Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I just bought a DA* 200mm f/2.8 from Adorama.
It arrived D.O.A. with non-functioning SDM.

I have NEVER gotten anything NEW in such poor shape. The lens was obviously opened, as the packing was "off".

I can't believe Adorama let this one out of the warehouse!!!

Tomorrow morning it's on it's way back!!!

Not a good week for lens purchases for me!!!

I'm REALLY sorry; but please don't blame the entire workforce for one employee messing up.

I can't identify your order without an order number, but I can promise you that as soon as I have this, we will send you a pre-paid label to return this model, and refund / replace as you choose.

(and we will ensure that we identify the person who let this go out and implement internal procedures as necessary to ensure that a mess-up like this cannot be repeated)

Once again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you and to making this right: Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

01-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Shame on Adorama. If you haven't already, contact their support. They should cover the return shipping cost, as well the cost of shipping you a brand new item.
As per my response to the OP - of course we will cover return shipping costs - we ALWAYS cover return shipping costs if an item is received damaged.
01-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You're not the only one having problems with Adorama as of late. My brother in law bought a used Tokina 16-50 f2.8 for his Nikon after seeing pictures of my DA* 16-50 in action and wanted it. He bought one from Adorama used through Amazon and conditioned as good. When the lens arrived, the box looked new and the packaging was clean. However the top part of the lens holding the front element was really wiggly and loose. When you set the distance scale to it's minimum and try focusing in and out, the back of the front elements' element would hit the front element and you could hear the glass clonking, not good at all. However we sent a email to Adorama asking to return and if they'd pay the fee and they did.
I was sorry to read this, however, if your brother-in-law purchased a unit rated as 'G' then it was not a top-of-the-pile piece.

As it states on our website:

G - Barrel appears to have been used heavily, showing multiple dings, scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing. Lens glass may have fungus, excessive dust, and/or scratches that can affect picture quality.
01-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I already crossed out Adorama 2 months ago when they and UPS screwed up my K-01 purchase.....
Yes, I remember. UPS lost your package; and as I believe I explained at the time, we use a wide range of carriers, FedEx, UPS, USPS, MessengerForYou, Manna, Mail Innovations and more, and if any customer prefers to select one of them it only takes a call to us.

I'm saddened that you still hold Adorama responsible for losing the package, when we actually put a great deal of time into chasing UPS, however, due to the huge increase in widespread fraud and attempted fraud, the 'Trace' process has to run its course.

01-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
All of the retailers have their pimples and warts.
And that doesn't make it any more acceptable, when people defend shoddy work practices and ethics as the norm, rather than the exception.

I love these sorts of excuses.
01-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
And that doesn't make it any more acceptable, when people defend shoddy work practices and ethics as the norm, rather than the exception.
I agree with you 100% - and when we find out who sent out this order in such a disgraceful state we will deal with the matter in a way that is appropriate considering the disappointment this has caused to a customer, and the damage that one thoughtless act has caused to the reputation of our business - as well as to all the other hard-working and conscientious people who work at Adorama.
01-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #22

Hearing about this has made me think twice about buying from adorama being an overseas customer, would be a pain arranging for return shipping from Australia and wonder if they would be as forthcoming in covering the return shipping costs at international rates...

01-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
Hearing about this has made me think twice about buying from adorama being an overseas customer, would be a pain arranging for return shipping from Australia and wonder if they would be as forthcoming in covering the return shipping costs at international rates...
Yes, we would. Of course. If it is our fault there is no question!
01-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Yes, we would. Of course. If it is our fault there is no question!
Happy to hear this, as adorama has to date a good reputation from Aussie customers, so hope this is just a one off and not the norm nowadays.
01-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I'm REALLY sorry; but please don't blame the entire workforce for one employee messing up.

I can't identify your order without an order number, but I can promise you that as soon as I have this, we will send you a pre-paid label to return this model, and refund / replace as you choose.

(and we will ensure that we identify the person who let this go out and implement internal procedures as necessary to ensure that a mess-up like this cannot be repeated)

Once again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you and to making this right: Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Thanks Helen!

The Lens is on it's way back as I called within 5 minutes of opening the box and testing it out.

It was D.O.A and never "stopped" working as it never focused!!!!!

Sophie C. was my customer service rep. Her english wasn't that great, and she was reading off a script, but I suppose that is to be expected. I got my return within 5 minutes of calling. Regardless, B&H customer service, when I talk to them, is always so much better. They have a better casual and professional manner when they deal with me. Sophie was - average, not very personable, but competent and got the job done.

I'd give you my order number, but this is a public forum and Adorama doesn't have a section like "Ask B&H" does on this forum. I would have PM'd you directly, but your PM is not on your profile.

I've used Adorama before and will continue to do so in the future, but B&H is so much better in all aspects of the purchasing chain.

I really feel that B&H is part of my Pentax ownership as they would never send a new box out like that. Adorama has shown a disrespect for Pentax, when an expensive lens - a DA*200 f/2.8 no less - is abused so much before it is sent to a customer. The DA*200 is a jewel in Pentax land, and deserves someone who is packing this lens, to understand and care.

Pentax lenses if sold used, command a higher premium if the box they came in, is included with the sale. The box you sent, would make me look like a liar if I told ANYONE the lens was bought new.

I suppose I am grateful the lens was D.O.A. since I would have lost money somewhere down the road in the future based on the box condition!

The lens is going back in the same box it came in, and you will notice how little of the bubble cushioning was used to send it to me. I would not be surprised if the lens box takes a further beating on the way back to you. What goes around-comes around.

Like I said, I will continue to use Adorama in the future, but they are now far far from my first choice. Adorama has definitely fallen quite a few rungs down the ladder over this.
01-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #26

Thanks Helen!

I'd give you my order number, but this is a public forum and Adorama doesn't have a section like "Ask B&H" does on this forum. I would have PM'd you directly, but your PM is not on your profile.
My direct email is in my sig and I included it in my posting to you! I do need you to email me your order number: Helen@adorama.com so I can follow up with the Distribution Center Manager. If it is a training deficiency with a single individual, we can't address it without us knowing who was responsible - and Sophie would not be a part of this process. So please do email me directly.

I've used Adorama before and will continue to do so in the future.......B&H .......would never send a new box out like that. Adorama has shown a disrespect for Pentax,
As I have attempted to emphasize, this is the result of a single employee failing to carry out the job we expect of him. This is NOT the standard of packaging that is normal or acceptable.

I suppose I am grateful the lens was D.O.A. since I would have lost money somewhere down the road in the future based on the box condition!
We would have taken the item back on the basis that the box was so badly messed-up even if the lens had been perfect.
01-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Lately I've been finding B&H's packaging to be minimal at best. A couple of lenses purchased within the last year contained lens boxes that were partially crushed in one of the corners. Both lenses operated as expected so I didn't return them.

I'm not a fan of the air pillows vendors are using these days. I think good ole styrofoam is best with the item positioned in the center of the box.
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At another vender i was actually shipped a camera that had been returned for warranty, somehow sent to me instead of Pentax, when I gave the guy on the phone the serial number and he looked it up in their system, he almost went into shock. These things happen I guess. They gave me a $100 credit on the purchase of a tripod.
01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the first time Adorama have done that.... my son ordered me a SEKONIC flashmate last year. It came in a condition slightly better but the battery is already in the unit. I don't buy from Adorama anymore since I live in Canada, on top that, I had to pay the outrageous charge of brokerage fee (since they only use UPS). It is the price to pay when companies have such an easy return policy; people just take advantage of try-and-return with no concern of customers who want to purchase-and-own. So, chance of getting something like that is far too common for mail orders.
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #30

New Canadian shipping option from Adorama

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
......I don't buy from Adorama anymore since I live in Canada, on top that, I had to pay the outrageous charge of brokerage fee (since they only use UPS).
Actually, that is no longer true: with our BRAND NEW shipping option, which is not only much cheaper, but the customer pays all taxes’ & duties up front rather than at the front door!

Our partner in this exciting new venture is Bilsi, who have agreed to send a truck to us every day to collect all the orders destined for Canada.
These orders will then be forwarded on to Canada.

The estimated arrival time for this is overnight to Toronto then add one day to most of Ontario and Quebec, two days for the Maritimes and Manitoba; three days for Saskatchewan and Alberta and four days to BC.

According to photoprice.ca :

photoprice.ca: Adorama Now Ships Tax & Duty Included to Canada

This is really exciting for Canadian consumers because not only is tax & duty included with the shipping, but it is less expensive than the options available from other US stores, and Much cheaper than the previous UPS Expedited option.

A quick check shows that shipping costs are, on average, 50% less! Most items ship for less than $20, which is competitive with Canadian retail store shipping.

• Adorama Calculates the Tax & Duty & Brokerage, and charges you at time of sale. That means the final price you pay to Adorama is the final price to you. No more surprises, and no worrying about the tax bill from your courier when your shipment arrives.

Don't forget that many photographic items are covered by US/Canada or Worldwide Manufacturer Warranties, so many items you purchase from the US often come with warranty coverage in Canada.

[This is the phoprice.ca article on warranties for Canadian consumers:

]photoprice.ca: PhotoPrice.ca Articles

If you are new to buying from the US, you can also read the photoprice.ca article about Tax, Duty, and Brokerage Fees when buying from the US.

photoprice.ca: Cross-Border Tax, Duty, and Brokerage Fees Demystified

What is included in the final Adorama price? ALL taxes, duties, and brokerage fees are included in the final number when you select "Canada Shipping".

• Tax: Your local sales tax (GST + PST, or HST depending on province). If you are not in an HST province, only GST is charged (no PST). No taxes are due at delivery.

• Duty: Most camera equipment is duty free. If what you are buying is not, duties are included as well.

• Brokerage Fees: There are NO extra brokerage fees. Everything is already included in the shipping fee!

Go check out Adorama Camera for yourself, today Photography, Digital Cameras, Lenses, Electronics - 8PM Shipping - Adorama Camera and find out how the new Tax & Duty-Included Ground shipping is going to keep dollars in YOUR pocket!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com.

[Thank you to photoprice.ca for saying it all so concisely and clearly!]

Helen Oster
Closed Thread