Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Whats the best macro lens for video?

I have a panasonic gh2 and I am looking to start shooting video with a macro lens. Sorry If I am in the wrong place, this is my first post and I will repost somewhere else if need be..

But here is my situation. I have a canon FD 50mm 1.4, a canon fd 24mm 2.8, and an SLR magic 12mm..

I was going to buy a macro lens but my budget is only $200 and I figured I would try out a macro filter of some sort before. I also won't be using the macro lens TOO much, just for different scenes in my short film.

I found and researched the raynox DCR 250 and 150, which actually brought me to this site. I also saw $10 macro filters and $60 macro filters on amazon. So I have a few options of filters, but Im not sure which would be best for my lens set up. I have read the raynox is only good for high focal length lenses like a 70mm or 100mm, which I don't have. So my 50mm 1.4 is probably my best lens to convert into macro, but I was wondering what was the best method to do so.

Hoya Macro filter? Raynox dcr 150/250? or is it not really possible? I do want to keep the quality of my lens...

Thanks

01-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The definitive article on macro: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

There are many ways to do macro, using an actual macro lens is one and in my opinion the best, but it requires a usually fairly expensive lens. There are any number of 100mm macro lenses on the used market so that is one option. Another way to go is the filter or Raynox system, I don't have a Raynox but lots of people say good things about them. The regular closeup filters will not give as good an image quality but that may not matter depending on your application.
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Can you recommend a decent macro lens? My budget is around $200, is it even worth getting something like the olympus 35mm 3.5 maco?
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you look around in the Marketplace here, you will see MF macro lenses that can go to 2:1 for around 100 - 150 range and the 1:1 for around 175 and up. Any of them would be good for still shots but for video, a lens that's sharp wide open with fast aperture would be ideal. For this, I would recommend a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 72B, 90/2.8. You will need to get an Adaptall to m43 adapter (search for it on eBay) in order to mount the lens on your GH-2 and the lens can be found for under 200.00. Here's one on the Marketplace: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/210062-sale-t...a-doubler.html If you don't shoot with a Pentax camera, you can sell the PK/A adapter that's on the lens for a good price to recoup some of your cost. PM me if you do buy this lens and want to sell the PK/A adapter.

01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks excanon, I think I will probably be getting this lens. Exactly the info I was looking for. I PM you would a quesiton though.