Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
560mm lens ETA

Has anyone actually pre-ordered one of these? I got word that it will start shipping before the end of the month. While I personally still don't see who Pentax expects to sell this lens to (it's currently their most costly lens), an in-depth review of it will be posted once we receive it for those who are curious! Given it's simple optical design, I would expect it to be very sharp, but it will be interesting to see how well it handles fringing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I thought it would be me, but, I'm now looking for an M or A 400.5.6. Really, if you're going to carry that kind of weight, the A* 400 2.8 looks like an awesome lens, at less than half the price. I'm not sure what they are thinking, but it's not what I'm thinking.
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

they show on henry's and downtown camera sites as for sale but special order not in stock.

I have a hard time even considering spending that type of money if you can't even look at the lens.
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

I would certainly like to have that lens but at that price i want to see how it performs before even thinking of asking my wife if i can buy one

01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leopold Quote
I would certainly like to have that lens but at that price i want to see how it performs before even thinking of asking my wife if i can buy one
If my wife even finds out I've been part of this conversation I am so friggin dead.
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One expensive spotting scope, with aperture control and auto focus.
Edit: can`t wait to see what the next long, (real) lens will be like.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This lens is going to have to be an unbelievable performer optically for them to sell even a small amount at that price. I don't know why anyone would want to handle anything that long. It made a LITTLE more sense back when rumours had it being able to be stored and transported in two pieces.

01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My sister-in-law is a birder. And crazy.

Just crazy enough to carry this thing around in the woods mounted to a tripod over her shoulder.

But apparently not crazy enough to actually order one.
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe it will be possible to rent it? We need to press pntrs.com/t/TUJGRktHSkJHRkpISUVCRkpOSkVN?url=lensrentals.com to get it (maybe they will want to disassemble it) .

A.
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given it's simple optical design, I expected it to be cheaper. I also wonder of its performance at short focusing distance, ie typical usage for birding, 6 to 10 meters.
The min focusing distance of a FA*600 is shorter, indeed, 5 m instead of 5.6 meters, this may be an indication of a poor performance at short distances ?
01-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Has anyone confirmed that it's FF capable?
01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Maybe it will be possible to rent it? We need to press lensrentals.com to get it (maybe they will want to disassemble it) . A.
Maybe we should create PFrentals for all of the Pentax users we have!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Has anyone confirmed that it's FF capable?
I'm going to test that as soon as it arrives by us, which will hopefully be by the end of the month. While I have my doubts, a $7000 DX lens simply doesn't make sense...so it's gotta support the FF image circle IMO.

Adam

01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to test that as soon as it arrives by us, which will hopefully be by the end of the month. While I have my doubts, a $7000 DX lens simply doesn't make sense...so it's gotta support the FF image circle IMO.
+1...Not being FF doesn't make sense. Quite frankly the company becomes questionable if it can't offer a modern, modest, telephoto. I am hopeful though as it could be a very good lens given all of their experience in this area.
01-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What sort of cash is this going to be ?