Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Slide Copying To Digital

Hello, all.

My father got into photography during World War 2, and remained a camera buff for years after. He is the reason I got interested in photography.

I literally have thousands of slides from the 50s & 60s which hardly ever get looked at by me, and are never seen by any of my extended family, so I recently started thinking about copying them to digital, so I could share them with everyone.

What will I need?

Will I need a macro lens?

Do I need a small copy stand and lights, or would a Cokin-like adapter holding the slide and using daylight for illumination be sufficient?

Has anyone here done this?

I figured I'd ask here first. Any info appreciated.

Mike

02-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If I were you I would try and pick up a nice film scanner.
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
If I were you I would try and pick up a nice film scanner.
Can it scan slides?

What would one cost?

Mike
02-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #4

Mike do a search on the Pentax Forums for slide copier and you will find a lot of info.

Good Luck

02-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vestige Quote
Mike do a search on the Pentax Forums for slide copier and you will find a lot of info.

Good Luck
I never thought of that.

How embarrassing!

Thanks, vestige.

Mike
02-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Check out this thread for current talk on the subject.
02-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
Check out this thread for current talk on the subject.
Will do, clawhamemr, and thanks.

Mike
02-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I haven't read the other thread referred to in the previous email, but here is what I did.
I bought a $200 HP flatbed scanner that can scan up to 16 slides at one time. The model I bought is the 4890 (now discontinued, but similar available). I've scanned over 1000 slides (so far) from my early days in photography (starting mid-late 60's). The results are fine.
Just start scanning them ASAP no matter how you finally decide to do it. I found that a lot of the old Kodachromes are deteriorating badly (fungus et al). Yes, if I stored them correctly they would be fine now, but that's water under the bridge.
Regards,
Brian

02-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Faced with a similar situation a couple of years ago, I purchased a Canon CanoScan 8400F which scans slides, negatives and prints. The purchase was made after reading in PC Magazine the results of their test which showed that it performed about as well as a dedicated slide scanner costing several hundred dollars more.As with Brian's HP model, I think it has been replaced with a newer one. I'm attaching a link to the magazine article.
Super Scanners - Canon CanoScan 8400F - Reviews by PC Magazine

(The 8400F has apparently been replaced by the 8800F, available for $180 from B&H)

CN

Last edited by Clem Nichols; 02-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it depends on how much you want to spend Mike. I used to shoot a lot in slide film so I have a lot of slides that I need to convert to digital but I don't want to spend a fortune. After looking at the options I decided I am going to buy a Plustek Opticfilm 7200i scanner, a dedicated 35mm negative and slide scanner (probably not the best but good enough for me) when I can save up for it after I've saved up for my no 1 priority, a long telephoto.

Paul
02-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas, guys; I really appreciate them.

I'll start reading through all the threads suggested.

This is what I found at B&H's site.
slide copying | B&H Photo Video

Thanks again.

Mike
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Those units are OK if you're only going to copy one slide at a time, but for hundreds to thousands???
For dedicated film/slide scanners, go here:Film Scanners | B&H Photo Video. For the less expensive flatbed scanners, go here:flatbed scanner | B&H Photo Video. Here's the CanoScan 8800, CanoScan 8800F | B&H Photo Video. Currently not in stock at B&H, but easily found at Adorama and various other dealers.

CN

Last edited by Clem Nichols; 02-23-2008 at 02:53 PM.
02-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
Those units are OK if you're only going to copy one slide at a time, but for hundreds to thousands???
For dedicated film/slide scanners, go here:Film Scanners | B&H Photo Video. For the less expensive flatbed scanners, go here:flatbed scanner | B&H Photo Video. Here's the CanoScan 8800, CanoScan 8800F | B&H Photo Video. Currently not in stock at B&H, but easily found at Adorama and various other dealers.
CN
True, I have thousands of slides, but I don't want to scan them all, plus I'm not in a hurry; this would be a leisurely project.

I'm really going to researh this, and see which approach produces better results.

If I do get a 50mm macro lens, it can also double as a portrait lens, which would be a nice bonus.

Thanks, Clem.

Mike
02-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on whether you have only 35mm and/or MF slides you may need to get a more versatile scanner. I think the new Epson multi-purpose scanners are very good (even though I do not have one now)
Slides or negs are the same for the scanner, I would recommend getting VueScan or Silverfast software to improve the quality

I have used an old T-Mount slide copier for 35mm but the cropping factor is an issue. A good macro lens and a light table can also be used with success.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Can it scan slides?

What would one cost?

Mike
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I am also looking for a decent yet not-so-expensive slide scanner. The Epson V500 looks like it will be my choice. It is under $250 and has good reviews. The only problem is you can only do a few at a time.