Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Wide lense question ??

I am looking at getting a wide angle lense for landscape photography. The Sigma 10-20 f3.5 looks great but would I be better off with a Pentax prime such as the 14mm or 15mm? I would like to hear the opinion of someone who might have tried both. Thanks!

01-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 15mm will probably deliver the best IQ overall, but then again you don't get the convenience of having a zoom that's also a bit wider.

I would recommend the 14mm as it doesn't get very high reviews. I've used the 15mm and I loved it!

See these reviews:
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax 14mm F2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brownie4u Quote
I am looking at getting a wide angle lense for landscape photography. The Sigma 10-20 f3.5 looks great but would I be better off with a Pentax prime such as the 14mm or 15mm? I would like to hear the opinion of someone who might have tried both. Thanks!
Why confine yourself to prime wide angles when considering Pentax lenses ? I was considering the Sigma 10-20...also the Pentax 12-24. I got the Pentax 12-24 and I'm very happy after 1000's of photos with it.

One thing that swayed me was Popular Photography's excellent review of this lens.
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

I had a Sigma 10-20, which was a lens I really enjoyed using. But for me the downsides were the size and weight of the lens, and that the images were a bit on the soft side. Neither were great issues, but I sold it and got a Pentax 15 Limited. For me, that's much better. Small and light - easy and convenient to just slip in your pocket, and great image quality. I wouldn't want to dissuade anybody from getting the Sigma 10-20, because it's not a bad lens, but I would heartily recommend the 15 Limited. I'll not be selling that.
Yes, the 10-20 does go much wider, but I really don't miss that.

01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

For landscape, many people use a tripod which makes the weight of the lens somewhat moot. The 12-24 provides lots of flexibility and has excellent IQ. Weight a bit, but I've carried it around all day.
01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Though an excellent lens, I got tired of the weigh and bulk of the SMC 12-24. I got myself the DA 15 during the holiday pricing discount, in time for Cambodia+Vietnam trip, the lens never left the camera.
01-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
For landscape, many people use a tripod which makes the weight of the lens somewhat moot.
I would disagree. Weight is a big benefit with a tripod. The more weight the more stable the tripod is, and for landscape that is important

As for the OP's question, unless you are doing some very artistic shots with a large foreground subject against the background, a 10mm lens is likely too wide for landscapes as it makes even the biggest mountain in the distance insignificant. I like longer lenses usually
01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great info. I do carry a tripod, but weight is still an issue. My primary use will be on hiking trips. Having a lense that fits in my pocket makes sense. The fewer times I have to take off my pack and swap lenses the better. I should stop by a local retailer and hold one of the Sigma 10-20 lenses and maybe a DA 12-24 to get a feel of the size and weight.

Is anyone familiar with a review / resource that shows the same subject / scene shot with a 10, 12, 15 focal length?
This way I can get an idea of how much I will gain with the 10mm.

Currently my widest lense is the kit 18-135WR.

01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Maybe this might help to compare the angles of view
Focal length comparison tool, Tamron USA
01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I have the DA 14 & Tamron 10-24.
INMHO the DA 14 is the better lens optically, but you lose the flexibility of the zoom....BUT....both are relatively large, heavy lenses, and are not going to qualify for your "in the pocket" requirement. Probably the best for your hiking needs is what you already have, the 18-135.
I have used a mates Pentax 12-24 and it was good, very good, better than either of the above two.

There is one lens that I always carry, no matter the occasion....the DA 21. It is a genuine "in your pocket" option and it produces stellar images in most lighting situations. Sure it is not quite as wide, but as mentioned, landcsape photography is not just about going wide.

And if you really want wide then stitching software such as Microsoft ICE makes panos pretty easy.

Cheers
Grant
01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would disagree. Weight is a big benefit with a tripod. The more weight the more stable the tripod is, and for landscape that is important
That is true, but I was thinking that if you are carrying 10 lbs of tripod, a 1 lb lens is insignificant.
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Love my Sigma 8-16mm:

Guess it depends how wide you want to go. Certainly at the 8-10mm end you have to think very carefully about composition!
01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I regularly use the 15 and 21 but sometimes I must get wider in order to frame the shot. The sigma 10-20 (4.5 version) gets plenty of use in this case. When I need to frame the sun in the shot, however, I won't use the sigma because the da15 is so much better at flare resistance. I think they compliment each other well. If I had to choose, you know I'd stick with my primes.
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Love my Sigma 8-16mm:

Guess it depends how wide you want to go. Certainly at the 8-10mm end you have to think very carefully about composition!
Wow! Can I use that Touloume shot as my new desktop picture? How much photo editing was required to get it to look that good?
01-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #15

When I'm using the DA15 Limited and I need to go wider (which for me is very infrequently) I'll take a couple of pictures and 'stitch' them together in photoshop elements - a solution that works well for me, just for that odd occasion.