Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #1

so i got myself a Sigma 10-20...

...how do I know if I got a good copy or not?

(scroll several posts below for the images)

Last edited by lastdodobird; 02-25-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: scroll several posts below for the images
02-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
...how do I know if I got a good copy or not?
Do you yourself like what you see? To me they seems quite okay...
02-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how with a post limited by 800-640 you can tell about good vs bad copy.

Knowledge of focal length would be interesting.

I see a little barrel distortion on one shot. But at extreme 10mm focal length this is not too bad
02-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't know how with a post limited by 800-640 you can tell about good vs bad copy.
Maybe you did not click the image to get the 1024x648px version

02-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks fine from these shots. basically I agree with gawan. if the shots look sharp and has good colour (which appears so from these), then you have a good lens. Ultra wides are a little tougher to evaluate for sharpness since they have such a huge DOF but that's a good thing.

Go shoot, have fun and post lots of picks with that great new lens.
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Looks fine from these shots. basically I agree with gawan. if the shots look sharp and has good colour (which appears so from these), then you have a good lens. Ultra wides are a little tougher to evaluate for sharpness since they have such a huge DOF but that's a good thing.

I've had my 10-20 for a week and had the same question. Lots of test shots and a fair amount of Wow. I am happy with the lens having a liking for extreme wide angle that I lost with the *istD and K10D. Read the test report at Welcome to Photozone! to understand that there are some limitations to be expected.

Take Care

David
02-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Do you yourself like what you see? To me they seems quite okay...
Actually, I see it a bit soft on the borders. However, Í could possibly attribute this to the fact that I may have been spolied by the sharpness of my 40/2.8 ltd, which has been my only lens up until this purchase. I considered that I might need a keener and more discerning eye to opine if the copy I got was a good one or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Knowledge of focal length would be interesting.

I see a little barrel distortion on one shot. But at extreme 10mm focal length this is not too bad
I'll post some full-sized photos at the bottom of this post for a better look. As for the distortion, I was already aware that this lens had distortions at 10mm before I bought it so it's all good. The thing I'm trying to judge is the sharpness of this particular copy I got.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Yeah, I actually agree that "Ultra wides are a little tougher to evaluate for sharpness since they have such a huge DOF but that's a good thing." At least from my point of view, you can just keep on shooting without worrying much about the sharpness and focusing in the image. But of course, knowing that I good copy would make me a tad bit happier. LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I've had my 10-20 for a week and had the same question. Lots of test shots and a fair amount of Wow. I am happy with the lens having a liking for extreme wide angle that I lost with the *istD and K10D. Read the test report at Welcome to Photozone! to understand that there are some limitations to be expected.

Take Care

David
Congratulations on your lens David! I too have had a fair bit of fun already with my lens and I can't wait to take it out the next time I go on vacation! I've seen a good deal of amazing photos taken with this lens and I'm itching to shoot my own.

Here are some full res photos (full size is 2048x1367) of course you'll have to click on them to see the full image (I took down the photos on the initial post to help lessen the loading time of this thread):

1s, f8.0, ISO200 @10mm

1/25s, f4.0, ISO200 @10mm

1/50s, f8.0, ISO200 @10mm