Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did not worry about distortion, in fact I embraced it with a Sigma 15! A fun fisheye that is not too fishy, is fast & focuses close. Not for everyone but a great option. Had a DA15 shown up its price I would have loved it too, but the sig was a bargain.

01-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
sTi
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies so far! I am not yet cured of my desire for the DA 14, though
Somehow I feel it would lend itself better to my photographic needs. I am not so keen on doing those sweeping, edge-to-edge sharp landscape pictures for which many people seem to use their ultra-wides most often. For those pictures I have no doubt that the DA 15 or DA 12-24 stopped down to f8 or so would probably be a better (or at least more convenient) choice.
I am more interested in making pictures that create tension between foreground and background, either by using contrasting subjects or by exaggerating the perspective. Or simply to show close objects (or people) in their surroundings. I feel that either the high minimum focus distance of the DA12-24 or the ugly (to my eyes) bokeh of the DA 15 might be problematic for these uses.

What stops me from buying right now is the fact that Pentax (according to their lens roadmap) are planning to release two new lenses this year that might affect my decision.
The first is the ~12-30 zoom that might be another interesting option if it is either smaller or closer-focusing than the existing DA 12-24.
The second is the ~20-40 "limited zoom", which sounds tempting. If I decided to get this later on, the DA 15 might be a better companion to it than it would be to my DA 17-70 now...
01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
sTi
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
What stops me from buying right now is the fact that Pentax (according to their lens roadmap) are planning to release two new lenses this year that might affect my decision.
The first is the ~12-30 zoom that might be another interesting option if it is either smaller or closer-focusing than the existing DA 12-24.
The second is the ~20-40 "limited zoom", which sounds tempting. If I decided to get this later on, the DA 15 might be a better companion to it than it would be to my DA 17-70 now...
So, guess what I ended up with?

After trying to order the DA 14 from two different sellers I usually trust, I was told by both that the DA 14 is not available and no longer produced. This was later confirmed by the Pentax (Germany) support which I contacted in this matter. Now that's a truly unloved lens, probably the first DA lens (besides earlier incarnations of cheap kit lenses) that goes out of production...

So it seems anyone wanting to get the DA 14 should do so soon. There are still sellers who have it in stock (for a higher price than my preferred sellers), but I finally decided against it and settled on the lens that everyone else seems to get: The DA 15
Don't ask me for the reasons, somehow I still feel that the DA 14 would better match my photographic needs. But the much smaller size (and considerably lower price) of the DA 15 finally settled things in favour of the latter... I hope I'll not regret it
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

I don't think you will be disappointed in the 15 Limited. I too am looking forward to the Limited Zoom. The Limiteds have never disappointed me (I have 5) and have given me a lot of satisfaction. Their small size and weight are a significant advantage as well.

01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
I finally decided against it and settled on the lens that everyone else seems to get: The DA 15
Don't ask me for the reasons, somehow I still feel that the DA 14 would better match my photographic needs. But the much smaller size (and considerably lower price) of the DA 15 finally settled things in favour of the latter... I hope I'll not regret it
You may be able to do a straight trade with a DA 14 owner. I think this has happened in the past.