What sort of cash is this going to be ?

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk 2
Here is a link to the B&H pre-order page:

Pentax DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW Lens 22180 B&H Photo Video

01-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to test that as soon as it arrives by us, which will hopefully be by the end of the month. While I have my doubts, a $7000 DX lens simply doesn't make sense...so it's gotta support the FF image circle IMO.
Agree 100%++++

A lens like that is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase at that price.
There is no way I could ever justify that price if it was only for crop sensors!!!

I've been ramping up and saving my pennies over this lens, but time will tell.

Besides, Clinton can't be the only PF member here with crazy glass!!!

01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #18

I've been eyeballing it, but at that money, the F*600/4 would be a much better buy. Not so good for travel, but IMHO a much better use of $7k. FA*250-600 would also be my preferred use of $7k. I know both of those are damn near impossible to find, but if I was going to spend $7k on telephoto glass, I'd go find the used ones first. Plus, the FA*'s look much more badass than that thing...
01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the A*400/2.8 is a significant improvement over the A400/5.6, (and it has to be easier focussing, for a start) then I'd be looking for one, too. My A400/5.6 with an A-FA 1.7x is quite useable in good light on the K-5, so I can only guess how good the A* lens must be. They're a bit like the wide-mouth frog around here, though. However, since buying the DA*50-135 four months ago, my LBA's taken a tumble, so...

On the other hand, the PF Lens Rental idea isn't a bad one! I'd happily rent a DA560 for the weekend, even with postage to and from Oz, if I really needed it, rather than buy. Think I'll reserve judgment and wait for the review.

01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
I've been eyeballing it, but at that money, the F*600/4 would be a much better buy. Not so good for travel, but IMHO a much better use of $7k. FA*250-600 would also be my preferred use of $7k. I know both of those are damn near impossible to find, but if I was going to spend $7k on telephoto glass, I'd go find the used ones first. Plus, the FA*'s look much more badass than that thing...

Both these lenses would have costed more than $7000 if new or available today; try 10 000. $7000 is not much for a 560/5.6 ED IF lens from a camera manufacturer. About where it should be pricewise.
Remember also that the 600/4 weights more than twice as much as the 560 and really need to be stopped down to F:5.6 to really perform.
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #21

oh I'm aware they'd be much more expensive new, but since the average price of both of those lenses tends to be below the $7k mark, if I had it, I would certainly go try to find one of those. The concept behind the 560 is great, just not for me.
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
FYI the Japanese launch date for this lens has been pushed back to 2/2, which means that in the US we probably won't see it until the middle of the month.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

FYI the Japanese launch date for this lens has been pushed back to 2/2, which means that in the US we probably won't see it until the middle of the month.
Once they have had it in Japan for a couple weeks, they'll ship it to the US. You suppose they'll make more than 10 of these? Or maybe make a hundred then shut down the line. Surely they can't be planning to sell more than one a month.

02-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once they have had it in Japan for a couple weeks, they'll ship it to the US. You suppose they'll make more than 10 of these? Or maybe make a hundred then shut down the line. Surely they can't be planning to sell more than one a month.
Well I guess that things turned out a bit different! I presume that they simply held off on the launch and pushed it out on the 2nd worldwide. The 560mm became available at BH last Monday if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a nice lens so far, but I also have my doubts as to the target audience. I mean if someone is that serious about birding, they'll probably be shooting with a D300s and not a Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I guess that things turned out a bit different! I presume that they simply held off on the launch and pushed it out on the 2nd worldwide. The 560mm became available at BH last Monday if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a nice lens so far, but I also have my doubts as to the target audience. I mean if someone is that serious about birding, they'll probably be shooting with a D300s and not a Pentax.
What if Pentax comes out with a camera that can do birding with fantastic focusing features? How will that 560mm stack up then?