Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
A neglected advantage of a ƒ1:1.2 lens is it's sharpness at stopped down apertures that are wide open for other lenses. A ƒ1:1.2 lens stopped down to 1.4 will be noticably sharper then a ƒ1:1.4 lens wide open.
yes, that is a point that is frequently neglected by people who think 50mm f/1.2~f/0.95 lenses are merely for bragging rights.

04-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't seem to find any information on that. I'm interested in it because it may mean they still will do limited runs from time to time.
FWIW, it's still listed here:

Interchangeable Lenses (for 35mm SLR Cameras) : Film Cameras | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About the sharpness of the 1.2 wide open... it seems fairly sharp but suffers from lack of contrast. A good hood should improce this point, the default hood - when available - is suited for FF camera, not for APS-C camera. Use of a metal B&W lens hood already improves contrast. I have ordered an heliopan lens hood and I'll make more tests.
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
Pentaxian

A neglected advantage of a ƒ1:1.2 lens is it's sharpness at stopped down apertures that are wide open for other lenses. A ƒ1:1.2 lens stopped down to 1.4 will be noticably sharper then a ƒ1:1.4 lens wide open.
If only they'd see fit to put a click-stop between 1.2 and 2 -- you've got to balance it between stops on most 1.2s...

04-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If only they'd see fit to put a click-stop between 1.2 and 2 -- you've got to balance it between stops on most 1.2s...
I drilled an extra one in my Revuenon... Pretty easy to do. It was open anyway since I was removing the aperture lever to be able to shoot in AV mode without having to use the green button. Oh, and to be able to use it on my 5D.

I'm a photography barbarian, aren't I? It al works like a charm though.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-05-2013 at 05:08 AM.
04-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Mine has a click between 1.2 and 2.0 you mean some copies just goes 1.2-2.0 w/o a click? I didnt know that.
04-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SDAfoto Quote
Mine has a click between 1.2 and 2.0 you mean some copies just goes 1.2-2.0
no, none of the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 lenses do that, there is always a f/1.2-f/1.4-f/2 progression.

04-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no, none of the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 lenses do that, there is always a f/1.2-f/1.4-f/2 progression.
Thanks for the info
04-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
there is always a f/1.2-f/1.4-f/2 progression
+1, mine clicks in between just beautifully and the rest of the lens is just beautiful.
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SDAfoto Quote
Mine has a click between 1.2 and 2.0 you mean some copies just goes 1.2-2.0 w/o a click? I didnt know that.
The Cosina and Revuenon are like that. It looks like a straightforward modification to add a click, but the aperture ring stays there OK by itself.
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Aside from all the technical reasons for getting a 50/1.2 lens let's remember we are talking about LBA here. The 50/1.2 comes with massive bragging rights.

Tom G
But very nicely built with a beautiful solid feel. It also very sharp at F:8. But expect to be more prone to flare than the best Pentax lenses...
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
very nicely built with a beautiful solid feel. It also very sharp at F:8. But expect to be more prone to flare than the best Pentax lenses...
Compared to many of the other 50mm lenses I own with an aperture of f/1.2 and faster the pentax lens is more resistant to flare than you think, especially when compared to voigtlander lenses. If you use an appropriate lens hood flare isn't an issue, however I will admit to rarely using a lens hood with mine - when you have been using a lens for over 13 years you really get to know it.

Yes, the 50mm f/1.2 is extraordinarily sharp:

Pentax K5IIs- SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 - f/5.6 1/20th @ISO 80
04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #43

Original Poster
here are some sample shots from my new 55mm 1.2

So I took my Revuenon 55mm 1.2 out for some testing over the weekend - took some nice shots of the flowers in our gardens. As everyone predicted it is quite a challenge to focus correctly - but some amazing results when you get it right.
I've attached photos of a daffodil and plum trees in flower - love the oof bokeh from this little wonder.

Attached Images

04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Personally, I just don't get all these out of focus flower shots posted here and elsewhere as examples of why the 50mm f1.2s are so great.

And sharp f1.2 lens photos of buildings? Why? What's the point? Let alone Pentax Limiteds, low cost new Sigmas and Tamrons can do that just as well, perhaps better, especially on manual settings at around f8. Even zooms.

Digital cameras are better at handling low light anyway, so 1.2 is less important for the walk around lens (where I find ultra fast lenses plus a good sensor can be great for museums etc).

As for bragging rights, believe me, I've tried it. Firstly people confuse with f2 versus f1.2. Those that know often have something better (like someone always lives in a bigger house). For example, a friend who has a great collection of Nikon and Hasselblad classics. He got out his Nikkor f1.2 and I had to admit that leaving aside optical performance, it had more interesting dials and bits and engraved colors than the Pentax 1.2. (Have a look at one on ebay). BUT, he was very interested and impressed in my Super-Takumar 35mm, as he thought that was a real cutie and agreed (under duress) that it produces great contrast/colors.

As a minor collector of these types of lenses my bubble was finally completely burst when I showed what I thought was a very artistic flower photo (yes, I do that too, despite what I wrote above) taken by a Helios, to an Art Professor. His response was: "Its such a shame, because all my students would have thought you'd produced these effects in PS, and it had nothing to do with a lens."

Edit: I forget to say that the viewfinder view from my friend's Nikkor 1.2 and FF camera was fantastic.....

Last edited by utak; 04-09-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Alone not along, plus edit point
04-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Personally, I just don't get all these out of focus flower shots posted here and elsewhere as examples of why the 50mm f1.2s are so great.
It's hard to argue with taste, but occasionally I find value in a shallow DOF, in order to minimize distractions from the essence of the image. The below is not from a 50/1.2 but from a Rokinon 85/1.4 at f/2, but it illustrates the point, I believe.

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
As a minor collector of these types of lenses my bubble was finally completely burst when I showed what I thought was a very artistic flower photo (yes, I do that too, despite what I wrote above) taken by a Helios, to an Art Professor. His response was: "Its such a shame, because all my students would have thought you'd produced these effects in PS, and it had nothing to do with a lens."
I would assume the professor was able to tell the difference, so why did you let some freshmen's lack of a trained eye burst your bubble?