Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ultra-wide dilemma (K-5)

Greetings and salutations from Denmark, all

This is my first post on PF, so please be gentle with me and keep in mind that I am still an oblivious newbie in the world of photography more or less in general.

In short, here's my problem... I've had my sights set on the announced 10mm rectilinear UW lens from Samyang, but I've now learned that it has been delayed (confirmed by Danish importer of Samyang products a few days ago) and is now supposed to see launch around November 2013 at the earliest.

Thing is, I'd love to get my hands on an affordable UW lens with rectilinear "behaviour", and the Samyang seemed the perfect fit - however, with this delay (and knowing my own lack of patience ) I can't help but start to look at alternatives, but I'm struggling to see if any real ones exist? I mean, UW made for APS-C, rectilinear, and a fast aperture option. What's not to like? Granted, there must be far superior lenses out there, but those are very likely to be way off my budget

So, boys and girls. If you know of any other lenses out there that will give me what the Samyang 10mm is promising, please let it be known to me Also, a small note to keep in mind. If at all possible, lenses buyable in Denmark (or the EU) are preferred, since import taxes added when bringing something home from US or Asia sort of defeats the purpose for me in terms of making it an affordable buy.

Thank you very much for your time and advice in advance!

01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hold out or trey to obtain one from another source. The samyang lenses come under a variety of names such as Rokinion, vivitar etc etc. They have superb IQ and at the price they sell at, they dont realy have much in the way of competition
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SIgma 8-16 is probably your only other option, but you won't like the price... I'm still struggling with it.
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

sigma 10-20

sgma 8-16

01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Emperor and Senpai

I'm happy with my Tamron 10-24. It's not a prime, but I've gotten some great shots with it.
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

So you're talking about the 10mm f/2.8. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any other lenses that wide and fast. Do you know what the price is supposed to be?
01-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback, one and all

So far, I've been looking at some of Pentax's own UWs, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina... None of them really offer what the Samyang is promising, and if IQ is what it tends to be, then the comparable price is way, way better than what most if not all other lens manufacturers can come up with.

Looks like I'll have to be patient and await the delayed launch of the Samyang.

In terms of pricing, I am leaning towards the price bracket that most other Samyang lenses are in, which means it will end up in the very reasonable corner of the market. I' expecting the 10mm f/2.8 to be priced similarly to the 14mm f/2.8 - albeit with the possible 'exception' that the wider focal length may price it slighty higher