Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All I can say is those who have to fork out 550 Euros for a lens ought to take a shopping holiday to the Far East (HK/Singapore/China) where photographic equipment is tax free for tourists. Hongkong has no goods or services tax at all.

02-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

That is why there is no need to buy duty free goods in Hong Kong since there is no duties to start with
02-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Holy maccaroni ... I wouldn't pay that much for even f2.8
First, Pentax doesn't even sell in Ireland, so I have no opportunity to go to a dealer. Second, UK firms that operate "in disguise" do not necessarily offer wham-bam deals. Typical examples would be Pixmania, who have the 21mm at € 555 or Warehouseexpress at £400. That's not including shipping of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
All I can say is those who have to fork out 550 Euros for a lens ought to take a shopping holiday to the Far East (HK/Singapore/China) where photographic equipment is tax free for tourists.
Not only that, I would get to eat great food!
02-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
The DA Limited and FA Limited lenses aim to do different things. Each set of lenses makes certain compromises when compared to the other. Just understand and leave it at that.
But the FA series are going, going, gone... They are not on the roadmap. By the time I can afford them I'll be lucky to find one. Pentax is not pursuing large aperture but instead small size. I think that's a misplaced priority.

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
More importantly, you shouldn't even be discussing things. Just get what suits your style of photography, namely your needs the best.
Well surely that's good advice but if we all took it as gospel these forums would shut down pretty quickly. I have mentioned more than once that I've a brand "new" lens to try out, so it's not as though all I'm doing is typing. Thing is, Irish weather doesn't give me so many opportunities to go wild with photography. Another reason for a trip to Hong Kong!

But the point of the thread was, first, to see if my theories about 28mm were correct, which people seem to confirm. And second, to wonder as to the rather pointed gap in the Pentax lens lineup. And, as I've been told, the DA 30 will fill that in focal length (if not speed).

Though I wonder why a nice rounded focal length number? Why not continue the esoteric numerology and choose exactly the correct diagonal length... and make a 28mm. After all, we now know it to be the "perfect normal" for the cropped sensor!

02-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
First, Pentax doesn't even sell in Ireland, so I have no opportunity to go to a dealer. Second, UK firms that operate "in disguise" do not necessarily offer wham-bam deals. Typical examples would be Pixmania, who have the 21mm at € 555 or Warehouseexpress at £400. That's not including shipping of course.

Not only that, I would get to eat great food!
Wow you're certainly being ripped off in Ireland. If you need help getting any lens from Singapore, give me a PM. Even factoring shipping, you could save a bundle.
02-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Btw. there is a very good 28mm for Pentax available new:

The Zeiss Distagon 28/2.0

Unfortunately it sells for about 1000 Euro.
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Wow you're certainly being ripped off in Ireland. If you need help getting any lens from Singapore, give me a PM. Even factoring shipping, you could save a bundle.
It is actually called just that... "rip off Ireland". Supposedly the most expensive country in Europe, though I think the UK is worse since their wages are relatively lower. I might take you up on that offer once I move in a month. Or maybe I'll visit my relatives in Canada. (Also amazing food.)