Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
F series zoom lens & Shake Reduction

I just bought an F 100-300 and am awaiting it's arrival. Now, I think of the following question. Does the K10D's shake reduction feature read the FL on the zoom of an F series lens? It does just fine on my Sigma 17-70, but it does not on my PKA Vivitar Series 1 70-210. How about the MTF values? F series and MTF compatible?
Thanks,
Brian

02-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I just bought an F 100-300 and am awaiting it's arrival. Now, I think of the following question. Does the K10D's shake reduction feature read the FL on the zoom of an F series lens? It does just fine on my Sigma 17-70, but it does not on my PKA Vivitar Series 1 70-210. How about the MTF values? F series and MTF compatible?
Thanks,
Brian
I do not know about the MTF values, but I do know that the camera is able to read the current focal length from the lens. I also have the F 100-300 and it works perfectly with the SR, just as my other F series zooms work perfectly.

The KA mount does not communicate the focal length of the lens with the body. The KAF mount does. So this explains why SR will not work with your Vivitar Series 1 lens (it does, but you have to engage it manually).
02-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I do not know about the MTF values, but I do know that the camera is able to read the current focal length from the lens. I also have the F 100-300 and it works perfectly with the SR, just as my other F series zooms work perfectly.

The KA mount does not communicate the focal length of the lens with the body. The KAF mount does. So this explains why SR will not work with your Vivitar Series 1 lens (it does, but you have to engage it manually).
Thanks for the confirmation of the functionality of the F series zooms.
I realize that the KA lenses work with the Shake Reduction by Manual setting. I just get frustrated because I'm always changing the FL to compose what I want. Even if I set the SR to 200mm (for the 70-210 range) and leave it, the exif data always shows 200 (or whatever I set SR to). I always try to learn something from reviewing my shots and I would prefer to know the FL as opposed to the SR setting.

Are you satisfied with your F100-300? I bought it to reach further than the DA`50-135 (my next purchase once the $ is saved up). I know that it (100-300) is not the quality of the 50-135, but I have less need for the extra long reach. That makes it hard to justify enough lens $ to get top quality long reach lenses for me.
Thanks,
Brian
02-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Thanks for the confirmation of the functionality of the F series zooms.
I realize that the KA lenses work with the Shake Reduction by Manual setting. I just get frustrated because I'm always changing the FL to compose what I want. Even if I set the SR to 200mm (for the 70-210 range) and leave it, the exif data always shows 200 (or whatever I set SR to). I always try to learn something from reviewing my shots and I would prefer to know the FL as opposed to the SR setting.

Are you satisfied with your F100-300? I bought it to reach further than the DA`50-135 (my next purchase once the $ is saved up). I know that it (100-300) is not the quality of the 50-135, but I have less need for the extra long reach. That makes it hard to justify enough lens $ to get top quality long reach lenses for me.
Thanks,
Brian
Brian,

I must confess that I never have used the 100-300 on a serious basis: I was just playing with it. The fact is that I usually use a zoom lens on its extremes, so for the tele photos I always choose my F* 300/4.5 which produces stellar results (and this is why I also prefer shooting primes). From my memory the 100-300 is not bad at all, but it is not a dream lens either.

Please post the results with your 100-300 here. Always nice to see how it performs in someone else's hands.