Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My great dilemma

Here's what I brought home today... scroll to bottom, see the picture, scroll back up here

If you ignore the poor lighting and the poor on-board flash.... that is a FA*80-200mm f2.8 in what I would call Excellent condition. The glass is flawless, not even suspect dust inside. The barrel does have a couple rubs, with black showing through the silver. Pretty cool lens since I have never handled something so awe inspiring. I originally bought this lens a week ago with the full intention of putting it straight on the marketplace. I struck a good price and can probably pick up a small "finders fee" which I could then use to fund a purchase for my LBA (60-250 or 300 f4). However, the more I read about the lens, the more I think I might keep it. But, I get a week to try it (conveniently I am going to the Calgary Zoo this weekend ) before my purchase is final.

My dilemma... do I:
A) Use it for the week, then throw it on the Marketplace for one lucky forum member
B) Keep it and enjoy everything that it is
C) Keep the lens and then sell it for a lot more when the long overdue Pentax Full Frame DSLR is released, hoping that there will be a rush on FF lenses and I will make a lot more money

Seriously though, what are some peoples general thoughts?

The picture was taken with my new to me, FA 43mm f1.9 Ltd MIJ that I brought home today as well.... in "Like new" condition. This completely made my day more than the FA* 80-200... the FA 43mm came with: Lens, Lens cap, lens hood, leather pouch, original box, ALL the original paperwork, and even the plastic bag that the leather bag/lens came in. Literally, everything you would get with a new lens. I am impressed since it is a made in Japan version.

Last edited by calculator01; 04-08-2013 at 06:03 PM.
01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Holy hell, that thing is massive. Congrats on the purchase.

As for what you should do with it: Keep it if you are going to use it. If you never shoot tele then you should probably sell it. But if you do then keep it for a week and see how it works out.

I see you have a DA-L 55-300. If you don't use the 300mm end, you should try some comparison shots between the two. The FA* is probably going to win, though.
01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

I'd keep it, but I spend quite a good bit of time looking for that lens and never found it for a decent price... Ended up with the Tokina equivalent which I'm happy with, but I would have been happier with that one
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

Keep it!

01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not everyday that you have the opportunity to purchased an FA* 80-200 (much less, one in excellent condition).

Don't sell it just yet... Use it and see how you like it; shoot different subjects in different conditions.

Because once you sell this beauty, it is GONE. Very very unlikely that you'll find another one in this condition and for a great price as well... Just speaking from prior experience with an almost-impossible-to-find FA* lens that I had.

Of course if you just end up not liking it and not using it, it would be a shame just to have it sit in your bag and collect dust. In that case, I'd sell it and use the money to fund a lens that you will use.
01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

most definitely use it for the week...i suspect you will like it and will have trouble finding other lens that meet the same standards...if you don't like it sell it....if you keep it, worse case, down the road you sell it and make the money...it definitely will not go down in value!!! enjoy........by the way, great dilemma you have...
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Unless you really need WR or SDM or a warranty, 80-200 is really close to 60-250 and of course f2.8 is faster. Is it worth the trouble to sell then buy?

I keep thinking that Pentax won't release an FF camera without a couple of lenses, one of which should be a replacement for the FA* 80-200/2.8. The new lens will then set a price point for the FA* used market. I guess it depends on whether the guys who created the pricing strategy for the 560mm set all the new lens prices, or for some reason they choose a budget FF strategy.
01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just use it if you don't need to money. 60-250 is good too but this is probably another league. Until you need the money, then sell it, in any case, is a win win for you.
It is not very often you get to use such a good lens!

01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

+1. Keep it. Enjoy it. Most FA* lenses are genune investments and you will not loose money is keeping (and using) it. What else cna you ask?
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I would keep it. You can add a TC and get beyond the 60-250 range with equal speed and better quality images
01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sell it to fund the lens you really want. It's a good lens, but too heavy and big to carry around. I had it before, twice actually. Sold both times due to the size and weight. No point keeping it if I'm not carrying or using it at all.

JMHO.
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you are going to use it, keep it. If you have a specific reason for wanting the 60-250, then sell it and get the 60-250. You know you would find a buyer for it in the marketplace in no time. If it was me, I would keep it...and I have the 60-250 which is my favorite DA* zoom. I hate to state the much overused reasoning, but there could be a FF camera at some point, that is why I would want this.
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your thoughts. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to keep it. Mainly, when will I ever find affordable 2.8 glass in this range again? Not likely, unless I look at 3rd party, or Pentax does the FF thing.

But, I promise you if I don't use it or don't enjoy it, I will put it up on the Marketplace for someone
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you can't decide yet, send it over so I can keep it safe for you until you make a decision