Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Where to buy vintage M42 lenses

I noticed in the recent past a discussion on these forums on where to buy vintage lenses. As a user of mirrorless cameras, I stick to such lenses, with a Novoflex adapter. For quick photography, I use a M42 Tokina zoom 20-70 with full satisfaction, even for my scientific work of biochemist. I owe a large number of M42 lenses, including many splendid Takumar and Carl Zeiss of the 70, from wide to tele, and a 16mm Zenitar. Just to collect another lens made of metal and glass, on December 2012 I ordered to Rocky Cameras <http://www.rockycameras.com/vintage-lenses-68-c.asp> a M42 Vivitar zoom 35-105, paid through PayPal, received promptly. While the package was intact, the zoom did not work. It could only be focused at zoom 35 and mechanically turned up to about 80, not 105. Worse, there was no optical zoom action from 35 to 80: image same size, only out of focus, and could not be focused. Well, I immediately contacted the seller through PayPal: no answer. Then, I escalated to a claim for refunding through PayPal, while informing directly by e-mail the seller about the claim. No answer from the seller. PayPay answered, however to inform me that, because the order for the lens was outside eBay, they could not refund me. Today, January 22, 2013, I leave the conclusions to the reader. Hope this helps. Your chiendarret

01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I like KEH for their used stuff. Pentax Screwmount - Cameras, Lenses & Accessories - KEH.com
01-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Local pawn shops are worth checking out.
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Forums Marketplace, Craigslist, tag sales, local classifieds, Goodwill/Salvation Army type of stores (local and on-line), B&H Photo, Adorama, friends. I've even got a few I've been thinking about selling.

01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Well, Rocky Cameras is not reputable unfortunately, but there are some good dealers like KEH. Ebay is fine if you stick to those with a track record and 100% positive feedback (and that take returns). This forum is a pretty good place, as well as anywhere local to you (camera shops, pawn shops, thrift stores, antique malls, Craigslist sellers) where you can inspect the lenses in person before buying. Certainly you have to be prepared to sometimes send things back, and you'll probably eat a shipping charge once in a while if you buy much -- fair or not, that's just the way it is.
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, Rocky Cameras is not reputable unfortunately, but there are some good dealers like KEH. Ebay is fine if you stick to those with a track record and 100% positive feedback (and that take returns). This forum is a pretty good place, as well as anywhere local to you (camera shops, pawn shops, thrift stores, antique malls, Craigslist sellers) where you can inspect the lenses in person before buying. Certainly you have to be prepared to sometimes send things back, and you'll probably eat a shipping charge once in a while if you buy much -- fair or not, that's just the way it is.
He's got a terrible reputation for sending out junk, then he sometimes replaces the junk or gives a refund. But if you cross him, you'll get to experience his legendary customer service. He does have a lot of good stuff, but he does himself no favours by selling junk as well.
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
He's got a terrible reputation for sending out junk, then he sometimes replaces the junk or gives a refund. But if you cross him, you'll get to experience his legendary customer service. He does have a lot of good stuff, but he does himself no favours by selling junk as well.
My anti-virus/spyware program actually blocks my browser from the site for being a spammer. I'd say avoid -- there are plenty of places to get old lenses...
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you are lucky you can get m42 (and other old/manual) lenses at local second hand stores or garage sales. But some of us don't live in place where that is possible, so we use ebay and other websites like that that send out internationally. If you want Russian m42 lenses, I suggest you get them from dealers in Russia and the Ukraine. On the other hand, a genuine Pentax 50mm in good shape can be almost as cheap as a m42 lens, but is usually much better in overall IQ.

01-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I check local goodwill / thrift stores, and pawn shops. You can usually find lenses there, and shooting a mirror less lets you use a large range of such lenses, of course with the correct adaptor.

One thing to consider, however, is that with Pentax supporting both M42 and K mount lenses with the DSLRs and Nikon increasing their support through more models allowing metering and use of legacy lenses, these lenses are getting scares. However, there are a lot of FD mount canon lenses out there that are simply not supported at all by canon, but which can still make good lenses to use on an ILC mirror less camera
01-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
As the author of the thread, my post was just to warn users about both vendors and online banks. I used before only to buy from German sellers, both organizations and private individuals, and I got some 12 top quality M42 lenses, both year ago and quite recently. I'll stick in the future to Gemany. What was surprising was the behavior of the online bank: from a questionnaire received from them, they seem to be aware of the fraud, still they are happy with their deal. In Germany such a behavior would be quite risky. This is why I'll avoid not only that particular seller but UK in toto, as well as that online bank.