Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
your, "oh crap I'd wish I brought this lens" lens...

Tomorrow I'm on a plane to Hong Kong. I was going to experiment with a 10-17 fisheye on my K10 but it didn't work out for me. I've got the 18-55 kit lens which is ok, but the vignetting bugs me, and I'll likely be shooting in tight spaces a fair amount (replicate some of Wong Kar Wai's looks). My other lens is a 100 macro which I'll take when I need some telephoto and to pick up abstract/macro. I've also got my D Lux-3, which can shoot raw and the Leica lens is very sweet, covering effective 28-112mm.

So would you just shoot with what I got, or try to pick up a lens on the way to the airport (my local shop is convenient for that). I was thinking maybe the 16-45 to use as a walking around lens, but it is somewhat redundant with my Leica. I tried the 16-50* they had in stock and was not impressed vs. the kit lens. Its going to be city run-and-gun so no tripods or big/heavy lenses. Not sure if the 16-45 is a big step up from the 18-55, though I'm pretty sure the extra 2mm at the short end would help. Just not sure if it helps $400 worth

Suggestions? To get an idea of my "looks", here are shots from a previous trip to Shanghai. Taken with either a Canon SD400 or Nikon D70 w/105micro.

nostatic at all...

02-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why not a DA21?
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Keep the Leica at home and go get the DA 16-45 from Hong Kong. Prices there are really very good. The 2 mm difference on the wide end is a big difference compared to the kit lens and the constant f/4 is useful.

The other good alternative is the Sigma 17-70, which gives a little more reach on the tele end.
02-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Tomorrow I'm on a plane to Hong Kong. I was going to experiment with a 10-17 fisheye on my K10 but it didn't work out for me. I've got the 18-55 kit lens which is ok, but the vignetting bugs me, and I'll likely be shooting in tight spaces a fair amount (replicate some of Wong Kar Wai's looks). My other lens is a 100 macro which I'll take when I need some telephoto and to pick up abstract/macro. I've also got my D Lux-3, which can shoot raw and the Leica lens is very sweet, covering effective 28-112mm.

So would you just shoot with what I got, or try to pick up a lens on the way to the airport (my local shop is convenient for that). I was thinking maybe the 16-45 to use as a walking around lens, but it is somewhat redundant with my Leica. I tried the 16-50* they had in stock and was not impressed vs. the kit lens. Its going to be city run-and-gun so no tripods or big/heavy lenses. Not sure if the 16-45 is a big step up from the 18-55, though I'm pretty sure the extra 2mm at the short end would help. Just not sure if it helps $400 worth

Suggestions? To get an idea of my "looks", here are shots from a previous trip to Shanghai. Taken with either a Canon SD400 or Nikon D70 w/105micro.

nostatic at all...
Just a dumb thought but someone else was looking into putting a wide angle adaptor on their kit lens a few days ago, go back through the threads and you'sll find it. I answered it because I have tried one that I got for my P&S kodak 7590, on my tamron adaptall II 24mm. no vignetting but mild fisheye 11 mm was the result. If you get a wide angle adaptror, go for one with one filter size up, and a reducing ring, to avoid vignetting. you might be able to pick one up going through an airport. It's not a real long term solution but better than nothing

I intend to play with my combo a little, even though I have a sigma 10-20 for real work.

02-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taken with 16-45 a few nights ago.

02-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Keep the Leica at home and go get the DA 16-45 from Hong Kong. Prices there are really very good. The 2 mm difference on the wide end is a big difference compared to the kit lens and the constant f/4 is useful.
No, the Leica is definitely going. It is much smaller than the dslr, can fit in my pocket, so it'll go everywhere with me. Plus I think the native 16x9 aspect ratio will make for some interesting shots in the city

Any idea on prices in HK? I tried a search awhile back but things looked expensive. I've got my local tour guide with me to bargain in Cantonese though
02-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
No, the Leica is definitely going. It is much smaller than the dslr, can fit in my pocket, so it'll go everywhere with me. Plus I think the native 16x9 aspect ratio will make for some interesting shots in the city

Any idea on prices in HK? I tried a search awhile back but things looked expensive. I've got my local tour guide with me to bargain in Cantonese though
I don't have in depth knowledge but from what I've read so far from the HK camera forum the prices are similar to US pricing. Off the top of my head a FA35 is 19xxHKD.