Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax A rear 2X S teleconverter works as a treat

I got this teleconverter off ebay for 150 US dollars. There was this difficult choice to either have a L converter or S converter.

I tested this converter out yesterday with A* 300 2.8 and the images were reasonable wide open!! Just the manual focusing with such narrow depth of field is an art on its own right. But I got nothing to complain at all.

No crops, full unprocessed jpeg straight out of k10d

1/125s f/3.5 at 600.0mm iso800 full exif SR

1/90s f/2.8 at 600.0mm iso800 full exif SR

1/90s f/2.8 at 600.0mm iso1600 full exif

Did you see ISO 1600 with that image quality taken wide open with teleconverter, SR and shutter speed of 1/90?

I am so happy with this teleconverter and forget about going to purchase this expensive 2L (I start to wonder what kind of image I will get with that converter that is almost 475 US dollars on bhphoto!)

Cheers

01-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing magically extra special, optically, about the -L converters over the -S converters. It is just that the -S converters, both the 1.4x and 2x, are for lenses 300mm and less in focal length; while the -L converters are for lenses greater than 300mm in focal length.

That doesn' t mean that one cannot use a -S converter with a 400mm or 500mm lens. Also be aware that some lenses will not mate with the 1.4x -L converter. I learned this the hard way with my M400/5.6 lens. Had to send the 1.4x -L back to KEH because it wouldn't fit my lens. Would have had the whole set if I kept it. You can download a crummy PDF version of the manual from the Pentax web site that has the lens compatibility chart.

I agree with you in that they are just about the best teleconverter available for Pentax lenses. Too bad they aren't autofocus.
01-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

are you hand holding these??
great shots BTW
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was luck in that regard

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
There is nothing magically extra special, optically, about the -L converters over the -S converters. It is just that the -S converters, both the 1.4x and 2x, are for lenses 300mm and less in focal length; while the -L converters are for lenses greater than 300mm in focal length.

That doesn' t mean that one cannot use a -S converter with a 400mm or 500mm lens. Also be aware that some lenses will not mate with the 1.4x -L converter. I learned this the hard way with my M400/5.6 lens. Had to send the 1.4x -L back to KEH because it wouldn't fit my lens. Would have had the whole set if I kept it. You can download a crummy PDF version of the manual from the Pentax web site that has the lens compatibility chart.

I agree with you in that they are just about the best teleconverter available for Pentax lenses. Too bad they aren't autofocus.
Thanks for that input.

I had a hard time trying to figure out why there is a huge price difference between S and L adaptor.

The S teleconverter is not big and it in deed sacrifices little image quality!

I did not mind lack of auto focus here. Most of the time, I doubt autofocus would function well in these dim environment I have been shooting in...

I love these image quality coming out of the pentax S teleconverter. That means I would go and get the teleconverters along this series...

Thanks

01-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Roy

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
are you hand holding these??
great shots BTW
On monopod as always. The lens is too heavy to handhold.

I was wonderinf whether pentax F 1.7X teleconverter would work on your 500mm f4.5 at all?

It would be autofocus plus another extra reach?

James
01-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
James - nice, very nice! The second shot - colors are fantastic!!! ISO 800 and 1600 - would have never guessed!!!

Regards,
D
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

hey james. i have used a tamron 2x mc4 with very acceptable results. i never have liked 2x TCs but this one is a keeper for now. at 10usd it didn't break the bank either..

even using a monopod the results you have gotten are qite impressive at 600mm. i've tried the 500mm on a mono but need to learn technique..
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ISO 1600 is doing quite well. Isn't it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
James - nice, very nice! The second shot - colors are fantastic!!! ISO 800 and 1600 - would have never guessed!!!

Regards,
D
k10d does colour very well with ISO 1600. Most of time, the image can be noisy because insufficient exposure rather than anything else.

The image was unsharpened. No contrast adjustment done to the shots.

I was a little surprised with this adaptor

01-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been dissapointed with Tamron 1.4

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
hey james. i have used a tamron 2x mc4 with very acceptable results. i never have liked 2x TCs but this one is a keeper for now. at 10usd it didn't break the bank either..

even using a monopod the results you have gotten are qite impressive at 600mm. i've tried the 500mm on a mono but need to learn technique..
I might give X2 TC a go as well then. I had been frustrated with 1.4 TC like tamron.

Roy, could you please post some examples? That would be greatly appreciated
01-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter

your pics have convinced to get one

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I got this teleconverter off ebay for 150 US dollars. There was this difficult choice to either have a L converter or S converter.

I tested this converter out yesterday with A* 300 2.8 and the images were reasonable wide open!! Just the manual focusing with such narrow depth of field is an art on its own right. But I got nothing to complain at all.

No crops, full unprocessed jpeg straight out of k10d

1/125s f/3.5 at 600.0mm iso800 full exif SR

1/90s f/2.8 at 600.0mm iso800 full exif SR

1/90s f/2.8 at 600.0mm iso1600 full exif

Did you see ISO 1600 with that image quality taken wide open with teleconverter, SR and shutter speed of 1/90?

I am so happy with this teleconverter and forget about going to purchase this expensive 2L (I start to wonder what kind of image I will get with that converter that is almost 475 US dollars on bhphoto!)

Cheers

Hi James!

I found a like new used at B&H for $199, so that's not too bad. I decided against eekbay just in case I don't like the IQ and can always return it. Your photos are VERY encouraging to me.

I already have the Kenko 7 element 2x TC, with power zoom contacts, but I couldn't pass up the Pentax 2X-S series rear converter at that price.

I'll post my findings with both my FA* lenses to see how it holds up...

I hope it's good enough...

Cheers,
Marc
01-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

Roy, could you please post some examples? That would be greatly appreciated
getting ready too. over in post your photos
01-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi James!

I found a like new used at B&H for $199, so that's not too bad. I decided against eekbay just in case I don't like the IQ and can always return it. Your photos are VERY encouraging to me.

I already have the Kenko 7 element 2x TC, with power zoom contacts, but I couldn't pass up the Pentax 2X-S series rear converter at that price.

I'll post my findings with both my FA* lenses to see how it holds up...

I hope it's good enough...

Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc, I did read the post of Chris Gunn using his A* 400mm f2.8 with pentax 1.7 teleconverter on DPR (the only thread that interested me though). That was a breathtaking experience seeing his images!

A Rear converter does not autofocus; so your FA* 300 f2.8 would end up being manual. Not sure if you were aware of that?

I was surprised to find the images being sharp even wide open contrary to the comments made in photodo website regarding A*300 f2.8; quite tempting isn't it?

Last few days, I had been actively hunting down other precious pentax lenses. Sorry that I did not see your reply and correspond in time...

I will be eagerly waiting to see your images

Cheers
01-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter

it will be interesting, no doubt...

Hi Marc, I did read the post of Chris Gunn using his A* 400mm f2.8 with pentax 1.7 teleconverter on DPR (the only thread that interested me though). That was a breathtaking experience seeing his images!
I think I have too many now - I have TBA!!!!

I own two 1.7x TC, a Kenko 1.5x, a Vivitar 2x Macro MF TC, a Kenko 2x KAF2 7 element (allows power zoom functions).

QuoteQuote:
A Rear converter does not autofocus; so your FA* 300 f2.8 would end up being manual. Not sure if you were aware of that?
Yep. Thanks for letting me know though... I don't mind, since it's normally like my 1.7x config - the targets are always that minimum distance away where the lens focus distance is close to or at infinity...

QuoteQuote:
I was surprised to find the images being sharp even wide open contrary to the comments made in photodo website regarding A*300 f2.8; quite tempting isn't it?
No kidding - yours sold me! I hope mine is not a dud, although I wish more colors were available outdoros right now to really confirm it's performance.

QuoteQuote:
Last few days, I had been actively hunting down other precious pentax lenses. Sorry that I did not see your reply and correspond in time...

I will be eagerly waiting to see your images

Cheers
Hey, no clock was running - no worries!

Let me know if you don't decide on that FA* 200/2.8... I promise to post when time permits, since this exhibit stuff is taking a lot of my time right now...

Cheers,
Marc
01-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wish me luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Let me know if you don't decide on that FA* 200/2.8... I promise to post when time permits, since this exhibit stuff is taking a lot of my time right now...

Cheers,
Marc
Well, Marc. I am not letting that Fa* 200 f2.8 go easily. Hehe. If there is no deal, I will private you instead.

Really keen to use that with teleconverter too.

We are forming our own fanboy club here. lol

p.s. I might start to sell off my sigma gear if I am continuing this buying spree like this.

BTW I let go the Tamron 300 f2.8 in the end on ebay because I realised that one was an older version... No circular blade hence hectagon bokeh

Cheers