Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
this is is AF adjust +4 ISO 400 F 5.4 DNG to Jpeg no PP

Attached Images

01-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've been looking at some sample photos taken with this lens as I've considered getting one. Compared to other photos I've seen taken with this lens, these look like they are lacking contrast, color and sharpness. I can see that being a function of using a TC maybe but even the ones shot without are lacking in those areas. If your other lenses generally perform well on your camera, I think I'd swap this for another copy. Good luck.
01-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shanti, the resolution in your still life shots is bad. If you get similar results using LV, then the lens is defective.
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
more tests

Hi Gray a few more and links to the DNG in my dropbox so you can see what you think,check the LV & PDAF settings on the lens and both seemed in the same place ..could Pentax actually make a dud lens in this price class? as I am new to Pentax and don't know much about them

#1 F4 1/10thsec ISO 400 AF spot
#2 F4 180 ISO 200 pop up flash
#3 F5 180 ISO 800 pop up flash

links to the DNG files untouched
billtest https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4825774/biltest2LV.dng

redini2 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4825774/redi2.dng

flower still life DNG https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4825774/IMGP7794.DNG

Attached Images

01-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I've been looking at some sample photos taken with this lens as I've considered getting one. Compared to other photos I've seen taken with this lens, these look like they are lacking contrast, color and sharpness. I can see that being a function of using a TC maybe but even the ones shot without are lacking in those areas. If your other lenses generally perform well on your camera, I think I'd swap this for another copy. Good luck.
Hi only have the kit lens to compare with,which seems good..TC only used on the 1st ones I posted. it seems like the focus/punch I want is almost there but never really 100%..a bit annoying as I need this FL ,so I hope its only a subpar model,and if I get another it will be right on..
01-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Shanti -

Here are 100% and 33% unprocessed crops of the centre of your DNG file, compared to similar ones taken by me today.

Unless you were too close (less than the minimum focusing distance of your DA) or not using a tripod (1/10 sec too slow for handheld) or have a camera focus issue, I think your lens definitely has a flaw.

Last edited by Gray; 01-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.
01-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I resized them as limit here is not so big ca 200x1600,I have the DNG as well but can I upload those here? not much difference though
You can upload the full, max quality jpeg on a site and post a link to the file. We cannot judge sharpness based on resized jpeg. You may be aware that increasing jpeg compression decrease image quality as jpeg is a loosy compression algorithm. Or you can post 100 % crop of a part of an imagein order to match the limits of the forum

01-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Looking at the images on my laptop, I think they aren't as sharp as they should be. I would exchange it if you can, or you probably will not be happy with it. They do make dud's, I don't think many companies check every lens, I got a bad FA*300mm f2.8 and they wouldn't fix it so exchange it if you can. I loved the DA300mm and the sharpness is excellent if you have a good one. Using a long lens takes some practice too, use higher iso's, hold it steady, even a monopod and SR is a big help. I didn't go much below iso 400 especially with animals.
01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, even high quality lenses can be off. I have a friend who shoots Canon and he went through a couple of 100-400 Limiteds before he got a good one.

The first DA*300 I received, the AF was way off. It was also having trouble locking focus, which may have been due to the poor AF. I exchanged it, and the second one was better but still needed +5 AF Adjust on my K20D, making it useless on the K-x. I sent the lens and my K-x back to Pentax for recalibration. It now needs no adjustment on my K20D and is dead on with the K-x as well. Your results look off to me, I'd return it.

PS When I use a mononpod, I leave SR active.
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back it goes..

Hi thanks alot, so I return it and get another one..if they have? in Denmark Pentax is not very popular, but I have the serial # so they don't try to send back the same lens to me..is it an electronic fault or optical one? if anyone knows why they are duds somethimes
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Shanti -

Here are 100% and 33% unprocessed crops of the centre of your DNG file, compared to similar ones taken by me today.

Unless you were too close (less than the minimum focusing distance of your DA) or not using a tripod (1/10 sec too slow for handheld) or have a camera focus issue, I think your lens definitely has a flaw.

was on tripod,self timer 2 sec delay,SR off..could I have a camera focus issue? only have the kit lens but maybe should check that as well the same way
01-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last try to get it sharp

last try to see how sharp they can be,all taken with pop up flash, 180sec,SR on,handheld,ISO 400- 800,F4 to F9,hope exif comes up if not all files & DNG are on my dropbox folder link below
the candle holder was taken almost the dark,as to test the AF
focus was single spot in center of image or cats nose...
I view on an Eizo 24'' monitor which is very accurate, it seems to me the focus is almost there but not quite what I expect from as lens of this caliber..I guess it goes back tomm.

link to all files full size
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iwqulgedfwjmep3/5ngAqCl_6D
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo         
01-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
You can upload the full, max quality jpeg on a site and post a link to the file. We cannot judge sharpness based on resized jpeg. You may be aware that increasing jpeg compression decrease image quality as jpeg is a loosy compression algorithm. Or you can post 100 % crop of a part of an imagein order to match the limits of the forum

Hi maybe you didn't see my dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iwqulgedfwjmep3/5ngAqCl_6D
DNG files here as well
01-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears you have already made up your mind to return the lens. Too bad...

Speaking as a stranger who knows nothing about your 'test' scene, camera set-up and your technique, I'd say it seems like you are demonstrating user error.

When paired to my K-5, I found the DA*300/4 has a learning curve. It took me about two months using the lens every day in a wide variety of settings to get the hang of it. The way you describe things doesn't read like you are in total control of the camera much less the lens.

...my 2 euros...

Cheers...M
01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
It appears you have already made up your mind to return the lens. Too bad...

Speaking as a stranger who knows nothing about your 'test' scene, camera set-up and your technique, I'd say it seems like you are demonstrating user error.

When paired to my K-5, I found the DA*300/4 has a learning curve. It took me about two months using the lens every day in a wide variety of settings to get the hang of it. The way you describe things doesn't read like you are in total control of the camera much less the lens.

...my 2 euros...

Cheers...M
can you explain more..only had camera for 2 weeks now as switched from OLY for more resolution,so of course I don't know the K5II so well yet.But tests on a tripod and the focus locked on still was not as sharp as I expected,even when stopped down. Did you find you got sharper pics after awhile? I get another if I return it as I need this FL.