their hair, skin, and clothing. At high ISO, you loose a lot of the super-fine detail.

Are those comments directed at me because I was shooting at ISO 500??? I think that if you look at all those pictures, you'll see that the shutter speed was appropriate for the given situation. So why needlessly go to a higher ISO?

I'm not just coming off compacts. I left compacts years ago because of the weak performance at high ISO. I've owned an Olympus e-410, e-520,Canon t2i, Pentax K-x, and now the K-30 in addition to an Olympus E-P1. But whether you were talking about me or not, I think that buyers of Pentax DSLR's do tend to be more informed than the average buyer of a Canon or Nikon. With Pentax not really being "out there", people usually don't come across it without first doing some research.

Now on the topic of the new 30mm, it would have to be a significant improvement over the old 30mm for me to consider upgrading. It looks like it's supposed to have better edge sharpness, but that's not an issue for how I typically use my 30mm. Anytime I need absolute edge-to-edge sharpness then I probably won't be shooting anywhere near f1.4 anyway, so I can go with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or my Sigma 10-20mm.
01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I haven't the slightest clue of who you are and I didn't refer to you. I didn't know you existed until this post where you thought I was, somehow, speaking directly to you.
I posted pictures shot at ISO 500, and SyncGuy asked why I was shooting at such a low ISO. Then you quoted and responded to SyncGuy's comment about the low ISO I shot at. Not really a long trail to follow.
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #71
Banned

I posted pictures shot at ISO 500, and SyncGuy asked why I was shooting at such a low ISO. Then you quoted and responded to SyncGuy's comment about the low ISO I shot at. Not really a long trail to follow.
That's cool and all, but I wasn't referring to you.

The internet wasn't speaking directly to you. All one has to do is go to DPR and see these types of folks, too. Or reference the story about the 5DII owner I personally know, which seems to be omitted here in your quest to make my posts specifically about you.
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #72
Veteran Member

That's cool and all, but I wasn't referring to you.

The internet wasn't speaking directly to you. All one has to do is go to DPR and see these types of folks, too. Or reference the story about the 5DII owner I personally know, which seems to be omitted here in your quest to make my posts specifically about you.
You're welcome to your sarcasm, but you said "most people don't understand that the K-5/K-30/K-01 have been made with high ISO handling" in direct response to a comment about my ISO 500 shots, so I really don't see where I was reaching too far to make something be about me. (And "most people" encompasses quite a few people, I would think.) But it's not like I'm super offended or anything, I just thought it was a strange comment.
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #73
Banned

You're welcome to your sarcasm, but you said "most people don't understand that the K-5/K-30/K-01 have been made with high ISO handling" in direct response to a comment about my ISO 500 shots, so I really don't see where I was reaching too far to make something be about me. (And "most people" encompasses quite a few people, I would think.) But it's not like I'm super offended or anything, I just thought it was a strange comment.
I actually didn't know you shoot at ISO 500 until you told me in this post.

So why do you shoot at ISO 500 and not go higher?
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #74

Back on topic! Has anyone seen indications of the price of this lens?

If I decided on pentax and maybe up to 50mm, what lens is best for the £300 mark?
01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #75
Veteran Member

which lens? the "old" 30mm f1.4?