Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

my da 55 focus ring *whines*

I hadn't picked up my 55 in about 2 weeks. Today grabbed it and it is making this whining noise when the focus ring is turned fast, noticeable at the infinity end, it does it when manual focused and autofocused when turning towards the infinity it whines!
The sound definetely wasn't there before. It is still smooth but seems like something is causing friction of some sort. If I turn the ring slowly it doens't make the sound only when turned real quick manually or in af.

Should I be concerned??!

01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's the "SDM Squeak" probably. Plenty of cases of it, very rarely have I heard of it resulting in failure. (You can hear it on all SDM lenses, regardless of age, assuming you are close enough to the lens with your ear)
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
ehh no I can hear this quite good at normal holding distance using the k-01. I then put it on the k5 and tried to make a video of it with the k 01 but the microphone is useless.
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

I have noticed that my da 50-135 makes a louder squeak then my 16-50 and 55 . Unsure why haha... still performs equally though.

01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like this?

Normal should sound like this:

I don't know what causes it... I had two copies of the lens, the first one being squeaky, I sold it (of course I mentioned the issue) because I didn't really use it and wanted to fund a new lens... then I started missing it... THEN I cam across another opened box one for a great price, that I couldn't resist. This new one is quiet on my K-30, but a little noisier (not squeaky, though) on the K01.
01-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The squeak may come later. I have had lenses with no noise, develop the squeak and some that came with the squeak. They all seem to work fine, so I gave up and just accept them. They do tend to quiet down after used for a bit, but will make sounds after unused for a bit too.
01-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Like this?

Pentax K20d + DA* 55 1.4 SDM (squeaky) - YouTube

Normal should sound like this:

Pentax K20d + DA* 55 1.4 SDM (non-squeaky) - YouTube

I don't know what causes it... I had two copies of the lens, the first one being squeaky, I sold it (of course I mentioned the issue) because I didn't really use it and wanted to fund a new lens... then I started missing it... THEN I cam across another opened box one for a great price, that I couldn't resist. This new one is quiet on my K-30, but a little noisier (not squeaky, though) on the K01.

nah is not like either one of those, my lens makes those but i take that as the normal sound of the focusing. This is diferent like a squeak of draging furniture on the gorund, i cant relly describe it. will try to record it again
01-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter

My Da * 55 has always made a high pitched almost whine sound when it focuses, but nothing like what you are describing, I don't think.

01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound like anything I've heard. When did you buy this lens? Was it recently manufactured, out of curiosity?