Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fisheyes make you seasick?

OK, I'll admit that I'm quite prone to motion sickness. It can be problematic when I'm instructing at the track (not so bad when I'm driving). But after shooting a couple dozen shots with the new 10-17 zoom and looking over them in Aperture, I swear I'm feeling like a touch of motion sickness. I think it is the distortion of the effective visual horizon/cues. Weird.

Anyone else experience that effect, or am I just "special"

02-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Sea sick fish-eye?

I had the same experience with some of my shots at first. I came to the conclusion that it all had to do with visual width of the picture and diagonal slopes. In my case at least. Therefore I try not to take any diagonal or 'cross-slope' shots that are expansive ( hundreds of feet, side to side). It seems, to me, that the width and the angle of the cross slope seems to imply a sense of motion to the eye. Heck, perhaps a new technique? I'm still experimenting.
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i shoot with my fish eye 70=80% of the time, no such ill effects, never from a photograph, not one on a computer monitor anyway.
02-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think to avoid this in the future you should sell orgive me the lens. LOLOLOLOL it is on the short list for me. LBA really, never thought about having a wide angle before but over the past two months or so keeps seeing lots of shots with them here and there and now have to have it. LOLOLOLOL. Take a dramamine and you will be fine.

02-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the cheaper thing to do was to return the lens. Sorry Pat

I am very prone to motion sickness (odd that racing cars is a hobby), and it is interesting that while viewing photos before buying the lens it didn't bother me. But working with the photos I shot in Aperture got me queasy and a headache. I think I need to stick to 16mm and above
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Uh-oh... I am prone to that kind of thing as well and have always wanted one... this post will stop me from buying one for awhile!
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you want to really feel sick?

Set your fisheye to its widest setting, then look through your camera as you walk through your house while keeping your other eye closed.

I used to do this with my 17mm on my Canon film camera, and it is the weirdest feeling.

Careful though; walk slowly as it may make you nauseous!

I will not be held responsible for any lost lunches!

Mike