Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #1

Da21 + K100d = P&s?

Hi everyone,

Last year, I purchased a K100D because I wanted better image quality, but I still find myself snapping most of my pictures when I'm out with friends and on short trips. Mobility is key for me. In the past, I used to have a tiny point-and-shoot holstered to my belt, all the time.

When I first tried out the DA21 at a local store, I loved the images, and thought that perhaps I could mount it on my K100D, find an appropriately sized case, and holster it to my belt. And I could carry it like a P&S. In looking carefully at the dimensions, however, the lens still sticks out enough so that it doesn't feel like a thin brick. And obviously, the whole package is considerably heavier.

What do you guys think? Is there a bag that would make this work? Is it worth it? If my main argument for getting a DA21 is to create a $900 point & shoot camera that I could carry all day, am I fooling myself? Otherwise, perhaps my $450 is better spent getting a top-of-the-line P&S, like the Canon Powershot G9. I saw a prior thread discussing the *istD + DA21, but it sounds like the *istD and K100D are different sizes.

If you can't already tell, I'm trying to find any possible excuse to get the DA21. But I'm not really good enough of a photographer to deserve more than the fine kit lens for general use. (I got the DA35/2 primarily for low-light).

Ricardo

02-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

buy the sigma DP1
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i bought a DA21 for the same purpose (i also have the FA35) too.
it works great, but i think you are fooling yourself a bit if you think it's compact, i mean the whole thing weights about 2 pounds so it's definitely not as portable as a P&S, but it's not large either. i agree too, the lens does stick out a bit more than i expected. maybe you should consider the DA40 if you want to go even smaller

if you are going to take most of your pictures outdoors, i would go a P&S
02-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. The main reason I bring out the DSLR is cuz of indoor shots. Looking at the Sigma DP1, it's the perfect focal length for group shots, but the f/4 and ISO 800 max may compromise those goals.

I guess my next lens purchase will be the tamron 17-50/2.8, when it comes out.