Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
Wow, what a large amount of wonderful replies! Thanks everyone.

Something I probably should have specified is that this lens isn't being brought just for portraits but it will serve me as my go to portrait lens. It would likely be actually used less for portraits than everything else, I mentioned portrait lens as none of my other lenses serve incredibly well as portrait lenses. I definitely wouldn't shoot all the portraits in the lowest aperture, although certain situations I might try. I also do like the arty effects you can get with the 50mm 1.2, a large reason I am so drawn to it.

I do currently have a M42 mount 55mm f1.4 which I do love what it produces however when I got it was in really bad shape (fungus, few dents to body etc) which I fixed but it still has a really hard to turn focus ring which makes it quite a hassle to use. This is basically what I am upgrading from.

@focusing worries: I do have a split prism as the stock k5 one is terrible when it comes to manual and most of the people I take portrait I know so it doesn't matter about the time it takes to get the focus right, perhaps if this ever changes i'd probably just buy some nice af glass.. Oh that FA77...

I am still unsure on which focal range I prefer, I shall have a better look into this today and see if I can figure out if I fancy 50 or 85... It's a hard one though, I do feel like 85 can be quite restricting at times but certain situations I imagine the added length would be much preferred by me - I think the only way I can get around this is buying both.. Time to go buy a lotto ticket me thinks.

@Prices: I live in New Zealand, our prices don't make an ounce of sense in regards to lenses and availability is also poor so I can actually get a good condition 50mm 1.2 (K) for the same price as the samyang 85mm currently.

Thanks everyone, hope I have cleared a few things up.
If the K50/1.2 cost the same as the Samyang 85/1.4 I'd get it in a heartbeat.

01-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can get the 50/1.2 for sa,e price as the samyang, get it first. Samyang is always there for you next day.
And dont wait too long, as other member also watching...
01-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These two lenses have very little in common the leap from 50mm to 85mm is a huge one, in terms of field of view. Since field of view is the most obvious characteristic of any photo, I think the differences between 50 and 85 will be far greater than any other differences between the lenses. As such, I'd recommend getting whatever focal length you desire the most. Or getting the other lens, but prepare to yearn for the focal length you don't have for a long time.