Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 50 f1.8 Good Review

Popular Photography gave the lens a very good review. The only things they didn't like was the noise the lens made when focusing and the Plastic Mount. Other wise it beats the compitition except for the Tamron 60 f2.0 has a better Barrel Distortion stats (0.04% to The 50's 0.06%).
I think they had to find something wrong,

01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Popular Photography gave the lens a very good review. The only things they didn't like was the noise the lens made when focusing and the Plastic Mount. Other wise it beats the compitition except for the Tamron 60 f2.0 has a better Barrel Distortion stats (0.04% to The 50's 0.06%).
I think they had to find something wrong,
For $250 it should have a metal mount IMO (Nikon's $110 50mm does). Apart from that, great lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes the noise is initially annoying but you get used to that very quickly. It is a great lens for the value and then some. Just read the Pop photo review wouldn't disagree with that a bit. I have to also say that until I got this lens I couldn't like 50mm on an APS-c camera.
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It was certainly a favorable review. I can live with them dinging the lens for a plastic mount and the noise while focusing, neither of which bother me one bit. However, I was a bit perplexed when the review complained about how hard it was to use the quick-shift feature when manually focusing the lens, even when tried on multiple camera bodies. Guess the reviewer didn't realize this lens doesn't have quick-shift...