Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Telephoto Advice

A subject that has likely been beaten to death, but I figured I'd post based on my set of circumstances and see if there is anything else I should be considering.

I'm looking for a reasonably fast tele (either prime or zoom) with decent optics. I am mostly a landscape photographer but also find myself shooting sports and other events periodically for the local paper (I use my own gear, they don't supply it). I've been using a friend's DA 50-200 (non WR) which is wayyyy to slow for most events. However, the image quality is fine for newsprint at high ISOs. I'd also like something that could be used for wildlife but this is sort of secondary. I often use a tripod outdoors but I want something that performs well hand-held as well.

I shoot with a Canon 5DII and Pentax K5. I'd rather have the tele for K mount due to the crop factor and built in SR.

- Budget around $1k US.
- I need at least 200. That rules out the exceptional 50-135. When I shot a swimming event a month ago, I was at 200 on the 50-200 most of the time. (I also plan on carrying my Canon at the same time with a 24-105 for the wider stuff)
- F/4 or faster.
- Weather resistance is preferred for my field work.
- Full frame capability is preferred. I have a hard time anymore buying expensive APS-C glass with Full Frames getting cheaper. I expect Pentax to enter this market in the next year or two.

On the list:
Tamron/Sigma 70-200.
DA*200
DA*300
DA*60-250 (doesn't appear to be truly FF capable though)

Also considering the 70-200 f//4 IS for Canon which is supposedly awesome optically. Possibly better than all of these even if it's a zoom?

Currently thinking about the DA*200. f/ 2.8, weather sealed, based on FA so hopefully full frame capable, great IQ, can use a TC to get up to 300 (hopefully Pentax has a SDM TC soon).

I'm also intrigued by using a tele on a Pentax Q with an adapter for some extreme tele work.

Thanks, Shawn

Last edited by sb in ak; 01-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

Got myself a Sigma 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 DG Macro. Bought it 6.5 years ago when I just had a Samsung DSLR. And I'm still pleased with it. It's not necessary to use a tripod or monopod with this lens. For a 70-300MM it's pretty light, got a Panagor 200MM lens which is heavier. This is the Sigma lens: 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com.
I used it very much in Seaworld last year to shoot and no problems with all the water from the shows getting over it or any rain during an outside assignment, it still works. So shooting with it outside really isn't a problem.
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
A subject that has likely been beaten to death, but I figured I'd post based on my set of circumstances and see if there is anything else I should be considering.

I'm looking for a reasonably fast tele (either prime or zoom) with decent optics. I am mostly a landscape photographer but also find myself shooting sports and other events periodically for the local paper (I use my own gear, they don't supply it). I've been using a friend's DA 50-200 (non WR) which is wayyyy to slow for most events. However, the image quality is fine for newsprint at high ISOs. I'd also like something that could be used for wildlife but this is sort of secondary. I often use a tripod outdoors but I want something that performs well hand-held as well.

I shoot with a Canon 5DII and Pentax K5. I'd rather have the tele for K mount due to the crop factor and built in SR.

- Budget around $1k US.
- I need at least 200. That rules out the exceptional 50-135. When I shot a swimming event a month ago, I was at 200 on the 50-200 most of the time. (I also plan on carrying my Canon at the same time with a 24-105 for the wider stuff)
- F/4 or faster.
- Weather resistance is preferred for my field work.
- Full frame capability is preferred. I have a hard time anymore buying expensive APS-C glass with Full Frames getting cheaper. I expect Pentax to enter this market in the next year or two.

On the list:
Tamron/Sigma 70-200.
DA*200
DA*300
DA*60-250 (doesn't appear to be truly FF capable though)

Also considering the 70-200 f//4 IS for Canon which is supposedly awesome optically. Possibly better than all of these even if it's a zoom?

Currently thinking about the DA*200. f/ 2.8, weather sealed, based on FA so hopefully full frame capable, great IQ, can use a TC to get up to 300 (hopefully Pentax has a SDM TC soon).

I'm also intrigued by using a tele on a Pentax Q with an adapter for some extreme tele work.

Thanks, Shawn
The Sigma 70-200mm has very fast AF, but it's not weather sealed, which is why I'd recommend the 60-250mm. The Canon lens is also great, but obviously you won't have the same reach if you put it on the 5D.

You can then use either lens on the Q, and while the IQ is acceptable, don't expect to use it for events

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Sigma 70-200mm has very fast AF, but it's not weather sealed, which is why I'd recommend the 60-250mm. The Canon lens is also great, but obviously you won't have the same reach if you put it on the 5D.

You can then use either lens on the Q, and while the IQ is acceptable, don't expect to use it for events
Thanks. Yeah, I'd mostly use the Q for tripod shots of the moon and, of course, squirrels.

The only downside of the 60-250 is that it looks like it might not be acceptable for full frame, but maybe I'm limiting myself too much if I'm looking for something that is only FF capable.

01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5

Tokina 80-200 2.8. No WR but it's around $600, supports FF, and is quite good.
01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

I have the DA*200 and it works great, even wide open the edges are great and it is weather sealed as a bonus. I have the DA55-300 as well. It is light and gives decent results but is not in the same league as the 200 prime. At 950 grams, it is reasonable with a great hood.
01-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 60-250 which I use alongside my excellent sigma 500 prime. I think I am very fussy with the sharpness of my lenses and I am very happy with the 60-250. I also like its colour qualities. I use m9ine mostly for wildlife work and my 50-135 for events, weddings etc because it is less obtrusive. The 60-250 on the the K5 is really flexible. it's WR and a really solid piece of work. Mine gets a lot of heavy work and I find mine preforms really well. I would think a zoom would be more useful than 200 or 300.

01-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Da* 200

Hi,

i recommend the DA*200.

A great lens and a big advantage for the Pentax system. You dont get something like this lens with Canicon. They don not sell stabilized 200 2.8 primes, as far as I konw, nor weather sealed.

Great lens, superb sized, very well balanced for handheld work wit K5, stabilizer is very helpful there. I did incredible shots handheld with this lens against all goden rules of recommended shutter speed. An I did a shooting yesterday in snowfall, great you can leave it in the tripod without protection.
good iq even wide open, so you have in reality built in a good digital zoom as you have cropping options and get longer, eg 400 mm shots 2.8. or more in good quality with the k5 sensor...
i also had a 2.8/200 canon fd in film times with my F1, and never missed the 70mm zoom option with this lens too.
shooting 70 mm with a 2.8/70-200 is nearly insane, as you use a 1.5 kg heavy and very long 70 mm lens, quite inconvenient...
I think when shooting it makes a big differnece betwenn 900 g and shorter lens or nearly 1500g and longer...