Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kicking myself

Sometimes I hate not acting on impulse.
About an hour ago I was trawling the 'Pentax film cameras' on ebay, looking for an undiscovered gem of a lens in a jumble of otherwise average gear.
I saw an ad for a bag of old stuff. $30 BIN + $20 postage. P30, 1.4 50mm lens, bag, filters, other brand 50mm lens....WHAT? f1.4 lens? How much??
Don't ask me why I had to think about it for two minutes, but in that two minutes, with heat prickles running up the back of my neck, someone else who was born without the 'Loser' gene bought it.
If someone else on here bought that apparently excellent condition A-50mm f1.4 for $50, please revisit this thread when it arrives and tell me it's got an oily aperture, full of fungus and a big old chip right in the middle of that big front element. Only then will I stop kicking myself.

Regards

01-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad, but there's a good chance it had something wrong with it.
In those situations, I tend to think it wasn't meant to be for reasons I don't understand.
And often, something even better is just around the corner.
01-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Aww, don't worry about it. The buyer was probably in the same position, but just found the ad a little earlier. It sucks to live in a system where rashness is rewarded instead of giving things thought.
01-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Try looking at it this way: You saved the money for use on a purchase you can make through a trusted seller in the Pentaxforums marketplace or elsewhere. Best wishes.

01-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been looking as well and missed a few f1.4 Super Takumars in the last few days mostly just over my budget. I did not see the one you speak of . There seems to be quite a few out there. Keep looking, one will turn up.
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

He who hesitates is lost!
01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

I wouldn't sweat it either. I once sprung for one of these grab bags of lenses and 3 out of the 4 turned out to be total duds. I was lucky enough that one of them was decent enough to sell and break even on but if not for that it would have been a total loss
01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Kicking myself
Would you like us to do that for you, just in case you miss again?

Don't be so hard on yourself, you ideal lens is out there somewhere, just bide your time.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
01-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

On route from USA to home we had 10 hours wait at Heathrow. There was a 50 - 135 for GBP499 in duty free. Only when I got home did I realise the missed bargain. Still kicking...
01-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Sometimes we can win. I "needed" a Genuine M42 adapter, found one and was outbid by fifty cents, 1 day later, found another, listed under buy it now for less than the one that I was out bid on. 2 weeks ago, I was in a local thrift shop, spotted an old Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens. I somewhat memorized the lens info. Yesterday, I researched the lens on this forums database, went back, the camera was still there, paid $9.50. The lens IS the early 8 element, and in pretty good shape, just waiting for the adapter to try it.
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

In 2011, before I fully came to appreciate and use MF lenses, I deliberated over a Kijiji ad for several K lenses - 200/2.5, 55/2, 50/1.4 and 28/2.0. All for CAD $150, but a three-hour drive from home. I knew enough from the PF database that all of these were good, but didn't really appreciate the 200mm and 28mm gems. It would have been a day trip but I had the time - the ad was listed on a Saturday. A day later, of course, the ad was gone and the 'kicking' began. And it continues to this day.

Having learned my lesson, move the calendar forward a year. I dropped into a local thrift shop to check for any goodies. This time I jumped on a just-placed basket of Spotmatic F, S-M-C Tak 85/1.8, SMC Tak 55/1.8 and S-M-C Tak 35/3.5, all immaculate and with hoods and cases. And a couple of odds and ends as a bonus. The price gave me pause, but only for a moment. I paid and walked out with the basket and a huge smile (or smirk).

I have also lucked into other superb lenses for cheap (e.g., Pentax-F 50/1.7 for $40). Sometimes we hesitate and lose, but occasionally jump and win.

- Craig