Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

SMC-A 50mm F1.7 - repair help needed

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I bought cheap (25 euro) a SMC-A 50mm F1.7, but there is a problem, 2 spheres are missing.
The major problem is that little sphere that makes the A contact is missing, so it doesn't work in A mode.
Another one is the sphere that makes the clicks in the aperture ring is also missing, but that one is more or less irrelevant. Otherwise the lens in in good shape, the glass is very clean and the aperture blades are snappy.
I wonder if any of the nice folks here in forum as some advice to fix this problems.
Does anyone know some sphere of the same diameter as the missing that could be used, or some other workaround to fix the A contact?
Thanks in advance.

01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In the A lenses, the 'A' contact is not a ball, it's a rounded pin.
Looks like somebody opened the lens, and did not put all back in.
Find a donor lens, maybe the overabundant takumar-a or pentax-a 28-80 has some suitable parts.
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also look for a cheap SMC-A 50mm F2 they are on ebay all the time .
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=SMC+PENTAX-A+50mm+F2&_sop=15
01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I searched a little longer and found right here in the forum what is the piece that I need.
It's not as easy as I thought. The best solution, as you suggested is probably getting a cheaper A lens like the 28-80 to get the contact pin.