Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone else with a "Kalimar MC Automatic" 28mm?

Just got one of these off EBay from an estate sale in Utah. The lens says exactly: "Kalimar MC Automatic 1:2.8 f=28mm". This is my first experience with anything outside the kit lens.

First impressions: it's been so many years since I used a film camera that I've forgotten what a solid piece of metal feels like! Also I'll be needing to get used to manually focusing, especially as the movement takes a lot of effort compared with the kit. And it takes three-quarters of a turn to get from less than 1 foot to infinity. This takes me several cranks of my wrist, though in practice I doubt I'd need to go from one extreme to the other very quickly.

I say "about" because the first marking is at 1.2 but it seems to focus significantly closer than that. Focus at infinity seems to be close enough, though I am having some difficulty getting a very sharp shot at any distance.

Anyway, here's what it looks like:

And again:

I realise there are any number of 28mm lenses banging around out there, but it'd be cool if anyone has experience with this and can compare it to the Pentax proper. I'd like to ground my real-world experience in some sort of context.

02-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't done a huge number of shots yet, but did set up some stuff on my kitchen table. This photo is after a workflow that included default raw correction (every option off) in Raw Therapee plus cropping, level adjustment, minor colour correction and sharpening in Photoshop.

The following is a 100% crop with no processing, just straight through Raw Therapee to a TIFF, and then converted to PNG.

I am new at all this and do not have much experience. But I am thinking this shot is maybe not focused exactly. Yet this was the best of the focus attempts I did. Or is it that the lens is soft? Or maybe I am expecting too much!
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #3

Hi, this is not an answer to you question. However just in case you have problems with this lens here is a link

KR mount lenses may get stuck on PK DSLR's: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Cheers

Jan
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Woah... you're scaring me. Are you saying this lens is not a K-mount but rather a KR thing-a-ma-bob? I guess you are, since it does say "KR" in giant letters on the ring.

OK, so what's the chance this will cause a problem?

02-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd just make sure that little pin is gone before you put it on your camera. Maybe someone has already removed it?
02-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I'd just make sure that little pin is gone before you put it on your camera. Maybe someone has already removed it?
There is a small pin there. A very small protrusion. Yet it's been on and off the camera several times. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Looking at the description of how to take apart the lens to fix the issue, I'm not sure I'm up for it.

I might be passing this little item on to a better home.
05-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some time later and I still have this lens. Not only that, but I've become quite an expert on the whole Ricoh mount. I have now completed the definitive article on this subject, over at the Theatre of Noise. Please read The Ricoh Pin Fix. I hope this acts as a useful resource for others.

05-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

KALIA MAAAAAA. KALI MAAAAAA!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Er, what now?
05-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The following is a 100% crop with no processing, just straight through Raw Therapee to a TIFF, and then converted to PNG.

I am new at all this and do not have much experience. But I am thinking this shot is maybe not focused exactly. Yet this was the best of the focus attempts I did. Or is it that the lens is soft? Or maybe I am expecting too much!
Been tinkering with Adobe Elements 6.0:

Unsharp mask 100% at 4 pixels and 5 level threshold.