Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Filter stuck in 16-45mm

Hi there, I have a 16-45mm lens with the CPL filter stuck in the lens thread. Not sure how to take it off, Does anyone has suggestions? I don't want to keep the filter on the lens forever!! Thanks

01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Varying the heat and cold ratio between the camera and the filter can loosen it. A rubber mat or grippy used to open jars can do it too. Even pressure around the entire circumference of the filter makes it more likely it will loosen too.

If those do not work there are lens filter wrenches available.
Amazon.com: lens filter wrench
01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How have you tried to remove it?

I had a filter stuck on my previous Sigma 50 F1.4 once. What happened was I dropped the lens and it actually warped the filter thread a little bit. I didn't notice, and put on a filter and found that it stuck hard. I had to use some serious grip gloves (nice thin pair, meant for working on cars) to twist it off.

If force and grip improving methods don't work, I'm not sure what else will - I'd be hesitant to apply lubrication.
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You have to turn it by pressing squarely from the front. If you try like it is a jar cap, because it is thin metal you are actually distorting it and jamming it
tighter.
Wearing a rubber glove use the palm of you hand to turn it. I have removed many jammed on old lenses that have been on for decades and this is the best
method.

01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

One trick I learned was to apply even pressure around the filter using either a filter wrench or by using the palm of your hand to turn it from the front. Use as little pressure as possible.

Filters are so thin that squeezing the edges to turn it as you normally would is enough to bind the threads and prevent it from turning. You can also try screwing another filter onto the front of the existing one, this helps to stiffen or straighten the existing filter and un-bind the threads.
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by mariopato2010 Quote
...16-45mm lens with the CPL filter stuck in the lens thread
Broccoli or Lobster or and wide rubber band for grip. Also, if you have painter's tape, immobilize the easily revolving portion. Snap the band over the grip portion of the filter and adjust your grip by rotating the lens a quarter turn and re-grip to turn. This worked well on my grumpy bent CPL on my 77mm lens... just take your time and apply even force each turn.
01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lens filter wrenches work like a charm. They are thin enough to get into the tightest spaces between filters and have enough surface area to provide a positive grip. They've been a permanent addition to my camera bag since the late 80s-early 90s. Many brick and mortar camera stores will have them.
01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Never new there was such a thing as a filter wrench, I did try to remove the lens with my gloves on and it came off, Thanks to all

Mario

01-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I used this.
Universal Opener - Openers - Kitchen - buy cheaply online at ESSENTIAL AIDS UK
Should be easy to find and cheap.

Any stuck filter will come out in a second. I had 3 successful times and 100% rate.
No problem from 49mm to 77mm.