Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #16

I'll just toss another "me too" into the mix and say that all my lenses have B+W CPLs on them. The only thing I'll add is that before I bought my last B+W CPL, I actually purchased one of the Higher level Hoya CPLs and tried it out. What I found was that the Hoya was a half stop "lighter" than the B+W. I do a lot of stream/waterfall photography and that difference made enough of a difference to me. I returned it and bought another B+W CPL.

02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
My Tammy 70-200 cost $625 used. It's going to get a B &W UV which might cost me $150(got to protect the investment).
Yes, I mentioned my 10% rule, but there are always exceptions. Perhaps I should have just formulated it as "if the price of the filter gets over 10% of the price of the lens, think hard about whether it's worth buying one"

Tamron doesn't seem to make very strong coatings - I scratched the coating of my 17-50 while cleaning up a fingerprint, so putting a filter with better coating over your 70-200 makes sense.

It's not as if coat scratches or even glass scratches will have any significant impact on the performance of the lens, but if you want to sell the lens, those scratches will cost money. I got a great deal on my Super Takumar 50/1.4 on ebay - the seller was honest and disclosed in the description that the lens had cleaning marks on front and rear elements - and then I was the only bidder - got it for around $45. The lens works great - it is perfect mechanically - it is the best Takumar I had. The cleaning marks have no impact on results:

(taken with the K10D)