Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

sigma 17-50 f/2.8 vs da21 ltd

I know i know, two totally different lenses right?? Heres the deal. I have a DA21 right now and I love it. However, I find that my style of shooting has me changing lenses alot (all of my descent glass are primes) and I am getting frustrated with it. It would be nice to get a GOOD zoom for these times. Of course I COULD wait (who knows how long) and just buy the sig out right, but how would I satisfy my LBA right now?? I would sure hate find out later that selling the 21 was a mistake!

What I am ultimatly hoping for is opinions of those who have or have had both and if they think that the sig can produce the same quality images as the 21. I know of the size differences and that isnt near as big of a concern to me that image quality is.

01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think you will find no drop-off in IQ with the Sigma zoom.
01-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I love the DA21 - it's just wide enough and you can get in people's faces with it. If one of the things you like to shoot is landscapes, I wouldn't give up the DA21. I was in your situation a while back and sold it for a 2.8 zoom. While the zoom is sharp enough at all apertures, there was something special to me about the DA21 especially since I've been more recently printing my work. Hope that helps.
01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Perhaps if you can "borrow the money from yourself" for a few weeks you can buy the zoom and then decide which one to keep.

If you're fully taking advantage of the DA21 right now, then you will see a drop-off in IQ. Although I don't have the DA21, I've tried it. And I have (and have had) a good number of quality Pentax primes between 15 and 50mm. Neither the Sigma 17-50 nor my DA*16-50 can match a single one of them for overall IQ.

Nevertheless, getting the DA*16-50 (after I already had most of the primes) was a very freeing experience. I actually stopped buying lenses after that (I finally made a few more purchases 18 months later). When I just want good shots it's great to be able to walk around with the 16-50. So I believe you really will be happier with a quality zoom. Based on your signature, an ~16-50/2.8 stands out as the biggest need you have right now.

I chose the FA20 over the DA21. Frankly, you're in a better position than me if you sell yours. Since yours is a current model, you can easily find another one if you later regret it.

Last edited by DSims; 01-16-2013 at 09:50 PM.
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Perhaps if you can "borrow the money from yourself" for a few weeks you can buy the zoom and then decide which one to keep.
HAHA!! I love it! That way after I have borrowed the money from myself and a couple weeks have passes and I still can't decide, I can just keep both since I will have already gotten over the financial hit!

I am enjoying hearing the opinions, keep them coming!
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk232 Quote
HAHA!! I love it! That way after I have borrowed the money from myself and a couple weeks have passes and I still can't decide, I can just keep both since I will have already gotten over the financial hit!

I am enjoying hearing the opinions, keep them coming!
OK, you got me. That's the way it really works sometimes! But it's probably better than standing still, and you'll be able to answer your own questions about what you want.
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

I think you would regret selling the 21 as the IQ is better and makes a great walk about lens. I still have a zoom for times when I am lazy or lens changing is difficult. But when I want the best IQ, nothing beats a prime lens and the 21 is a keeper. If buying a fast zoom, you should also consider the Tamron 17-50. It is probably the most cost effective choice.
01-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I never understood DA21. It's small and portable and cute and...
I walked into camera store just the other day and asked to try out the new K-5II they had and used DA21. I left the store as unimpressed as I expected to. The lens doesn't (IMO) hold any significant advantages over top grade zoom. I was in similar situation couple of years back when I had FA*24 and FA43 and DA*55 and despite loving the results the constant lens changing drove me nuts not to mention the muck ending up in camera/on sensor and potentil risks inolving lens changing in less the favourable condidtions.
I went and bought FA*28-70. Was it as sharp as my primes? Hell no, but the overall IQ was just as good especially for PC display.
When I moved to Canon I started with 35/2+50/1.4+100/2 and few months down the line I got 28-70/2.8L which I eventualy ended up trading for 24-70/2.8 L. The IQ difference is still there but the amount of keepers I get due to availability of zoom range justifies any differences in IQ that me or my audience can percieve..

My 2p

01-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Changing lenses a lot is only a problem if you are missing shots because of it. That depends a lot on what sort of shooting you do.

The DA21 gives better wall to wall sharpness, better colours, less chromatic aberration, and much less weight and size.

The DA*16-50 gives the versatility of a zoom, less distortion, weather resistance, faster aperture and silent autofocus. The Sigma has all of that without the WR (yes, I have owned one, but sold it in favour of the Pentax)

I really think there is a place for both in your bag
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, you got me. That's the way it really works sometimes! But it's probably better than standing still, and you'll be able to answer your own questions about what you want.
alright well I gave my wife your info so she can come to you with her complaints!! i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a sigma so that I can field test them side by side and decide for myself...
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps if you can "borrow the money from yourself"...

i love that!! i will remember to try that with my wife.
02-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i love the DA21 and would never accept any zoom to replace it. but, there is convenience to not changing lenses every 5 minutes which is what i do on a shoot...heck, sometimes every minute i change. doesnt bother me a bit.