Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M42 Adapter question or non-permanent solution for Fujinon 55mm f1.8

Over the weekend, I picked up a Fujinon 55mm, f1.8 lens ($7 at my local thrift store) with M42 mount that looks to be in very good condition. My question is whether Pentax (or anyone else reliable) makes an adapter for K-mount that will hold in the aperture pin. I have seen some sites that talk about modifying the lens to hold the pin in, but for a couple of reasons, I am leery of doing so. This is my first M42 lens and looking forward to trying it out. Any other possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.s. I also got a FA28-200 lens attached to a Pentax film camera (MZ-5 or MZ-50, i think), with lens hood, but no caps, for $20. Help...i am in the grips of LBA and cant stop....lol.

01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kipon made/makes a M42-PK adapter with an inner flange to hold the pin in. Works great for Carl Zeiss Jena lenses.

Here's one on eBay (just what I found quick - the price is twice what I've paid):
New Kipon Adapter for Carl Zeiss M42 Mount Lens to Pentax K PK Camera | eBay
01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Kipon made/makes a M42-PK adapter with an inner flange to hold the pin in. Works great for Carl Zeiss Jena lenses.

Here's one on eBay (just what I found quick - the price is twice what I've paid):
New Kipon Adapter for Carl Zeiss M42 Mount Lens to Pentax K PK Camera | eBay
Wow prices for those Kipon have really went up! I also bought mine for about $20 a couple years ago. It can confirm it works very well for m42 lenses that don't have the M/A switch.
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Over the weekend, I picked up a Fujinon 55mm, f1.8 lens ($7 at my local thrift store) with M42 mount that looks to be in very good condition. My question is whether Pentax (or anyone else reliable) makes an adapter for K-mount that will hold in the aperture pin. I have seen some sites that talk about modifying the lens to hold the pin in, but for a couple of reasons, I am leery of doing so. This is my first M42 lens and looking forward to trying it out. Any other possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.s. I also got a FA28-200 lens attached to a Pentax film camera (MZ-5 or MZ-50, i think), with lens hood, but no caps, for $20. Help...i am in the grips of LBA and cant stop....lol.
The Fujinon lenses have a little petruding metal piece at the mount level so you still have to file it up anyway. I would not hesitate to super glue the pin unless you want to spend $40 for that Kipon adapter.

I super glued both my 50/1.4 and 55/1.8 Fujinon lenses.

01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I am not sure about the protruding metal piece that ducdao mentioned, the lens photos from fleabay looks pretty clean to me. Like the Yashinon DS-M, the Fujinon EBC m42-mount lenses are general very good and demand high prices. It is probably worth to alter the pin-release mechanism to make it work in full-time M mode. I did that by removing the top and bottom lens elements and then insert a spacer (I use a small plastic sleeve stripped from 12-gauge wire) between the pin and spring lever. That is only if you are handy and willing to take it apart. The procedure is reversible, as you can remove the spacer any time. If you are not handy, then the Kipon adapter would be great option as well; another thing to watch is to make sure that the pin can be pushed all the way down by the Kipon adapter.
Enjoy your great bargain find!!

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.
01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not sure about the protruding metal piece that ducdao mentioned, the lens photos from fleabay looks pretty clean to me. Like the Yashinon DS-M, the Fujinon EBC m42-mount lenses are general very good and demand high prices. It is probably worth to alter the pin-release mechanism to make it work in full-time M mode. I did that by removing the top and bottom lens elements and then insert a spacer (I use a small plastic sleeve stripped from 12-gauge wire) between the pin and spring lever. That is only if you are handy and willing to take it apart. The procedure is reversible, as you can remove the spacer any time. If you are not handy, then the Kipon adapter would be great option as well; another thing to watch is to make sure that the pin can be pushed all the way down by the Kipon adapter.
Enjoy your great bargain find!!
See my 2 year-old post here
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
I am not sure what i am missing here...There is no protrusion on my lens...just the thread rings and then on the back of the mount is the pin. There is a small ring that sticks out around the lens, but i am not sure i could remove that without damaging the lens...
01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am not sure what i am missing here...There is no protrusion on my lens...just the thread rings and then on the back of the mount is the pin. There is a small ring that sticks out around the lens, but i am not sure i could remove that without damaging the lens...
Can you post the picture showing the mount of the lens?

01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Here it is. Thank you!
Attached Images

01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The protrusion is on the aperture ring -- just a few millimeters where it sticks out. I think most of the EBC's have it, but maybe not all. You will have to file it down if it is there. As far as gluing the pin down, I've done it on lots of lenses and it is quite easy. I have even resold them with the pin glued down. I don't think it really affects the value since that is what most people are going to do anyway -- not too many actually looking to use them on their old film cameras. Some lenses you can take apart the mount and put a little sleeve on the pin that is easier to reverse -- don't know about the Fujinons. The super-glue can be dissolved with acetone if need be.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-15-2013 at 03:19 AM.
01-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The version of the Fujinon lens does not have a protrusion. I believe only the EBC version will have them. It seems like the lens you have is the same as the one I have. As for the aperture pin, my solution for the problem is to open the lens up and place a holder to force the pin down. The lens can easily be opened up from the bottom.

If you look at this post it should give you all the information you need for the modification.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/172857-...ic-manual.html
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for clearing that up...i thought i was really going blind...lol. I will update when i get the adapter. One other question...will the Kipon adapter mentioned above work for all M42 mount lenses, or will the flange interfere with the mounting of some lenses? thanks.
01-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Thank you for clearing that up...i thought i was really going blind...lol. I will update when i get the adapter. One other question...will the Kipon adapter mentioned above work for all M42 mount lenses, or will the flange interfere with the mounting of some lenses? thanks.
I can imagine that it might not work very well with an SMC/S-M-C Takumar or any other lens that has a protrusion or "boss" on the rear face. Much depends on how much stand-off is supported by the rear flange. There is also some risk of mirror interference on 35mm film cameras.

Steve

(...still might get one of these for myself...have heard that the Kipon quality is pretty good...)
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I know the Genuine m42 adapter has worked really well with all my M42 lenses but I can not respond to 3rd party ones. As for mounting, I know Fujinon lenses that are ebc have a protrusion on it and it does cause issues with mounting with the genuine adapter unless you sand off the tab. As for SMC Takumars I never had any problems with the regular adapter. I would just be careful when mounting and if you see an issue then use caution.

Any m42 should work fine. The only ones that you need to worry about is the ones that are unique in terms of brands trying to implement their own metering technique.
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Any m42 should work fine. The only ones that you need to worry about is the ones that are unique in terms of brands trying to implement their own metering technique.
Watch out for mamiya/sekor m42s, many of which the entire aperture ring is overhanging. You can file it down like the Fujinons, just a lot more filing...