Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dead on Arrival SDM - DA* 200 from Adorama

I just bought a DA* 200mm f/2.8 from Adorama.
It arrived D.O.A. with non-functioning SDM.
This is my second lens issue this week - the first being the Overstock fiasco!!!

Anyway, I think Adorama dropped the ball here because this is the picture of the box my "Brand New Lens" came in.

This is the lens Serial #

I have NEVER gotten anything NEW in such poor shape. The lens was obviously opened, as the packing was "off".

I can't believe Adorama let this one out of the warehouse!!!

Tomorrow morning it's on it's way back!!!

Not a good week for lens purchases for me!!!

01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shame on Adorama. If you haven't already, contact their support. They should cover the return shipping cost, as well the cost of shipping you a brand new item.
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow. I have to think thrice about adorama
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're not the only one having problems with Adorama as of late. My brother in law bought a used Tokina 16-50 f2.8 for his Nikon after seeing pictures of my DA* 16-50 in action and wanted it. He bought one from Adorama used through Amazon and conditioned as good. When the lens arrived, the box looked new and the packaging was clean. However the top part of the lens holding the front element was really wiggly and loose. When you set the distance scale to it's minimum and try focusing in and out, the back of the front elements' element would hit the front element and you could hear the glass clonking, not good at all. However we sent a email to Adorama asking to return and if they'd pay the fee and they did.

01-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow - that's a crying shame!

I have faith that Adorama will make this right from my own experiences, but it sure would upset me a lot to spend that kind of money and receive something like that. Looks like the box has quite a few miles on it.

Edit - just looked and the lens shows out of stock - looks like you got the last one that was on the back of the shelf. You would think the person packing your order would catch something like that.
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That box looks worse than my girlfriend's 40D box, and that thing fell down the stairs...(Camera not inside, she just dropped it)
01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep. Tomorrow I will be ordering one from B&H - my normal internet vendor!

01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. Tomorrow I will be ordering one from B&H - my normal internet vendor!
Buy a rear lens cap if you ever buy from BH used. They send you the worst caps imaginable.(No tension, it'll just fall off)
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wow i will definitely stay away from them..been extremely happy with B&H..i will stick with them
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

All of the retailers have their pimples and warts. I've had some bad experiences with all of them, including the alternatives named in this thread.

Luckily, my latest purchases from both Adorama and B&H have been good. In fact, my latest experience with Adorama was really excellent, including fantastic customer service.
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That's really too bad. They shouldn't have sent you this lens. I'm not sticking up for what they did this time, but I will stick up for Adorama in general. I've been a loyal customer of theirs for almost ten years and have received flawless customer service and never had a problem with them. I've ordered a few things from B&H and haven't had any problems there either though. I'd recommend either and with my experience at Adorama they'll take care of this problem quickly and make sure you're a happy customer.
01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I already crossed out Adorama 2 months ago when they and UPS screwed up my K-01 purchase. Never again at Adorama.

But thanks to that mess I was able to get a better deal at Amazon ($316 for the Yellow K-01+XS40 lens).
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds like the Da*300/4 I got at first from Amazon.co.uk after their crazy sale of the lens. At first I had to wait a long time to get because it was backordered and when finally got it the box was ugly, things looked badly repacked and the lens was dusty, dirty around the front element and had a scratch on the rear one! I received a replacement and got my money back for the shipping.

Does it sound similar? I wonder if there is some kind of b-stock place around that they order from.
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helen from Adorama posts in the vendor section she is very attentive and will make sure all is right.
Give her a shout if you have any problems with your return.
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Banned

Was the package damaged? I wouldn't hurry to put the blame on Adorama.

I have purchased from many sellers and have had issues happening that made me wonder what people do to packages during shipping. Sometimes, a package will look fine from outside - no corners bent, but when you look inside, you can see that it was dropped and the content left an imprint inside. With improper padding, a product box that rattles inside the package will reach you all worn out. Here's an experience I had when I attempted to buy the DA* 300 - in retrospect, it was all for the best. I put some blame on Pentax too - they could do a better job packaging these expensive lenses.

Contact Adorama, describe the situation and send them the pictures you've taken.
Closed Thread