Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Spotting Scope or Mirror Lens?

I'm curious about what's better between using a spotting scope and a regular mirror lens to achieve long-distance photography. I know that there will be loss of image quality, but what's better or worse. Anyone with experience?

01-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I'm curious about what's better between using a spotting scope and a regular mirror lens to achieve long-distance photography. I know that there will be loss of image quality, but what's better or worse. Anyone with experience?
I could be wrong, but I don't think too many people are using SLRs with spotting scopes. But "digiscoping" -- using a spotting scope in conjunction with a compact P&S type camera is becoming more and more popular with birders. The reasons are simple:

-- It works reasonably well when you are more concerned with just getting a shot of bird then a "print-worthy" shot, although remarkably good quality can be achieved. But then you're ending up spending $$$ on digiscope adapters, etc etc

-- Birders have spotting scopes anyway, and the range is much greater and at much lower cost than high-end telephoto lenses.
01-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I'm curious about what's better between using a spotting scope and a regular mirror lens
Mirror lens can be cheaper and easier to handle, but suffers from not so good contrast. An ED spotting scope can have remarkable image quality with cost penalty.
I have only played with Pentax PF-80 ED, the problem with it was the fact that, in order to connect a D-SLR and achieve focus, you need to use the CA-35 adapter, making the focal length too long and causing serious loss of light.
Better alternative IMO would be a ED doublet or triplet telescope, using prime focus with T-adapter. For example:
ED80T CF Triplet Apochromatic Refractor Telescope | Orion Telescopes
01-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've gone through more than my share of mirror lenses before landing on a good one. If you're going to go with a mirror lens, there are only a couple I'd consider: Either the Tair 3M-5CA or Tamron. Anything else and you're likely to be disappointed.

01-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Why not use a Pentax Q with adapter to PK lenses? Only manual focus, but many of the pictures with e.g. DA*300 that I have seen looks very good.