Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
10-17 as walking around city lens?

Off to Hong Kong for a week and will be shooing a lot. I will have my Leica D-Lux 3 p&s and normally have my 100mm macro on the dslr. I'm thinking that it will likely be too long for city use. I have the 18-55 kit lens, but also have a 10-17 fisheye showing up. Anyone used that as a "city" lens? Seems like it might be pretty functional at the long end, and suitably wacky for the local tight spaces at the short end. I've never had a 10-17, but did have a Tokina 12-24 for my D70 but I rarely used it. Thoughts?

02-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the FE is able to be a walk around lens, especially in a lively city like Hong Kong where everything is in such close quarters. I used to own one, it was fun, but not really me.
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It would be a good choice.
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Off to Hong Kong for a week and will be shooing a lot. I will have my Leica D-Lux 3 p&s and normally have my 100mm macro on the dslr. I'm thinking that it will likely be too long for city use. I have the 18-55 kit lens, but also have a 10-17 fisheye showing up. Anyone used that as a "city" lens? Seems like it might be pretty functional at the long end, and suitably wacky for the local tight spaces at the short end. I've never had a 10-17, but did have a Tokina 12-24 for my D70 but I rarely used it. Thoughts?
The 10-17 is a perfect city lens in my humble opinion. Be sure to experiment with just how amazingly close you can get to your subject and still focus. I wouldn't think twice about carrying the 18-55 and the 10-17 and the 100mm macro myself though. I don't know about the macro, but the other two lenses are very lightweight and compact. I know you'll get some great shots with your Leica D-Lux 3, that camera is made for travel shooting!

I hope you have a fantastic trip. Please share your photos when you get back.

02-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the 100mm macro is actually not much longer than the 18-55. I might pack all of them. Should be fun shooting. The D-lux 3 has 28-112mm equivalent lens though and I can shoot raw so maybe the macro can stay at home. Seems the 10-17 allows for decent closeup, and the Leica will get to 5cm.
02-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to see what your 10-17 can do, so if you're taking it with you, please post some of your photos for us to see. It might be next on my list to pick up...
02-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I think the 10-17 would give rather nice result sin a tighter city landscape. on the longer end of the lens distortion isn't really bad so I would expect it to be rather usable.

but:

- the front glass of the lens is protruding quite a bit so I would be afraid that it might get scratched in really busy places where lots of people are moving...

-You can get close but in order to get any particular person on the photo you would actually have to get close which might not be what you want.

- the macro lens although really sharp might be a bit inflexible being a prime lens after all...

I would take all of them if you don't mind the schlep or at least the FE and the Kit lens.

Have a great trip!

Cheers Juergen