Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Manual wide angle lens

I was digging through the lens database looking for a manual wide angle prime lens. Currently I have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as my main lens. I just got the K-30 body (no kit lens on it) and I plan to give my old K-M and kit lens away. If I buy another kit lens it'll be the 18-55 WR lens that goes with the K-30, but that's a bit more expensive, around $200 I think from BH and about $300 if I but it here in Korea. (probably another one I'll have to order, even with shipping it'll come out cheaper)
But I'm not in a hurry to buy that. Rainy season is a long way off just yet, and I'd like to get myself a manual wide angle lens. I was looking at the Tokina SL-17 (I think that was the one it was last night) which looked very nice and wasn't reported to be expensive, but I can't seem to find it anywhere at all. Ebay seems fresh out, google can't turn up much beyond a couple reviews and forum discussions, and didn't see one listed for sale in associated with the database.

Anyone know of anywhere selling these?
or a decent alternative. I'm looking for something cheaper. Not looking for an expensive autofocus or even any kind of zoom. I like my 50mm f1.7 mf prime for some shots, so I'd like a prime wide angle as well.

01-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I was digging through the lens database looking for a manual wide angle prime lens. Currently I have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as my main lens. I just got the K-30 body (no kit lens on it) and I plan to give my old K-M and kit lens away. If I buy another kit lens it'll be the 18-55 WR lens that goes with the K-30, but that's a bit more expensive, around $200 I think from BH and about $300 if I but it here in Korea. (probably another one I'll have to order, even with shipping it'll come out cheaper)
But I'm not in a hurry to buy that. Rainy season is a long way off just yet, and I'd like to get myself a manual wide angle lens. I was looking at the Tokina SL-17 (I think that was the one it was last night) which looked very nice and wasn't reported to be expensive, but I can't seem to find it anywhere at all. Ebay seems fresh out, google can't turn up much beyond a couple reviews and forum discussions, and didn't see one listed for sale in associated with the database.

Anyone know of anywhere selling these?
or a decent alternative. I'm looking for something cheaper. Not looking for an expensive autofocus or even any kind of zoom. I like my 50mm f1.7 mf prime for some shots, so I'd like a prime wide angle as well.
Take a look at the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 14mm F2.8. On APS-C it's pretty damn good!
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think that the Tokina lens is pretty hard to find these days- and it's definitely not available new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely much pricier than I want, and that one looks like it might be a fisheye or some kind of half-fish-eye. For that price I might as well just get the 18-55 WR kit lens.
01-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is that old lenses were never very wide angle to begin with, and you are using a crop sensor so they appear even less wide. The old lenses that were very wide usually suffered in quality. Modern computer-engineered wide angles are much better, especially with the modern multicoatings. The other problem is that old UWA lenses were rare and expensive to begin with, so its hard to get them,
There is that Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lens, which is 14mm and relatively fast, and it is NOT a fisheye. The 8mm Samyang is fisheye. And I think Samyang is a Korean company? Or makes lenses in Korea? I remember that from somewhere, maybe you can get them cheaper locally.
There is also a cheap 16mm Zenitar, which is a fisheye, but it is not as fishy on a crop sensor. Pentax makes some nice primes and wide angle zooms (14mm, 15mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm), maybe you can get one of these used.
Also, feel free to check out the Pentax and third party lens review database on this forum, its pretty neat.

01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is also a cheap 16mm Zenitar, which is a fisheye, but it is not as fishy on a crop sensor. Pentax makes some nice primes and wide angle zooms (14mm, 15mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm), maybe you can get one of these used
Zen images from St Jacobs Ontario - Steve's Digicams Forums

The Zen K mount is still cheap in ebay

Daniel