Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

50MM 1:2 M VS A (film era lenses)

Almost a year ago my dad gave me his last bits of old camera's two lenses. Both a 50MM lens. The differences: one is a 1:2 M 50MM the other one a 1:2 A 50MM and the looks are different. Have tried some simple shooting with it and they work the way you can expect with all settings(M/P/Tv/Av etc.), no problems, fits the way they should on the K200 and K5.

For except those little differences, is it really worth to keep them both? As I'm really in the mood to sell one of them.

Also wonder if anyone has experiences with the 1:2 M or A. As I mainly read experiences with 1:4 or higher.

01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Almost a year ago my dad gave me his last bits of old camera's two lenses. Both a 50MM lens. The differences: one is a 1:2 M 50MM the other one a 1:2 A 50MM and the looks are different. Have tried some simple shooting with it and they work the way you can expect with all settings(M/P/Tv/Av etc.), no problems, fits the way they should on the K200 and K5.

For except those little differences, is it really worth to keep them both? As I'm really in the mood to sell one of them.

Also wonder if anyone has experiences with the 1:2 M or A. As I mainly read experiences with 1:4 or higher.
I believe they're the same lens optically (though the M came in two versions).

I would hang on to the A version if you're shooting with a DSLR.

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shot the "one lens a month" challenge last month with a 1:2 M.

December 2012 - a set on Flickr

Very affordable and capable lens.
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The M 1:2 makes a nice body cap for your film cameras on the shelf.

01-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For use on a modern camera the A lens offers more real world benefits than the M. AFAIK Adam is correct that optically they are the same.
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. All.

Adam&boriscleto&Colbyt: Got a A3000 and a ME as old SLR camera's. They should still officially work. They belong to those camera's. Have in total 5 lenses(including those 2) which can be used on those camera's as well. Think indeed I can get rid of the M. Even though the M works without problems on the K5&K200.

Corto-PA: Great photo's! Sadly I'm not using Flickr very much yet. But will keep an eye on your Flickr.
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Make sure you're not looking at the A50/1.2. Although it's unlikely, it would explain the presence of 2 otherwise nearly identical lenses. Your comment about "mainly reading experiences with 1:4 or higher" got me wondering, since 1:4 is uncommon in a 50 (except perhaps a macro), while 1.4 is very common.

In any case, the A setting is convenient and is usually a good enough reason to keep that one.

01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Make sure you're not looking at the A50/1.2. Although it's unlikely, it would explain the presence of 2 otherwise nearly identical lenses. Your comment about "mainly reading experiences with 1:4 or higher" got me wondering, since 1:4 is uncommon in a 50 (except perhaps a macro), while 1.4 is very common.

In any case, the A setting is convenient and is usually a good enough reason to keep that one.
If it's a 1:1.2 he should ABSOLUTELY NOT sell it. Lucky fellah if it is ...
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #9

If you are feeling brave, the Taiwanese 50 mm F2 lens is a good candidate to be turned into a single element lens- you need a lens wrench and a couple of small cross-head screwdrivers, remove all the lens elements except for the one behind the iris. Re-assemble for some Wild abberations!
01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand when you say they work with all the camera settings (Av, T). My understanding was the M lens only worked with the camera on manual setting since the aperture can only be set by the aperture ring on the lens and not set by your camera. On my camera, I then have to push the AE-L button prior to taking the picture so that the shutter speed adjusts accordingly. The A lens can take advantage of using your camera setting to set the aperture. So I'd keep the A. Although I don't think you'll get much for the M F2. There's a zillion of them out there.
01-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
I don't understand when you say they work with all the camera settings (Av, T). My understanding was the M lens only worked with the camera on manual setting since the aperture can only be set by the aperture ring on the lens and not set by your camera. On my camera, I then have to push the AE-L button prior to taking the picture so that the shutter speed adjusts accordingly. The A lens can take advantage of using your camera setting to set the aperture. So I'd keep the A. Although I don't think you'll get much for the M F2. There's a zillion of them out there.
On manual focus both lenses work great! Never had to use the AE-L button on any of my old lenses on the K200 or K5. And those two 50MM lenses were the only two I got last year. Even had a FA prime in my possession (not sure if it was a 28MM or a 50MM) which was terrible on any manual stand it was on at the Samsung GX1l and K200 but worked great on the auto focus. Gave it to my dad with the K200.

Not sure how you managed it in your menu, but barely had to change anything to get it work on the K5 when I did get the camera. Had to change more on the K200 to get it all worked. And thank god I don't have to use the AE-L button, and never used it.

And Timo: They both are 1:2.

Professor Batty: Not changing anything on the lenses. As they are both in great condition I prefer to keep it that way.
01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's just something specific to my low end K100D.
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

On manual focus both lenses work great! Never had to use the AE-L button on any of my old lenses on the K200 or K5.
It might seem that way at first glance, but this is not true. With M lenses, the aperture ring has no effect whatsoever when not in M mode. You can set it to f/2, f/5.6, or f/22, and you'll get the exact same shutter speed and the exact same image - and f/2 image. That is, it is impossible to get a picture at any aperture other the f/2 - no matter where you set the aperture ring, f/2 is what you get. Only in M mode does the aperture ring actually function to control aperture. Whereas with A lenses, while the aperture ring continues to be completely ignored in all modes other than M, you can control aperture using the camera just as you would with a modern lens.
01-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Marc

I really glad you clarified that. It was bugging me.

I knew the first part was true because I took an entire series that all were the same and then about a week ago I was in full manual mode and the camera respected the aperture setting. I had not gotten around to figuring it out.
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I beg to differ from some of the above members.

I admit, I have a very soft spot for the M50/2. It was the kit lens I got with my MX. Mine, #5714428, metal barrel version, bought in Australia in February 1981, was labelled Asahi Opt. Co., Japan.

My reason to differ from above contributions, so long as you are happy with MF, it is better. There is no AF mechanism to fail. This makes a failure less likely and also would make maintenance easier if it ever needed to be opened.