Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for the overwhelming amount of help from everyone.
I read the review here on PentaxForums a while ago, and image quality of the limited and the XS do look identical.

For me, the super shiny metal Limited looks very attractive, but I'm not sure it could be justified by the pricetag when compared to the XS. Especially when I don't use the quickshift.
Personally, I don't think either 40mm needs a hood. The flare control is quite good, seen here
Looks like I'll probably get the K-01 kit, and sell off the body

Thanks for your help everyone, time for me to assault my bank account. Again.

01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
SJo

I haven't XS. But I can directly tell you that 40 ltd is very sharp and pretty good lens, I ever had, there is just a little CAs appearing sometimes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Looks like I'll probably get the K-01 kit, and sell off the body
In that case, my advice to you is to make sure you don't accidentally turn it on, especially not with a fast manual focus lens attached.
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My bad. It must have been another review site.

I re-read Pentaxforum's review of those two lenses, and it seems there are some optical differences, mainly regarding aberrations. But the XS fares well indeed.
The reviews here, and elsewhere, can be a bit subjective. The XS is a cheap plastic kit lens, the Limited is a shiny metal lens containing the word "limited", thus our perceptions change. The more you spend, the more you value something, and the more you highlight its qualities. I take the reviews here with a grain of salt, they are subjective views. I'm a macro guy, so I find most of the "sharp" lenses reviewed on the internet to be "soft", but I also find some of the more poorly reviewed lenses to be great. There also is some variation in quality, the comparison of the XS and Limited here is a good example, the Limited was a bad copy, and was inferior in every way to the XS they had.

That said, I continually kick myself for buying a grey market DA L 55-300, just because the lack of quick shift. Quick shift is worth $100, to me at least. But this too is a bit subjective, since I've found I generally prefer manual focus, which probably goes back to the fact that I mainly shoot macro.