Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Personally, I just don't get all these out of focus flower shots posted here and elsewhere as examples of why the 50mm f1.2s are so great.

And sharp f1.2 lens photos of buildings? Why? What's the point? Let alone Pentax Limiteds, low cost new Sigmas and Tamrons can do that just as well, perhaps better, especially on manual settings at around f8. Even zooms.

Digital cameras are better at handling low light anyway, so 1.2 is less important for the walk around lens (where I find ultra fast lenses plus a good sensor can be great for museums etc).
I look on the f1.2 as a specialized tool in my toolbox.... It won't be the lens I leave on my camera for everyday shooting (the 40mm limited and 70mm limited's get those bragging rights) But as the previous poster mentioned, there are shots where you purposefully don't want to draw any attention to the background - and the shallow DOF is great for that. I think it will also be great for some specific low-light situations (my K20D isn't as sensitive as the K5 that I hope to upgrade to), and for some "artsy" shots - which will in all reality probably not be taken by me but by my much more artistic daughter... who is sharing my gear right now. She's already wow'ed us with some great shots we've been able to use in our marketing materials.
It might be my engineering background, but I like having the right tools for the job, and this is just one such tool (I also recently acquired a Takumar 500m F4.5 tele - which is a very different tool used for very different types of shots - can't wait to take my first lunar shot - waiting on a clear night with a full moon)

04-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100% agree - who won't want a f1.2, and there are three very good reasons to invest in an early Pentax f1.2 IMHO

1. To use almost exclusively at 1.2 with all the fun and frustrations that involves
2. Because it has historical value/interest to collectors
3. It would (will?) be great in FF

But for people reading this and thinking only a f1.2 can produce very narrow DOF and smooth bokeh, a longer and less expensive focal length can do this and other jobs very well, as Ikarus' lovely photo demonstrates, and my own flower image below, attempts to show - taken by the K50's longer sibling the K85 f1.8 at f1.8.

EDIT Oophs. Huge apologies to MHolford and all others posting flower photos for 1.2s. I can now see what's happening, having uploaded an image. On the photo below, part of the daffs at the centre of the photo are 100% in focus on the original, large file, and this (in IMO) gives the image a good 3D character. But on the compressed/smaller size upload here, that level of focus detail is lost, indeed they don't look in sharp focus - a detail that is essential to seeing the 1.2's (and ther longer 1.8s) performance and attractions. I've posted a more appropriate close focus image in my album and a review of the K85mm.

Last edited by utak; 11-27-2013 at 02:31 PM.