Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Sigma 600mm lens

While I was in Cincinnati for the holidays I ran across a Sigma 600mm cat lens. The lens itself is pristine -- very, very clean. It fits on my K-30 (yay! I was worried about that.)

But it has some minor issues: the rear cap is there, but the front cap is gone. The lens case is gone. The only (rear) filter remaining is the clear glass. It doesn't fit in my Tamrac bag unless I leave one of my other lenses (SMC-A 50/1.7, DL* 18-55 and 50-200) out. I don't have cases for them, either. I am very concerned about the lack of a front lens cap, and the missing ND filters.

Price on the lens is $350. I looked here on the Forum and on E-bay, and it looked to me like $175 or so was reasonable. The seller wouldn't come below $275, but would throw a Lowe lens case that fit at that price. I was willing to go to $250, but that seems (to me) on the high side of reasonable.

So, here are my questions, cat shooters:

1. Is this lens worth $275 with the missing pieces and parts?
2. Are front lens caps available? I don't care about it being a Sigma cap, but for sure I want something over that huge objective lens.
3. Is a soft bag adequate protection for these lenses?

Thanks in advance!

01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

Has an 86mm front element according to reviews which is big, but not that big. The current 150-500 has the same size filter, so caps and filters are available for the front. I wouldn't pay that much for a mirror lens though.
I'd hold off for a conventional lens in the 400 f5.6 range for the same money. Much bigger, but much better iq
01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a Sigma 600 in my old Canon film days, and liked it a lot. A year or two ago I tried alternative mirrors (Adorama, Vivitar, ProOptic) to try to get the cheap-and-long again, but was pretty disappointed.

If I was in the market for a cat (I'm over it :-), the Sigma is what I'd go for.

An old quick-and-dirty scan.
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It should also have a big Lens Hood as well, If it doesn't and its missing all the other bits, its worth , maybe $100.00. Tell the seller he's dreaming.

01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have one. Came with case, both caps, hood, and filters. Paid $200. Missing pieces mean less money, it's not that rare.
As for the filters, you need the clear one, the others I've never used. The clear helps with the image and maybe an optical corrector.
Never seen that in print though.

I like the lens, needs a little contrast boost if shooting in the shade but in sun light it's pretty good.

If the seller is too high on price watch Ebay, they show up monthly.
01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most mirror lenses don't really need ND filters because they are typically F8 or worse and the last thing you want is to reduce the light. With variable ISO and shutter speed you should have no issue controlling exposure.

I would agree on the comment that it would need a contrast boost, I found that also with my celestron C90 mirror

I still prefer my tamron 200-500/5.6 zoom over my 1000mm C90 for sharpness, and I only paid 350 for my zoom, with proper case, a 2x matched tele converter, 2 Nikon mounts, a PKA mount,front and rear filters, both caps. Get the picture. Don't pay if it is not all there
01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Tell the seller he's dreaming.
As soon as I saw that I had to check in which country you resided. I was right. I guess you've watched The Castle!

01-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
As soon as I saw that I had to check in which country you resided. I was right. I guess you've watched The Castle!
Jousting Poles??? How much does he want for them???

I bought my Sigma 600 mirror lens in the 80's for something like 300.00 secondhand with everything, honestly, for up to two hundy dollars these days, so long as its is good condition with all the bits (hood is essential to this lens), its a great performer. Check out the Mirror lens club thread, great pics in there,