Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Looking at the images on my laptop, I think they aren't as sharp as they should be. I would exchange it if you can, or you probably will not be happy with it. They do make dud's, I don't think many companies check every lens, I got a bad FA*300mm f2.8 and they wouldn't fix it so exchange it if you can. I loved the DA300mm and the sharpness is excellent if you have a good one. Using a long lens takes some practice too, use higher iso's, hold it steady, even a monopod and SR is a big help. I didn't go much below iso 400 especially with animals.
Hi looked at your gallery shots..good timing on alot of the BIF ones..that's what I plan to do with the lens when it gets lighter here...are you sharpening them alot in PS or? did you see the latest cat ones in my dropbox? I think at F9 they should be sharper/more DOF at 5m away from the subject,or is that normal? after using 4/3 for so long at 300mm/600effective seems more DOF with Oly,but I know the smaller sensor size helps it..

01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Those last ones look pretty good, I think. I would post some of mine, but I'm not exactly sure which ones are with the DA300, as I had the sigma 100-300mm f4 (very good also) and I don't have the pentax software to check the exif on my new computer. I missed the 300mm f4, and just got a deal on a used 300mm f4 for my canon and am quite pleased with it. Very similar in sharpness and nice close focus too, like the pentax.

For sharpening, I usually stick with the capture one default with sometimes set the radius up a tad like from .8 to 1.0. nothing fancy.
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I found a 100% crop with the 1.7x afa and the k20d if it helps at f8 (I'm guessing f5 on the lens?)

01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
...only had camera for 2 weeks now as switched from OLY for more resolution,so of course I don't know the K5II so well yet.....
You made my point.

Cheers..M

01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found a 100% crop with the 1.7x afa and the k20d if it helps at f8 (I'm guessing f5 on the lens?)
nice borno..you focused on the eye yes? and F5/8 you got more DOF than I got at F9... I shot some swans(1/250 F8,monopod) at maybe same distance and not as sharp, so I really wonder if its the lens, cause camera shake will look different ...
01-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The AF area is pretty big and probably covered half the bird at the distance I was at. I used a monopod with SR on and took plenty of shots to be sure to get sharp ones and in focus. I don't think you will find more DOF with any lens at a particular aperture and focal length. This is still a bit of a crop. They love it to get a Walleye (good eatin')

01-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The AF area is pretty big and probably covered half the bird at the distance I was at. I used a monopod with SR on and took plenty of shots to be sure to get sharp ones and in focus. I don't think you will find more DOF with any lens at a particular aperture and focal length. This is still a bit of a crop. They love it to get a Walleye (good eatin')
Great shot there..maybe he's looking at you as his next meal Buzzards are the biggest birds here in the wild, do miss seeing eagles..alot in N. Calif. when I lived there. You have SR on with monopod? I thought that was not good or is it only on a tripod?