Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I know some forum members use their Pentax lenses on Canon bodies - I think even Adam's done so. Perhaps one of them can chime in.
I do this. I use an adapter that enables me to use my Pentax lenses on my Canon 60D as manual - only lenses. I have not heard of any lens that can transfer auto functions. However, I only use the 60D for video, so auto functions are completely irrelevant for me.

01-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
care to elaborate? with mentioning different regestry distances plz
When you change mounts on a lens you need to consider the regestry distance the lens was designed for, the thickness of the original and new mounts and the regestry distance you are adapting to to ensure with the new mount on the new body you can still reach infinity focus. That's all
01-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I do this. I use an adapter that enables me to use my Pentax lenses on my Canon 60D as manual - only lenses. I have not heard of any lens that can transfer auto functions. However, I only use the 60D for video, so auto functions are completely irrelevant for me.
and the aperture lever & flange don't interfere with the mirror/sensor?
01-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter

and the aperture lever & flange don't interfere with the mirror/sensor?
The 60D is APS-C. The mirror problem if FF only. But if you are going to use APS-C you might as well get a Pentax.

01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 60D is APS-C. The mirror problem if FF only. But if you are going to use APS-C you might as well get a Pentax.
Amen
Since the next upgrade (in the very far future) would be a FF, I'm thinking Nikon and buy used lenses especially since my teacher uses Nikon system as well...instead of a Canon & lens-surgery
01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

But if you are going to use APS-C you might as well get a Pentax.
Unless shooting video is one of your goals / desires / needs. In that case, you're much better off using Canon bodies.
01-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Unless shooting video is one of your goals / desires / needs. In that case, you're much better off using Canon bodies.
Then you are better off using a real video camera with native lenses.
01-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

So your question started as following:
I plan on switching to Full Frame
Now you say:
Since the next upgrade (in the very far future) would be a FF
So you're not switching to full-frame, you're switching to another brand that also includes full-frame cameras in their offer. Fair enough.
I don't understand people sometimes...

01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Then you are better off using a real video camera with native lenses.
If you can name a single dedicated video camera on the planet with an aps-c sensor, full manual control, and lenses for $200 or less, I'd gladly buy into it.
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Interesting enough. Here is another option result from my internet search. Not sure if it makes sense to you. Convert the medium frame pentax lenses.
Be creative!

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging Pro Pentax 645 Lens To Nikon Camera adapter for D3x, D3s, D3, D700, D300s, D300, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70s, D60, D40x, D50, D5000, D3000, Fuji S5 Pro, S3 Pro etc: Camera & Photo
Pentax 645 - $350 (vacaville ca)
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
So your question started as following:

Now you say:

So you're not switching to full-frame, you're switching to another brand that also includes full-frame cameras in their offer. Fair enough.
I don't understand people sometimes...
Let me put it this way:

the NEXT upgrade will be a full frame, till then I will work with my K-01 since it's suitable for both studio & street work
(which, of course, will need other lenses than the 40mm XS...)
(and, of course, I will not go through all of that to trade an APS-C for another APS-C)

So, my question was to find-out usability of Pentax lenses purchased in this stage, for the following (full frame) stage and on which bodies
(since a full frame body, in my currency, sets me back around 16k or more; Would've been nicer if i could save on lenses)
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My opinion is that you're wasting both time and money with Pentax, if you're decided not to stay with it. And as to why buy more K-mount lenses, beats me completely. You only have one body (K-01) and 3 lenses (40XS, Rokinon 14 and 85), which should be easy to sell at any time. So why not buy more?!
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #28

Original Poster
My opinion is that you're wasting both time and money with Pentax, if you're decided not to stay with it. And as to why buy more K-mount lenses, beats me completely. You only have one body (K-01) and 3 lenses (40XS, Rokinon 14 and 85), which should be easy to sell at any time. So why not buy more?!
Actually, it'll be the 40 XS that came with the kit, 14mm & the 55-300

The thing is there's 2 points to this:
1) After i get the FF, I'll still be using the Pentax as a support (NOTHING beats the inconspicuousness of the K-01)
2) Like I said, i make barely enough money & a FF is an enormous investment; I plan to have my photography fund its self and to do so it has to be good and with the K-01
(Since the K-01 is all that I have, which is pretty decent)

And both lenses, If someone brings them over from the US, will cost about 5k (my currency) but will cover almost everything I need and help me make good stuff

Makes sense yet?

EDIT: And concerning selling a Pentax system here, that's almost impossible since there's no market what-so-ever for Pentax in my country
It was actually one of the reasons I fancied having it since I could find old discarded Pentax lenses & get them for dirt cheap since there's no demand
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Makes sense yet?
No.
So you don't make any money out of it (yet). Why do you need full frame?

Oh, and sorry for these questions, but I'm just curious what Pentax customers think that the company should do to satisfy them. So if Pentax produced a full-frame camera, do you believe that you would have had no plans of jumping ship, even if you would have never bought it either?

Actually, it'll be the 40 XS that came with the kit, 14mm & the 55-300
And you were planning to adapt the 55-300 to Nikon mount?

Last edited by kcobain1992; 01-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #30

Original Poster
No.
So you don't make any money out of it (yet). Why do you need full frame?

Oh, and sorry for these questions, but I'm just curious what Pentax customers think that the company should do to satisfy them. So if Pentax produced a full-frame camera, do you believe that you would have had no plans of jumping ship, even if you would have never bought it either?

And you were planning to adapt the 55-300 to Nikon mount?
hehe I was asking about the possibility in general

Further explanations:
I don't need the full frame NOW, but it's a planned upgrade when I can afford it AND reach a level where it'll make a difference in my output

Of course i believe that the company should make a full frame camera but even then I'm interested in the best performance & image quality; that's why I talked about a Nikon first, not a Canon, because of its reputation in stills