Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
That looks in as good of condition (if not better) than my recently acquired Sigma 28 mm f/2.8 mini-wide II.
Zeiss lenses are just so much more highly rated.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/formercanuck/15076414408/
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/formercanuck/15239975236/
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/formercanuck/15262592792/
Yours "formercanuk" looks like its a heavy weight. The "CZJ" is very light. For some reason I feel like going to take some photos with that little gem.

Liz

09-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it's not a Zeiss lens. It just carries the Zeiss name.
It just carries the communist Zeiss name too. Zeiss Jena was formed in the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German "Democratic" Republic = East Germany) after the Soviet conquest of eastern Europe at the end of the Second World War.

Are the Zeiss Jena lenses as good as the Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) lenses in image and build quality? Other goods made behind the Iron Curtain had poor reputations.
09-26-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, I know, made by Sigma, I have both 24mm and 28mm I just like the look of this one and nice brown case
09-27-2014, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
what needs to be trimmed to fix the problem?
Yikes! Ricoh Pin! The more deadly variant!!!

Do not mount again without removing it!!!

Steve

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 10:54 PM ----------

What he said! It is a long story, but the Japanese-made CJZ lenses have no Zeiss connection except for the seller having the marketing rights to the name in certain countries. They are generic product similar to various off-brand lenses such as Rexatar and Focal. The Japanese CZJ were sold in Britain and France and perhaps elsewhere. Does not mean they are bad? No, all it means is that they are not Zeiss Jena.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 11:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Are the Zeiss Jena lenses as good as the Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) lenses in image and build quality?
Good enough that the Oberkochen entity used Jena lenses on some cameras. There are a couple of CJZ lenses that I would love to add to my shelf, but the prices are too high. There are many assumptions regarding the East German optical industry that are unfounded. Probably the biggest is that that Carl Zeiss, Jena was invented by the post-war occupying forces. Jena is the town where Zeiss was born and was the location of their lens works before, during, and after WWII. While some hold that the legitimate Zeiss entity was in Oberkochen, the pedigree actually runs through the East German branch. After German reunification, Zeiss (both houses) wasted no time in merging their efforts and the current "official" company history reflects the perspective that both were valid. In regards to the product, justst because they were under communist rule does not justify a broad brush stroke of inferior quality. There is a huge difference in build between a post-war CJZ Biotar 58/2 (for example) and the Biotar-derived, but Soviet-made Helios 44-2.

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de/history/locations.html

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de/history/locations/oberkochen.html

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de/history/locations/jena.html

Not that it makes any difference for this thread. The lenses discussed here have as much in common with Zeiss (either entity) as sauerkraut has with sushi.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2014 at 11:38 PM.
09-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not that it makes any difference for this thread. The lenses discussed here have as much in common with Zeiss (either entity) as sauerkraut has with sushi.
Steve
well, well well....not very true , I am just cooking sauerkraut with smoked chicken and dry porcini mushrooms and it will be part of very delicious sushi dish.